1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ID my pet mantis pls?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by TheShrubbery, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Advertisement
    I've had this girl since about January, I believe she is on her 4th molt. (If I am wrong, please do inform me) However, I am conflicted as to what species she actually is. In the original packaging I got her in, it states her species as Hierodula sp(inaccurate I know, so I assume they meant Hierodula Grandis) or the Giant Asian Mantis. Where as to me, she looks more like a Rhombodera Megaera or a Giant Shield Mantis. She shows no
    signs of being a Hierodula but looks more akin to being the Rhombodera. I will provide pictures.

Attached Files:

• Love Love x 1
  2. basin79

basin79 Arachnoprince Active Member

She's an adult. She won't moult again. She's a Hierodula sp. Not sure which.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Legit? This a small ass mantis compared to some I have seen on YouTube.

4. basin79

Yes. Once they get their wings they're adult.

5. Are there any other species of Mantis that are considerably large compared to mine?

6. basin79

No. Hierodula sp are some of the largest mantids available. There are longer mantids and maybe the Rhombodera basalis might get a little larger but that's it. I had a large adult female Hierodula majuscula and she was huge and impressive. Looking at your lass on your foot she looks a big girl too.

7. Josh999

Josh999 Arachnopeon

Yes, she's definitely and adult and Hierodula. I think a lot of people tend overestimate the size of mantises unless familiar with them in person.