Ideas for cheap heating.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just use a small thermostat-controlled ceramic space heater. It doesn't use all that much electricity and it keeps the room nice and warm for all of our inverts and reptiles.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I'm thinking of using Flexwatt running down a shelving unit. Should it be touching the plastic of the tanks, or should it be kept a few inches away?
>6" away from non glass enclosures, may warp plastic/acrylic type, unless controlled by a thermostat. Thermostat should be in close proximity of the enclosures for good results.

@Tanner Dzula, well aware of the high temperatures, a friend lives in Peoria a stones throw away. Visiting during 4th of July, sat in the shade sipping gin and tonics, still lost 5 lbs.from sweating. Lol!

@chanda, OP lives in Canada, much lower winter temps to overcome than what California contends with. ;) Double check your ceramic heater, may be one known to cause cancer/birth defects in the state of California. J/k!! I had one, worked well, until the nichrome wire broke and rendered it useless.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't use what I recommended, I have the cable stored away, I have too much stuff to heat with a cable, all 4 walls stacked with things. I use an Edenpure heater to heat the room in winter into the mid-70's to keep everything good enough until it gets hot outside again. My house is set up for central air but the AC/heater hasn't worked since I bought this house and that was 21 years ago. I live in Texas, occasionally gets into the teens but not often, sometimes it never freezes in a year here. Knowing that, the Edenpure costs me around $20-$30 a month to run. If you look around in thrift stores, you can get a good deal on one, if it works, I found one a few weeks ago for $14, works great despite some bad reviews. People get lemons and no fun reporting things that work. If there were reviews on life, you'd probably wouldn't want to get one, all the neg stuff.