ID of a Mexican Forest Species

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I am not able to get another picture of this beauty until next thursday likely when he/she will be sent. It was found in a forest around Oaxaca, Mexico. What exact forest I am not certain, but that's Central Mexico for anyone who wants a quick search. The ID is completely unknown. The seller thinks it may be a dwarf species?

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Maybe Diplocentrus zacatecanus? I am still learning to ID by sight so it's entirely possible I am wrong. Just the first that I found even semi-close to Oaxaca that resembles the one in the photo. Sorry I can't be more helpful

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I thought it was in the Diplocentridae family *claps happily* I just managed to find that family and popped back to find your ID guess and I think you may be right. She/he I am leaning towards a female just cause I like thinking she's chunky. But may be wrong she hasn't been sexed either so just ignore the pronouns XD I haven't recieved her yet. She was in a random import one of my friends has and they don't want her because she's not in their preferred species range so I am paying for her <3. I found her absolutely adorable. I am going to look up any possible knowledge on just general Diplocentridae in general. Omg I am so excited that we have kind of maybe narrowed it down XD

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
There is much known about them at all is there? Does anyone know their venom toxicity levels? For some reason I cannot find any info that isn't in spanish and it won't translate. It's weird.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Definitely a Diplocentrus sp. Looks like it is still a juvenile from the coloration. Usually Diplocentrus will be a yellowish, or tan-ish, color as juveniles. Once they get to subadult/adult they will gain more coloration. Diplocentrus sp are extremely slow growing. It can take years for them to fully mature. Usually they burrow or dig scrapes under stones and can stay there for many years. A lot of people consider them boring as they are most happy in a burrow. So if you can give it 4-6 inches of substrate and let it do its thing, it will be happy. Don't be surprised if it goes weeks without coming out. Make sure there is a decent amount of humidity as well.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Venom potency is not a concern with Diplocentrus. It is a great find.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I am so happy, even if she/he is a juvie and is a pet hole most of it's life, I don't complain about that. You should see the burrow my G. Pulchra has made. I am so proud of her. She worked so hard on it and it's gorgeous.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
If I can ever get a male or female (for whatever ever gender she ACTUALLY turns out to be) I will try breeding. But honestly I won't hold my breath. From what I understand they aren't likely to pop up anytime soon. If anyone knows of anyone else with one who is a certain gender and I have the opposite gender maybe we can do a... what is... loan? Just so we can have a captive colony in the US? I wouldn't mind loaning out mine. Someone is welcome to message if they want to keep it quiet for a reason. But since this girl/boy is likely a sub-adult or juvie it likely won't happen for what? a couple years?

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Does anyone know how much Dictators, (true ones) usually sell for? I want to make sure I am not going to be... over paying when I start looking for them? There is so much as paying for what you get as a single specimen and then there is highway robbery because I am a newer scorp keeper XD

Terrena Laxamentum

Arachnoknight
I've seen slings go for like $80. I haven't seen much in terms of adults, mostly because all those that came in are Imperator.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Does anyone know the most reputable place to buy true dictators from?

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
So XD, I got my little baby today, and had actually planned to do some sexing if I could. But that didn't happen. She is so much more tiny than I thought. The picture makes her look massive. She's about 1/2 an inch from what I can tell. Smaller than my pinky in other words, and she just generally isn't phased by anything. I am worried since I thought she was bigger, (should have asked for actual measured size) that the enclosure I put her in is too big. But it's too late right now to look for her. She was very happy and after waiting for her to move in, 10 minutes in there I go to check and I can't find her anywhere, all I notice is this perfect little tunnel carefully carved out of the Eco earth sub. It's nice and moist and I think she is very appreciative of her new home. It has a tiny and shallow water dish, with plastic plants to provide plenty of cover and a hide in the form of a clay pot. But I expect her hides will be mostly self made XD My mother was skeptical of having a scorpion in the house but absolutely fell in love with her. I am very happy with this little adorable gem in my collection.