1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identifying Common Heterometrus

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by G. Carnell, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Rigelus

Rigelus Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    Thanks George..;)

2. rex_arachne

rex_arachne Arachnobaron Old Timer

how come my supposed H. "laoticus" sling has been very matte black since I2 (it is now I5)? could it be a H. cyaneus instead?

3. i believe h.cyaneus has a blue sheen...:?

4. Vixvy

Vixvy Arachnobaron Old Timer

If it came from me definitely it is H.loaticus i have sent picz of my h.spinnifer & h. laoticus to Mr.G he ID it as Laoticus hehe!

5. rex_arachne

rex_arachne Arachnobaron Old Timer

and another thing i observed with that Heterometrus: it is more aggressive and highly strung compared to my other Heterometrus spp. (longimanus and petersii/"spinifer").

6. I got 2 spinifers, 1 is greenish and the other one is bluish. The bluish one is bigger than the green one.

7. PICS PICS PICS!!!:D

8. Here are pics of the greenish "spinifer". They are claimed to by "hybrids" because when they are put inside a communal tank with other spinifers or other "hybrids", one would die.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Here are pics of the bluish "spinifer"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. prosoma comparison

bluish
    [​IMG]

greenish
    [​IMG]

11. looks both heterometrus spinifer to me. :)

12. G. Carnell

G. Carnell Arachnoemperor Old Timer

EU
    yea, and both old specimens! :eek:

the claws look weird... but who knows? :p

13. based on the stories from different people who bought from this single seller, when they placed these "hybrid"/"spinifers" in a communal tank with other spinifer scorps, they would react violently and causing death to the other scorps.

Take note that these scorps may be wild caught. We don't know where it was harvested though.

14. the claw looks like it has a bump or a hump at the side, same to laoticus, hybrid? LOLOLOL!!!:wicked:

15. @ simpleng garapal, please post again your greenish and bluish heterometrus, i cant differentiate the two, i need the whole pic of the head, please include also the next segment to head, and if you can, please take a clear pic of it with the dimention of 650x800 or near to it, i think the other one looks like longimanus.

16. H. laoticus

H. laoticus Arachnoprince

Please help me identify this guy xD
    i'm certain it's not laoticus now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Longimanus

Longimanus Arachnopeon

I reckon based on the ID keys... that's H. petersii. Prosoma almost as smooth as laoticus but with a slight granulation. The bluish, greenish coloration and bulbous chela is also quite indicative of petersii...

Feel free to Correct me if I'm wrong

18. Longimanus

Longimanus Arachnopeon

More Hetrometrus for ID practice

I profiled 5 Heterometrus specimens in my collection for ID confirmation; enclosed with close-ups depicting (as best I can) the prosoma, patella, chela, and telson as reference keys.

Almost certainly a pair of H. petersii
    Specimen 1: Abaddon (male) – arrived as adult;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    *note the pronounced 'tooth' as depicted in the sexual dimorphism of this species
    [​IMG]

Specimen 2: Behemoth (female) – arrived as adult suspected to be H. petersii; yielded brood
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    *no pronounced tooth
    [​IMG]

These 3 got me stumped. I reckon 3 and 5 to be H. laoticus due to lack of granulation on the prosoma. No. 4 could be a sub-adult H. petersii
    Specimen 3: Fester (male) – arrived as 3rd instar, don't know if its adult
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Specimen 4: Gomez (male) – arrived as 4th instar; granulation on prosoma present
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Specimen 5: Phyliss (female) – arrived as 3rd instar, don't know if its adult
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any other suggestions as to what they might be?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  19. awesome thread! :clap: :clap: :clap:

:)

20. Christoffer

Christoffer Arachnosquire

Norway
    Why is this thread dead? :(