1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal food for a cricket colony?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by TheShrubbery, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Advertisement
    I've had a cricket colony for little over a year now, and I'm wondering what the best food material is.

Right now I have a dry powder mix which is made from: Dried Mealworms, Fish flakes and some Hamster food. Is this food ideal? (I've seen a lot of other people on here use mixes like this for their invert colonies)
    The reason why I don't use lettuce, (or hardly any of it) is that it quickly rots and starts killing my crickets. Anyone else recommend a cheap mix I can do? (I use that water gel stuff as their source of hydration)

2. Ghost56

Ghost56 Arachnoknight Active Member

Pretty much about anything they'll eat. I fed mine dog food, oatmeal, or chick starter when I was breeding some. Chick starter would be my recommendation, it's super cheap. Just DON'T let it get wet, you'll have an insane grain mite outbreak. And of course the occasional gut load like vegetables and fruits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoengineer Arachnosupporter

I can second this. I've never kept a colony of crickets, but my roaches get nothing but a mix of chick feed and pig feed. They're both around $15 for a 50lb bag, and they're both very high in protein and fat. Make sure that the chick feed is unmedicated, and also that it's not just normal chicken feed.

But yeah, beyond the mites, this stuff molds like no other. In fact, I sprinkle a small amount into my isopod culture just so I get an outbreak of mold for them to eat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Aquarimax

Aquarimax Arachnobaron Active Member

Utah
    Mine also get non-medicated chick crumble as a staple, with Fruit and veggies to supplement. I never leave fresh foods in quantities they can't eat fast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I'm in the UK guys, remember that plz :p:D

6. Ghost56

Ghost56 Arachnoknight Active Member

You should still be able to get chick starter lol. Everyone raises chickens all over the world. Worst case scenario, I'm sure you could order it online.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. darkness975

darkness975 Dream Reaper Arachnosupporter

Dry fish flakes. Simple, easy to find, reasonably cheap (here anyway), and dry which avoids the mold issue.