1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas for using excess feeders

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Mithricat, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Mithricat

Mithricat Arachnosquire

Greece
    Advertisement
    So it has come to this...

My Dubia colony is beginning to produce matures and the number of males is increasing. It's still early enough that it's not a serious problem yet but by summer's end I'll be swamped. The current generation that is maturing I bought as nymphs but with them I also bought matures that have given birth to hundreds of younger nymphs which will start turning into adults within a couple of months...

My B. lateralis colony, which wasn't supposed to even be a colony, started with 40 nymphs I was given as free feeders for my Tarantula. It takes so long to consume them that I'm down to 20 and already I'm getting matures and today I noticed an ootheca...

I'm looking for a way to reduce their numbers naturally and without being cruel. They may be feeders but they deserve their life to have value. I could conceivably freeze them but that would mean I'd be cruelly wasting perfectly good insects grown on vegetables, honey and high quality food. I'd much rather feed them to something else so they are not wasted and they contribute back to the circle of life.

Any ideas? I have some young chickens that might be interested but I'm not sure they would eat roaches...

2. The wolf

The wolf Arachnobaron Active Member

U.K.
    You could stop heating them then they won't breed right?

3. Mithricat

Mithricat Arachnosquire

Greece
    I am not heating them! It's summer and our temperatures here in Greece are pretty high. If anything I'd have to cool them to make them breed slower

4. The wolf

The wolf Arachnobaron Active Member

U.K.
    Oh right sry I got nothing

5. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

Been there. Even when I had an adult African bullfrog who'd eat 20 adults in a single sitting I was still overrun. Didn't heat them either. I regularly gave around half my colony away to a friend who passed them around.

Not sure how but see if anyone local has monitor lizards or similar. Failing that maybe contact a zoo or rescue centre and post them out.

6. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoangel Active Member

Texas
    Eat them yourself and let us know what they taste like. They are feeders after all right?

7. Sarkhan42

Sarkhan42 Arachnobaron Active Member

I see Entomophagy in your future... Mealworms are pretty good sautéed with butter, why not dubias?

8. Aquarimax

Aquarimax Arachnodemon Active Member

Utah
    My chicken love crickets, mealworms, even fruit flies..they seem to enjoy chasing them down. I bet they’d go crazy for excess roaches, live or frozen, but ESPECIALLY live.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mpmackenna

Mpmackenna ArachnoNerd Arachnosupporter

Chickens love to eat insects. I hear they taste like chicken. Seriously though, give them to your chickens.

10. sdsnybny

sdsnybny Arachnogeek Arachnosupporter

Yes, chickens, ducks, geese all of them will love extra insects. Find a local farmer to give them too.

11. Mithricat

Mithricat Arachnosquire

Greece
    Thank you, I think chickens are my best option and fortunately I got my own. There is no way any reptiles or frogs will be able to make a dent in their numbers but if chickens like them then it should be easy.

Given that they have been grown with fresh fruits, vegetables and honey they should be quite a nutritious treat too

• Like Like x 1
  12. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

You can also try selling them or taking them to reptile/insect shows to trade/sell.

• Like Like x 1
  13. spookyvibes

spookyvibes Arachnobaron Active Member

Indiana
    My chickens LOVE dubias! Not too long ago I took a few dubias out to the coop because I had read on Backyard Chickens that some people were starting colonies for their chickens: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/raising-dubia-roaches-for-your-chickens.68036/
    And what do you know, they were chasing the roaches, chasing whoever had a roach, honestly just having a good time. Plus I got to get rid of some excess males, so my colony is a bit calmer now. So yeah, give any excess to your chickens. They will love you for it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

I admit I don't have any experience with chickens (I like the idea of using excess feeders for them though), but you may want to be careful feeding off female roaches in case they escape. You wouldn't want an invasive species there! But if the chickens hit the roaches hard I'd assume the chance of an escapee is extremely low.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. nepenthe

nepenthe Arachnopeon

The craigslist pet section and your local facebook free and for sale groups are easy ways to get rid of them locally.

16. Mithricat

Mithricat Arachnosquire

Greece
    I wouldn't worry about the Dubias, we get pretty cold winters here and it's extremely unlikely any will survive even if they escape. I will be careful with the lateralis though, these little monsters are survivors.

We don't have craigslist here and the hobby is so limited I'm unlikely to find someone. Although I guess someone with reptiles like bearded dragons might want some. Shipping countrywide isn't really an option because shipping insects through the post is a huge grey area and the law is up to interpretation according to the mood of the employee who may notice...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Veles

Veles Arachnobaron

Keep some and make a micro ecosystem.
    Add some native predators of course.

18. Mithricat

Mithricat Arachnosquire

Greece
    Chickens love them, although they seem to prefer the B. lateralis over the B. dubia, perhaps because of the size

I'm thinking of adopting a parrot to consume some of them regularly. Anyone here who owns any parakeet/parrot species?

19. jhilde

jhilde Arachnopeon

Here in Canada we cant have roaches but I do keep mealworms. Whenever I have need to thin out numbers I feed them to the wild birds. They go crazy for insects in the dead of winter.

20. Mithricat

Mithricat Arachnosquire

Greece
    The wild crows here could easily deplete my colony in an hour :hilarious: