If you could change anything about the hobby...

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Lol.. there is no problem. It's just weird to me. Ive named one spider that I remember and that's the one I've had the longest. A G porteri I call Nibbles. That's an important spider to me. I guess they're all on that level of importance to people like you?
When i first started I named them but I don't now.
Some people like to give names to them all and it is totally fine, nothing wrong with it.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
You wanna waste your time naming things, go for it. Not for me. Might as well name your car, keys, phone and etc.
I named a few of my firearms, i have Denzel Washington, Clint Eastwood, and John Wick. Its mostly just for fun. I don't name any of my Tarantula though, I believe names are meant for something that can acknowledge said given name in the event you want their attention. But I certainly don't mind people that do name their pets.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Most of these basically just boil down to "I'd change people".

Yeah, common names are annoying but pretty much nobody outside of the hobby or any related science fields uses binomial nomenclature so they're going to be just as confused trying to figure out what an Acanthoscurria geniculata is as I will be trying to figure out what the hell a Burmese Mustard is.

TheDarkLordOfMuffins

Arachnopeon
I do not care for the variety of conflicting information out there, there are sites that tell you to change the temps and humidity percentage of your T room depending on the season as well as the time of day. And some sites tell you that you need a ten-gallon tank for that T, on another page, it's 7 gallons, and still another it's 17, and the substrate needs to be sand, no potting soil, no coco fiber, but with moss mixed into it, but only the right moss, and no vermiculite, but yes, only about 5 %. I get why people are confused.

And the handling, man, If I could just stop the handling I would be fine. When people find out I have T's they all ask me if they can touch them. No, you can not. T's are like fishes, they are for looking not touching. I don't care how soft it looks, it doesn't like you, it doesn't want to be petted. But no, every idiot has seen someone on youtube handle T's so now all T's must enjoy being handled, even though mostly the T just tries frantically to get to solid ground again. No, Karen, I'm sure it loves you and you have a special bond until it bites you and you drop it and it's dead because you were stupid.

I'm sorry, I'm just a bit angry because I had to explain to my mom for half an hour today, why I don't want her to touch the T's. But she has seen someone on T'v handle one, so sure, go ahead try to cuddle The P. irminia, I'm sure it'll be fine. It's just that people act like it's me not wanting them to have fun, it's me not permitting them to handle for no good reason, because if the T could decide it would want to be petted because all the youtubers handle their T's. I hate it so much.
my wife wanted to handle my new world and I am hesitant for her to do it. I'm not entirely against handling if its done for the right reasons. My B.Hamorii will physically not move until she crawls into my hand for a rehouse. I don't poke or prod, if she doesn't initiate it then I don't and I go in knowing full well that something random like thunder could scare her into biting me. That's fine. She usually gets handled if I open the lid as she will just crawl out sit on my hand and not move and if that's the case then I don't move. Most people when they handle either grab the spider or prod them and force them into doing it. This just pisses them off. If the crawl onto my hand as if they would crawl on their substrate at a slow pace then I know that as long as I do not rush I would be fine. I don't stand either I keep her half a foot above her enclosure so if she did stupidly fall on her fruition its on cocofibre not concrete or in the jaws of one of the cats which aren't around when this happens anyway. My C. Dyscolus or C. Kaeng Krachan WILL NEVER BE HANDLED unless they bolt and I catch them.

You wanna waste your time naming things, go for it. Not for me. Might as well name your car, keys, phone and etc.
I think a creature you care for is not the sames as inanimate objects. With that logic you shouldn't name a dog or a cat. They are animals, they might operate more on instinct but that does not mean they are the same as plants or your sofa. I have seen scorpions tell the difference between food and not food whether that is down to the most basic of reasonings or senses it still means they are aware if on the most basic level

Last edited by a moderator:

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
My wish is very typical of Aussies. I simply wish to be able to import exotics. I wouldn't mind if it required expensive licensing or lots of regulations, I just want my damn Chilobrachys and Cyclocosmia

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My wish is very typical of Aussies. I simply wish to be able to import exotics. I wouldn't mind if it required expensive licensing or lots of regulations, I just want my damn Chilobrachys and Cyclocosmia
Likewise, I'm sure many of us would like to be able to keep Australian tarantulas.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Likewise, I'm sure many of us would like to be able to keep Australian tarantulas.
Yea for sure, all you guys would definitely love the featherlegs (Selenotypus) I'm sure of it

Also @TheDarkLordOfMuffins if you're talking about Chilobrachys behaviour, you should see what Australian tarantula juvies are a like

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
When i first started I named them but I don't now.
Some people like to give names to them all and it is totally fine, nothing wrong with it.
Yup.. go for it. Weird to me, and I'd kinda rather it be a thing, but ultimately I don't really care.

@TheDarkLordOfMuffins your logic is flawed to me and the reason in further in your response. They operate much more on spacial memory and instinct than popular mammals. Thus, they are little more than cool objects I enjoy but don't love me and I'm logical enough to accept that. Dogs, however, do know me and "love" me. Thus, they are much more highly valued and loved and appreciated. I wouldn't keep a hundred dogs in cages and observe them lol. Spiders on the other hand..

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Yup.. go for it. Weird to me, and I'd kinda rather it be a thing, but ultimately I don't really care.

@TheDarkLordOfMuffins your logic is flawed to me and the reason in further in your response. They operate much more on spacial memory and instinct than popular mammals. Thus, they are little more than cool objects I enjoy but don't love me and I'm logical enough to accept that. Dogs, however, do know me and "love" me. Thus, they are much more highly valued and loved and appreciated. I wouldn't keep a hundred dogs in cages and observe them lol. Spiders on the other hand..
Have to agree. I name a handful of them for the single purpose of helping my mother to remember which one is which, however she's moved on to "the big male (P.Rubiseta)", "the one that's always out (S.Kotzman)", and "the one I don't like (P.Strennus after it bolted 10cm when I first bought it as a sling)". Other than that, names are reserved for the reptiles and dogs. There's not really any harm in naming your inverts but no benefit either

Drea

Arachnosquire
I wish the restriction of sales between the states of Sri Lanka’s Poecilotheria’s was lifted. I understand that those species are endangered but not being allowed to sale them from state to state isn’t going to help the situation over there.
They are more than enough people that breed them here that several can be donated back to there natural habit to increase populations.

I fear it will make it worse. There has been no reason or profit to be made from illegal collecting and smuggling of these animals because they are thriving here with so many people breeding them. They will be harder to get which means someone of the criminal element will see profit in illegal actions.

Now several from Brazil are going to be added to the restricted list which isn’t going to help the bad situation over there. Several species are only alive today because people have intervened to protect those animals. It is true that the loss of natural habit is being consumed by people and animals are being forced into new areas or extinction, but as human population expands they only way to keep certain species alive is to promote interventions and captivity in certain circumstances.

Hobbyists are not the cause of this problem yet we are the ones being held responsible and accountable for it. However, I think many species of tarantulas and other invertebrates will eventually only exist because of hobbyists maintaining pure blood lines as loss of natural habit continues.

You can't keep Australian Ts?

Nope, and that goes both ways. We can’t have anything from there but they can’t have anything from anywhere.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
You can't keep Australian Ts?
Australia doesn't allow export of its wildlife for the pet trade, and after experience with some invasive species, they generally don't allow the import of wildlife from other countries.

Drea

Arachnosquire
Australia doesn't allow export of its wildlife for the pet trade, and after experience with some invasive species, they generally don't allow the import of wildlife from other countries.

And here I am complaining about just 5 species... I should be grateful for what we can have. And it’s not like we can’t get those 5 pokies, it just has to be from your own state. I feel shame now. Haha

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
From brighter side, we can at least taste aussie Ts, we still have crassipes, and it is dirt cheap and common.
But I agree it would be great to have some Selenotypus spp..