Old Timer
my freind brought me this he thought it was a tarantula
but my guess is some sort of spider it is only about 1/2 -1inch
here is a photo thanks cheyenne

Last edited:

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From that pic it looks like a black trap door spider. They're (I believe) from Africa, and, though not dangerous, have a very painful venom--so watch out!

This is just a guess, by the way, and I'm no expert on true spiders. Can it climb glass?

Chris

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
he found it in his garage i live in arkansas so
im not sure about african trap door spider
but there are a few trap door spider around here but
i have never actually got one out of there hole to see them
not sure if it can climb on glass? wel l find out
thanks cheyenne

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like a Ummidia sp. trap door - pretty common in TX, dunno how far they range though.

Rav

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think Ravnos nailed it. We have Ummidia here in Virginia as well. The curiously curved femurs are typical.

Wade

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yep, Ravnos and Wade got it. The species we have out here in San Diego is Bothriocyrtum californicum, the California Trapdoor Spider. They look very similar to the one you have pictured. You can spot their trapdoors fairly easy once you develop an eye for it. Below is a picture of a typical California Trapdoor Spider entrance during the day. Often times you will see old burrow trapdoor lids spread around the entrance which gives away their position. The underside of the trapdoor lids are bright white webbing so they are easy to spot. Once you spot an old trapdoor lying around it is simple to search around and find the main burrow.

Attachments

Last edited:

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The below picture is of a better concealed burrow. This burrow, is within the pink circle. The old cast off trapdoor lids (in green circles) gave this burrow away.

Attachments