Id millipede?

maxpede

Arachnopeon
Looks like the julida order. Found him while repotting a wandering jew. IMG_0053.jpg

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
I had a species that look identical (I live in GA so likely could be the same) that someone ID’d as Ophyiulus pilosus on iNaturalist. Not having them anymore I can’t really compare one to the photo, but perhaps @ErinM31 had better luck with the ones I traded to her?

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I had a species that look identical (I live in GA so likely could be the same) that someone ID’d as Ophyiulus pilosus on iNaturalist. Not having them anymore I can’t really compare one to the photo, but perhaps @ErinM31 had better luck with the ones I traded to her?
Alas, the Julida did not live long and there are so few resources for identifying them. :( The Polydesmida are doing quite well, however, and have produced pedelings! :happy:

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
Alas, the Julida did not live long and there are so few resources for identifying them. :( The Polydesmida are doing quite well, however, and have produced pedelings! :happy:
Wow, you got pedelings out of them! I tried but they just kept dying, I wound up selling the last ones and haven’t really collected any more. I also no longer keep the Julida species due to the fact that they never lived long and the 3 times I shipped them at LEAST 1 died every time and all 3 were express!

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Wow, you got pedelings out of them! I tried but they just kept dying, I wound up selling the last ones and haven’t really collected any more. I also no longer keep the Julida species due to the fact that they never lived long and the 3 times I shipped them at LEAST 1 died every time and all 3 were express!
Perhaps it is temperature? I have been keeping the Polydesmida millipedes in a wine cooler at 18C/68F in standard millipede compost substrate well supplemented with the wood, leaves and substrate that you sent me from their habitat. :)

I don’t think there was anything you could have done differently with the Julida — from all that you told me, they seem to have been at the end of their life cycle. Perhaps you might find younger ones in the fall or early in the spring? The goal would be to find them before they reproduce and hope they do so in captivity. That may be easier said than done, of course...