ID question

von_z

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have several T's, but this is my first post on the truespider forum, and I don't know a whole lot about them. I don't have a photo yet, but I'm hoping to get some help with an I.D.

I live in New Hampshire, U.S.A, and I caught an unusually large jumping spider for this area. It is probably close to .5 inch legspan, and it's black with a thick, all black first pair of legs, while the others have faint grey banding. The abdomen is black and has three orange/yellow spots on top, arranged in a sort of triangle pattern. Also, the chelicera are extremely vivid metallic green under natural light.

I used a small jar to set up a fairly dry, semi-arboreal habitat, and since yesterday it has done a little bit of webbing and has eaten two 1/8 inch crickets. Any replies, I.D. guesses, or input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!! :)

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The green chelicerae and size indicate genus Phidippus. Not sure on species.

von_z

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks, does anybody have pics or links I can use to compare???

von_z

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I actually did some image searches, and believe I have narrowed it down to phidippus audax. Does that sound right? Anybody have experience keeping these? What is the best way to sex them?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nobody??????:(
Dude, this forum doesn't get the kind of traffic that the T question forum does so you may have to wait. What you have probably is a P audax, they're very widely distributed. Without posting a picture though nobody can say with any certainty at all.

As with tarantulas, males will have palpal emboli (boxing gloves).

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
ditto what etown said, prob P. audax.

care is very simple, just feed it and give it water :D

and enjoy, they are very fun.

von_z

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks guys. It has been eating, and I love how active and alert it is. Cool little spider:).