ID please?

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I cought this under a rock at Lake Mead in southern Nevada outside Las Vegas. Can anyone identify it from these pics?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Can you post a pic of the metasoma from the side?

Cheers,
Dave

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the 2nd pic is holding a posture identical to my unknown vaejovid, but it is a lot brighter than this one that you have. i do not believe mine to be mature yet.
you can compare by looking at my "New Scorp Pics! ATS 2004!" thread.
hope it helps a little.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Except for it's coloration, it looks exactly like my V.Spini. It's defiantley a Vejovid of some sort. I'm not sure exactly what. Goodluck finding out!

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
skinheaddave said:
Can you post a pic of the metasoma from the side?

Cheers,
Dave

Here's the best it would let me get before the batteries died in the camera...

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
My best guess would be Vaejovis waeringi, but don't quote me on that. Chad might be able to give you some better direction.

Cheers,
Dave

Stagger-Lee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
skinheaddave said:
My best guess would be Vaejovis waeringi, but don't quote me on that. Chad might be able to give you some better direction.

Cheers,
Dave
first instinct screamed confusus which also leads me to believe its waeringi
heres what i have listed for Navada
Vaejovis confusus
Vaejovis hirsuticauda
Vaejovis waeringi

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Mike-troll- said:
heres confusus for compairason, dont think its it eh
Extremely similar, but there are enough slight differences to make me think it's not the same species. The chelae look a little larger on your confusus than on this one for one thing. I appriciate all the help on IDing this dude so I can learn a little about exactly what I have here. Assuming it is waeringi, can you tell me anything about this species? Mainly I want to know about its toxicity level?

Thanks

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
You got me thinking, Mike, so I looked at my V.confusus and it may actually fit. The differences noted may be a combonation of locality and possibly sexual dimorphism. According to Sissom (1991), both species have high degrees of variation and distinguishing them can be tricky. The paper is:

Sissom, DW. (1991) The genus Vaejovis in Sonora, Mexico (Scorpiones, Vaejovidae). Insecta Mundi 5:215-226.
So it may be hard to differentiate them. In answer to your question, Telson, either way the venom is going to be quite innocuous.

Cheers,
Dave

Stagger-Lee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
skinheaddave said:
You got me thinking, Mike, so I looked at my V.confusus and it may actually fit. The differences noted may be a combonation of locality and possibly sexual dimorphism. According to Sissom (1991), both species have high degrees of variation and distinguishing them can be tricky.
cool ive never collected navada or utah so dont have anythign to go of from up there.

skinheaddave said:
So it may be hard to differentiate them. In answer to your question, Telson, either way the venom is going to be quite innocuous.
ya nothin worth writing home about, think i posted a confusus sting report reciently.

Stagger-Lee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pandinus said:
big suprise, mike! :D
oh i got a good one today {D was transferign adult male Hadrurus switchign a rather pissy one from a cup and puttign anopther one in his place and when i picked him up by the tail he went spastic so i plopped him on my hand and he started runnign off so i put him up against my shirt and BAM he nails me right in the stomach man that hurt no numbness at all with this oen ive still got a good dime sized welt that hurts some 3 hrs later

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Would you say the total number of times that you have been stung is more/less than 1,000?.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mike-troll- said:
oh i got a good one today {D was transferign adult male Hadrurus switchign a rather pissy one from a cup and puttign anopther one in his place and when i picked him up by the tail he went spastic so i plopped him on my hand and he started runnign off so i put him up against my shirt and BAM he nails me right in the stomach man that hurt no numbness at all with this oen ive still got a good dime sized welt that hurts some 3 hrs later
right...

do i even need to say anything at this point? :D

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for the info guys, much appriciated. At least now I can relax knowing that I haven't brought home anything dangerous in case of an escape. :)

Stagger-Lee

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Telson said:
Thanks for the info guys, much appriciated. At least now I can relax knowing that I haven't brought home anything dangerous in case of an escape. :)
oh no unless its in the buthidae family there should be nuthin to worry about