ID this spider!!

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It doesnt look like a Tegenaria, more like a wolf spider (Lycosidae).

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
can't really see the eyes on the pics above, but it looks like all 8 are in two rows right in the front of the spider.
in Lycosidae the posterior lateral eyes are more on the sides in a bow-like arrangement with the posterior median eyes!
Sorry, can't describe it any better!

Greetings
Bernhard

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@MeteoRa: in Agelenidae the last pair of spinnerets is very long, compaired to the other pairs, is this the case?

MeteoRa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Spaceman_Spiff said:
@MeteoRa: in Agelenidae the last pair of spinnerets is very long, compaired to the other pairs, is this the case?
nope... i don't think so... does anyone need a better picture...
it's really fast... so i took this picture when it was first caught...

MeteoRa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Spaceman_Spiff said:
a pic shot directly from above would be neat!

greetings
Bernhard
ok... wait a sec... the picture is gonna be a bit blur...
cos my digicam's macro not really that efficient...
now wheres the camera... :?

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that's very blurry! :(

is there something special about its eyes, like bigger ones or where they are located?

sorry, I'm off, will be back online later!
Greetings
Bernhard

Last edited:

MeteoRa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
not really sure how many eyes it got... but 2 large ones between... :cool:
here's another picture... but it's blur... damn camera...

Attachments

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OK I think Danread was right, with those large eyes it should be some Lycosidae!

But with only blurry pics the species would be only wild guessing, at least with my minor knowledge!

Sorry to be no more help
Bernhard

orcrist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know about the eyes, but it looks a LOT like one a brazilian wandering spider. It could have come in on some bannanas, which is why they're called bannana spiders, and that would explain why it was in your kitchen. It's a possibility, so be very careful, they can be deadly. It doesn't really look like a wolfie to me, but that's just gut feeling...

deathrattle

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah i had one of those on my arm one time at work. i was moving some produce around in the back room and i wasn't really paying attention and i suddenly had this feeling like there was a mouse on my arm and i totally screamed and waved my arm and this giant spider flew onto the stone floor. it was really fast. so i got a big jar and put it over him.
i assume it came out of the bananas. it looked similar to the one pictured, only it seemed more greyish. i should've kept it or something. but that thing was horrifying. i think one of my co-workers ended up killing it.
biggest spider i've ever seen that is not a pet for sure.
sorry to bring this topic back up. it's late and i just got excited.

Last edited:

Adnan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
orcrist said:
I don't know about the eyes, but it looks a LOT like one a brazilian wandering spider. It could have come in on some bannanas, which is why they're called bannana spiders, and that would explain why it was in your kitchen. It's a possibility, so be very careful, they can be deadly. It doesn't really look like a wolfie to me, but that's just gut feeling...
This is not an brazilian wandering spider for sure.

NRF

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not a lycosid or agelenid.
Habitus and the light clypeus indicate Heteropoda.
We want to see better photos, please. :)