Ideal A. metallica enclosure? (My first arboreal)

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
F6E10B9E-8AD5-4900-B927-7C5E660CC535.jpeg How does this set-up look? (Don’t worry, i’m going to replace the screen on top with something safer!)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks ok. I dont know how the wood are arranged? It is important tgat the spider has a very dark hidingplace!

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
View attachment 308271 How does this set-up look? (Don’t worry, i’m going to replace the screen on top with something safer!)
Not what I would use. Very little ventilation from what I see, which is vital for Avics. There's also not much foliage in the top portion of the enclosure, where true arboreals like Avicularia make their webs.

In the very least I would ditch the plant you have in there and replace it with some more leafy plants, hot glue it to the top half of the wooden fixture you've got in there. I know some people have successfully kept Avics in enclosures like that, but you'll do well to make sure that you keep the substrate dry and don't let the enclosure get stuffy or humid.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-care.291340/

I'd give this thread a read just to be sure you cover your bases.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I'd probably ditch the wood you have and replace it with some kind of bark/wood tube. Cork and driftwood make good "logs" for them to hide in. It's fine for now, but it's just nice to get a tarantula a hide that it can actually hide inside of versus hiding behind it.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Not what I would use. Very little ventilation from what I see, which is vital for Avics. There's also not much foliage in the top portion of the enclosure, where true arboreals like Avicularia make their webs.

In the very least I would ditch the plant you have in there and replace it with some more leafy plants, hot glue it to the top half of the wooden fixture you've got in there. I know some people have successfully kept Avics in enclosures like that, but you'll do well to make sure that you keep the substrate dry and don't let the enclosure get stuffy or humid.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-care.291340/

I'd give this thread a read just to be sure you cover your bases.
Just got back from the craft store with glue and fake plant. Gonna attach it the top of the wood like you suggested!

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I'd probably ditch the wood you have and replace it with some kind of bark/wood tube. Cork and driftwood make good "logs" for them to hide in. It's fine for now, but it's just nice to get a tarantula a hide that it can actually hide inside of versus hiding behind it.
I spent 40$ for that wood at an exotics store half an hour away from me :( so I’m gonna try to see if she’ll make a hammock in the plant before I return it. Of course, her needs are my main priority so i’ll switch it out if I absolutely have to.

cold blood

Staff member
I like that wood, it will be better when you add elevated plants....keep the ground clear of clutter.

Otherwise it should be fine.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It has holes in the front just above the substrate too. I noticed when I was putting the plant in.
That's what I was getting at, they have front and top ventilation which is fine for Avicularinae, as the warm air escapes through the top it pulls fresh air through the lower front vents which helps to prevent stagnant conditions.

More ventilation doesn't hurt but people tend to go a bit overboard with it.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
That's what I was getting at, they have front and top ventilation which is fine for Avicularinae, as the warm air escapes through the top it pulls fresh air through the lower front vents which helps to prevent stagnant conditions.

More ventilation doesn't hurt but people tend to go a bit overboard with it.
That enclosure really is crap though. It’s used and I literally had to dust cobwebs off of it (and sterilize it properly lol) but it works for now.

I’m afraid the T might do nothing but cling to the back of wood...I haven’t given her much time to do anything else but....think she’s okay?

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I’m afraid the T might do nothing but cling to the back of wood...I haven’t given her much time to do anything else but....think she’s okay?
Tarantulas are pretty sedentary critters, so that's not uncommon for them to sit and do nothing for extended periods of time. They're more active at night/in the dark as it is, so when your T is doing stuff you're not very likely to see it.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I think it looks pretty good in general. Personally i would add a bit of leafy clutter near the top of that piece of wood but thats about it.

junewolf

Arachnopeon
I think it looks pretty good! That wood is dope. Do you have a pic of the updated enclosure? You could also mount a water dish up the wall, mine is pretty lazy and seems to benefit from multiple water sources. I'm planning on using an Exo Terra 12x12x18 for my C. versicolor, after modifying the screen lid, of course. Did you cover up the back walls with black paper?

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I think it looks pretty good! That wood is dope. Do you have a pic of the updated enclosure? You could also mount a water dish up the wall, mine is pretty lazy and seems to benefit from multiple water sources. I'm planning on using an Exo Terra 12x12x18 for my C. versicolor, after modifying the screen lid, of course. Did you cover up the back walls with black paper?
WOW this is one of my FIRST POSTS. I’ve come so far! *tears*

The spider is in a totally different enclosure now but has the same “tree” setup. I got rid of that old nasty exo-terra a long time ago. I also had the a. metallica in a storage container for a while.

This is my current. Still have to replace the screen in this one. (The rehouse was recent and I haven’t made it to Home Depot ;))

Attachments

junewolf

Arachnopeon
WOW this is one of my FIRST POSTS. I’ve come so far! *tears*

The spider is in a totally different enclosure now but has the same “tree” setup. I got rid of that old nasty exo-terra a long time ago. I also had the a. metallica in a storage container for a while.

This is my current. Still have to replace the screen in this one. (The rehouse was recent and I haven’t made it to Home Depot ;))
Ahh! Dude I'm brand new here, I didn't realize until afterwards that I was resurrecting an old forum. xD Whooops. So you got a new exo terra, right? Is that the 8x8x12? It looks really good!

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Ahh! Dude I'm brand new here, I didn't realize until afterwards that I was resurrecting an old forum. xD Whooops. So you got a new exo terra, right? Is that the 8x8x12? It looks really good!
It’s alright! I didn’t even look at the measurements. It was a greatly appreciated gift from my boyfriend.

Dang, a. metallica was like my fifth T when I posted this and now I’m at fifteen and quite a bit more knowledgeable....THANKS TO AB!

Stay here and be receptive if you’re a beginner. This place has been invaluable to me.