Ideal Imperitor enclosure?

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
What is the ideal enclosure for a Emperor Scorpion?
I want mine to be able to burrow but I'd like to be able to see them too... at least often enough to know he is okay. I know he likes to burrow but I want him to feel comfortable enough to come out like he use to when I first got him. My though is that maybe if I make the enclosure a little better during the next future rehouse I can make my scorpion feel a little more safe out of the burrow...
Pics are welcomed.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I want mine to be able to burrow but I'd like to be able to see them too... at least often enough to know he is okay. I know he likes to burrow but I want him to feel comfortable enough to come out like he use to when I first got him. My though is that maybe if I make the enclosure a little better during the next future rehouse I can make my scorpion feel a little more safe out of the burrow...
Pics are welcomed.
The deeper the substrate the deeper they will burrow as they feel more secure, and the less you will see of it.This goes for most scorpions unless it is a species that is happy under scrapes/ stones just below the surface - they only tend to emerge at night when its cooler though. African tri-coloured burrowing scorpions and flat rock scorpions ( common names ) usually emerge from their burrows once or twice a year if burrows and crevices are deep enough and they are well fed.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Pics are welcomed.
As Dry Desert alluded to, the happiest scorpions will have deep burrows and rarely come out from the safety of their lair. Most of mine feel secure enough that I see them near the entrance to their burrows. Most of my Hadrurus are out fairly often during the spring/summer/early fall months at night though. They tend to be more active than a lot of other species.

One method you can try would be to have a glass divider down the center, which would cause it to burrow closer to the glass on the side. But you have to be careful doing that, if the burrow is not dark enough than it is useless to the Scorpion as a safe retreat.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Red light works for viewing as soon as it gets dark, taken from https://www.buglife.org.uk/sites/default/files/A Review of the Impact of Artificial Light on Invertebrates docx_0.pdf :
UV, green and blue light
which have short wavelengths and high
frequencies are best discriminated by
insects, they are often much more sensitive
to these wavelengths than humans are;
while insects are generally insensitive to the
red end of the spectrum.

I have a headlight with an led red light option. I go in the bug room sometimes with the red headlamp and they don't react at all, the roaches, the crickets, scorpions, they are all out and obviously don't notice the red light spectrum enough to make them react. Ideally, this is what you would want at around 9pm shining down on the inverts to see what's going on.

btw this is old news, it just needs to be re-exposed now and then.

when I say "old news", I remember going to zoos as a kid in the 70s and walking in reptile and insect buildings where red lights were used.

Last edited:

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
I plan on having many different pets. Are they all okay with red or would it be better to use dim white lights?