Ideal substrate for African T's

MapleMatt

Arachnosquire
I have in mind just for now particularly Hysterocrates laticeps. Can I use a Coco fiber as a substrate? From my experience it gets dry quiet fast, so I'm wandering If to use these or look for something else. Thank You for tips

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I use coco fiber for all 20+ tarantulas ranging from Euathlus Sp. red all the way to Orphnaecus Sp. "Cebu", so to answer your question, yes coco fiber will work fine, others have varying opinions.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
1) Yes of course you can use coco fiber as substrate for hardcore burrower T's.

2) The one I use, a 5 KG loose bag, doesn't dry that fast. Anyway, when preparing the set up for inverts that require a 'boost' of humidity, I love to add a couple of 'tea spoons' of fine grain vermiculite, mixing well that with the coco fiber or other substrate (one moment you can use what you want: coco fiber, topsoil, Irish moss peat) this helps to mantain humidity on the long run.

Btw vermiculite isn't a substrate or a kind of substrate (at least when it comes to arachnids, I'm clueless if that stuff is suitable as a substrate stand-alone for other animals), but an addictive to add in the substrate... of course completely useless if the T's are 'GBB', 'grammos' and such, since they don't require a particular amount of humidity at all.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Most "baboons" thrives in a dry setup with just a full water dish. Coco fiber works very well for them and I use it for all my Ts, with some moss added for tropical species.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Btw vermiculite isn't a substrate or a kind of substrate (at least when it comes to arachnids, I'm clueless if that stuff is suitable as a substrate stand-alone for other animals
I believe Deadly Tarantula Girl uses pure vermiculite for several of her spiders (including 0.1 Goddess!) and she knows her stuff, so...:troll:

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I use bony dry coco fiber for all of my Harpactirinae as well, works like a charm :)

sasker

Arachnoprince
Deep layers of densely packed cocofibre don't dry out too fast, IME. Water will seep to the lower layers if you water against the sides of your enclosure. From there it will spread to the higher regions. I don't need to water very often.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I believe ###### ######### ##### uses pure vermiculite for several of her spiders (including 0.1 Goddess!) and she knows her stuff, so...:troll:
Pshht! Speak no evil, my man :lock: <-- Speak no evil 'Smilies'

Besides, as you can see, even Butters can sing. It's all relative :writer:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Top soil: Dirt - mother nature's substrate, unless you're in the desert, then sand, mother nature's substrate. Narrows it down given most T's don't live in the desert.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Yes, eco earth will work fine. Doesn't dry that fast honestly.

It's by far my favorite substrate for moisture sensitive species.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Yes, eco earth will work fine. Doesn't dry that fast honestly.
It dries so slow that this is considered a downside of the stuff. Try filling a terrarium for a hydrophobic G. rosea with dry substrate when all you got is a block of eco earth!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
It dries so slow that this is considered a downside of the stuff. Try filling a terrarium for a hydrophobic G. rosea with dry substrate when all you got is a block of eco earth!
Not IME. Dries at a perfectly good rate. Check your ventilation.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Not IME. Dries at a perfectly good rate. Check your ventilation.
That's not really what I meant. I meant that when you have to dunk a brick of eco-earth in water, leaving you with soaking wet eco-earth, while you actually can't wait to rehouse your tarantula. I find it retains and absorbs water rather well. It dries out quite normally as well, but if you can't wait, it will take longer than you would want.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That's not really what I meant. I meant that when you have to dunk a brick of eco-earth in water, leaving you with soaking wet eco-earth, while you actually can't wait to rehouse your tarantula. I find it retains and absorbs water rather well. It dries out quite normally as well, but if you can't wait, it will take longer than you would want.
I've dried eco earth quite quickly..

After expanding it all, pour out excess water if any.

Proceed to squeeze water out of substrate. Very important if you want to use it asap. It will get a little messy.

After squeezing out as much as you can, spread out the amount you want over a tray and either put it outside, or just leave it in a well ventilated room.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I've dried eco earth quite quickly..

After expanding it all, pour out excess water if any.

Proceed to squeeze water out of substrate. Very important if you want to use it asap. It will get a little messy.

After squeezing out as much as you can, spread out the amount you want over a tray and either put it outside, or just leave it in a well ventilated room.
Ah ah ah... :rofl: it's amazing, let me give you a virtual 'hug'.

Here: I just buy KG bags of, no name/fancy brand at all but quite reliable coco fiber (and Irish moss peat as well) on the loose. Arrives bone dry, ready to use. Works perfectly, and cheap as hell.

It's annoying as #### to deal with those kinda bricks like a modern 'alchemist' :)

sasker

Arachnoprince
I always add tiny bits of water until I can unravel and crumble the dry bits. Mixed with the more moist parts, it will be quite dry overall. The summer sun works wonders here as well. It gets over 110 degrees in summer in Bulgaria :D

Major017

Arachnopeon
I keep all of my baboons on bone dry loose coco-fiber with a full water dish. Maybe once a month I'll overfill the dish just a tad.

cold blood

Staff member
Most "baboons" thrives in a dry setup
I use bony dry coco fiber for all of my Harpactirinae as well
keep all of my baboons on bone dry loose coco-fiber
Not sure if these above quotes were actually made with the OP in mind....He has a Hystocrates....keep it on bone dry anything and it won't last a month.

OP, any t can be kept on any of the acceptable substrates.

Ones that dry faster merely mean you add water more often. Its just a matter of keeping the sub, especially the deeper parts of the sub, consistently damp.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
I use a mixture of coco fibre and topsoil ... roughly 2/3rds coco 1/3 Rd topsoil.
I just like the way it holds it shape when they burrow. Some of the tunnels look amazing.