1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If he was a mammal this would be a bad sign...

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Georgia B, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Georgia B

Georgia B Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    FE71CFCB-B2C6-4A52-A50F-A285C7E54759.jpeg My centipede has had his head submerged in his water dish for at least 24 hours. (I know he’s not drowning because of course they breath through their spiracles, but as a vertebrate I still find it a little unnerving...) Is this weird? Does it take that long to drink or is he just chilling out in there? Maybe he’s just depressed...JK. He has moved slightly so I know he’s not dead. I do keep the sub under his hide moist. I do actually worry about the little guy quite a bit as he is not a big eater as I am led to believe they often are, like maybe 1 cricket a month, and generally doesn’t move much. Can somebody reassure me? Or warn me of my pet’s impending doom in a reassuring way?

(Pardon the hard water buildup in the water dish... it looks kind of yucky but the water is clean.)

2. Georgia B

Georgia B Arachnopeon

OK never mind...I just nudged him gently with a stick and he is now for sure dead.

• Sad Sad x 1
  3. Nightshady

Nightshady Dislike Harvester Arachnosupporter

That sucks, so sorry. Any idea what happened?

4. Georgia B

Georgia B Arachnopeon

Yeah thanks. My only guess is humidity? As I said I kept the sub under his hide moist by pouring a little water there, but the rest of the enclosure was dry so when I try again I’ll change that and make sure it’s all moist all the time.

Also the sub wasn’t deep enough to burrow in, which was a choice on my part because I wanted to be able to see him. I never saw any attempts at burrowing which led me to believe he was satisfied with the cork bark hide. Do you think that might have stressed him enough to kill him?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AvLteralice

AvLteralice Arachnopeon

so he died of desiccation.. suggesting to add more substrate for them to burrow/dig and watch out for humidity next time. sorry for your loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Georgia B

Georgia B Arachnopeon

Yeah thanks. Painful learning experience.

But while I’ve got ya’ll here, if I wanted to use a centipede for educational purposes, like taking it into classrooms as a science enrichment thing, how could I ensure that it would be out for the kids to see? If it was in a burrow, would it be super stressful for it if I used a long handled tool of some kind to disturb it so it comes out? Not every day or anything, just once in a while. I don’t want to be a perpetrator of bug abuse, but at the same time they are a super valuable learning tool.

7. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnoangel

If you want the 'pede to be always active, you might want to consider a different species. Some species like S. heros and S. hainanum appear to be fond of surfacing for long periods of time. Centipede temperament varies between species and individual; some dehaani like yours are always aboveground and some are never to be seen. High humidity, even to levels that cause condensation to appear, combined with a sealed lid with only a few airholes (screen lids are never good for 'pedes) mimics a naturally moist environment and can coax some shier 'pedes out into the open. You can also try not feeding it for about two weeks before you plan to show it to a class, and this could possibly cause it to be very active as it is trying to hunt. You can bring a roach or cricket and feed it while it is on display for a nice spectacle.

Keeping the substrate deep is essential to centipede keeping. While it is possible to keep Asian centipedes in drier environments, they need at least 4-5" of substrate to burrow in to seek humidity. Note that with a very humid enclosure, less substrate is needed as the centipede does not have to burrow to conserve water.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Georgia B

Georgia B Arachnopeon

Thank you so much that is very helpful!!!!!!

9. Georgia B

Georgia B Arachnopeon

Except that I just looked up those species and they cost $400!!!! Good gracious. I might be better off with a couple of dehaanis (which are $65) and hope for an exhibitionist individual and follow your other advice.

(At least those are the prices here in Canada, you lucky duck Americans and your bug selection...)

10. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnoangel

Oops... Forgot to check that. Stick with dehaani then, but hopefully in the future Canada will have a wider selection!

(And despite heros being native to the U.S. it is still exorbitantly priced here too.)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. NYAN

NYAN Arachnodemon Active Member

CA
    I can vouch for what was said above. My heros I just bought spends most of its time running around the enclosure. Also my dehanni I keep in a plastic tub with about 70 air holes. I’ve seen it out more than when I had one which was in a sceeen cage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Staehilomyces

Staehilomyces Arachnoprince Active Member

In a bizarre twist, sometimes adding more potential hiding places will get pedes out in the open more often. The species I principally keep, Ethmostigmus rubripes, are often regarded as pet holes, which I think is due to the fact that most people keep them on deep substrate with no hides. I keep mine on shallower substrate (though still deep enough for them to burrow in), with leaf/bark litter. As a result, my pedes are out for at least half the day, and may remain out through the entire day. I feel that this is because they feel less exposed when housed in this manner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Georgia B

Georgia B Arachnopeon

14. dragonfire1577

dragonfire1577 Arachnobaron Active Member

I've seen hainanum for like $65 and heros from like $85 to $175, you just need to take some time to look around

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Scoly

Scoly Arachnoknight

What temperature were you keeping him at? I once found a pedeling drowned in its water dish before I knew that pedes don't like high temps, and now suspect it may have been trying to keep cool (I actually managed to resuscitate it and it made it, but died a few months later).

16. Georgia B

Georgia B Arachnopeon

It was just at room temperature, so like 20 C which is 68 F.