If you could go back to your first day of T keeping, what advice would you give yourself?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Obviously, I mean tarantula-related advice. Not which sports team to bet on, or who to avoid marrying, etc. :D

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
For the love of god, leave it alone, don't forget to refill water, and get that heat lamp out of there the temperature is just fine... At 12-13 I was not exactly the most informed, and my first suffered for it :( She helped teach me some valuable lessons and led me here, I miss her dearly, RIP Petra a beautiful E. campestratus.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Don't sweat every little detail -- learn everything you can and do your best, of course. But also remember to chill a bit and just let them be. Don't try to micro-manage, control or over think everything.
Just enjoy your Ts and trust them to know how to tarantula! :)

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
Handle. The. Vial. More. Carefully. (and less)

I know you're a complete klutz but stop jostling the poor little sling. You're lucky you started out with a tough species.

Also, its soil does not need to be THAT moist. You are just upsetting the spider when you soak the soil like that. Stop trying to increase ambient humidity.

cold blood

Staff member
Wait, what? You waited that long before a second spider? What was your first?
boring porteri....did things so slowly it took forever to learn anything meaningful...lol. Got 2 others, a brachy and a pulchripes and learned more from them in a month than I did from that porteri in 9 years...lol. The next 10 years obviously saw significant expansion...lol.

boina

Lady of the mites
You don't need to handle your tarantula to be a good keeper!!! Whoever told you that was a complete idiot.

I never ever wanted to handle them but I thought I had to because someone told me"if you are scared and can't hold your tarantula you shouldn't have one in the first place". There are still pics on my computer of me awkwardly holding my Emilia :bag:.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Obviously, I mean tarantula-related advice.
When doing cage maintenance, it defeats the purpose of using tongs if you are just going to set the water dish in your hand when removing it. Do you like having itchy hands?

Don't wait until your male matures to start lining up potential dates.

Pet holes aren't as boring as you think.