ID? New Beauty—Female?

C Porrata Doria

Arachnopeon
Hey I caught this gorgeous creature literally half an hour ago, made a home under our porch light (brilliant) a couple months ago, and the web had started to get a little messy and unkempt with the masses of insects, dirt, and the like gathering in it. My mother decided that it looked a little ugly (it really did) and told my dad to get rid of the web (spider included). I jumped in at the chance and ‘helped him’ get rid of it when he turned around I coaxed it out from its hide and then into a container (victory!). Please help me identify it/him/her, and don’t worry the creature is now safe, sound, and settling down in a nice wide container with water and a lovely little hide.

BE9131A0-A946-4399-B751-090DD6B7D800.jpeg

5921EF6B-0F0D-4241-A4A3-C8BB478272D1.jpeg

BB86BB41-6C9F-481D-A51F-9BA9E6D4845B.jpeg

DE21C58F-DF52-45AF-83C6-150998C0C598.jpeg

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Agelenid. Need your location for a closer guess. Does look preggo, or had a lot of luck at her previous location.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Definitely in the family agelenidae. I would even identify it in the genus agelenopsis. As @The Snark mentioned, you have a gravid female on your hands. Offer her anchor points for webbing.

Looks like a grass spider bud. Put a hollow cork log in her terrarium and she'll make you a nice web sheet/dinner tray for you to feed her! She looks a little small (immature) to be gravid, but that could just be the way her legs are hunched up. They'll eat anything except beetles.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I found a lot of pics of that spider from Penn but no species ID for it, only genus, of course def agelenidae. You are in Pennsylvania, correct?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
BUT, don't underestimate porch lights. Too many times I've seen spiders that can barely waddle ignoring a tasty looking moth or bug in a web which was against a porch light. :grumpy:

C Porrata Doria

Arachnopeon
I found a lot of pics of that spider from Penn but no species ID for it, only genus, of course def agelenidae. You are in Pennsylvania, correct?
Yes I am, zip 19004

Agelenid. Need your location for a closer guess. Does look preggo, or had a lot of luck at her previous location.
Zip is 19004

Definitely in the family agelenidae. I would even identify it in the genus agelenopsis. As @The Snark mentioned, you have a gravid female on your hands. Offer her anchor points for webbing.
I think you’re right I looked it up and compared the pics of her with those on ye mighty google and I think she’s agelenopsis potteri.

Last edited by a moderator: