id help

el_barto

Arachnopeon

el_barto

Arachnopeon
I looked at Eric's page for African scorpions and they do look very much like as either Opisthacanthus or Cheloctonus (or both). If they are of different species I should probably host them separately, although they seem everything but agressive (they are really slow, I don't know how they are supposed to catch food !).

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi El Barto
look up on AB the ways to ID between Cheloctonus and Opistacanthus
its something to do with now many rows of granules there are on the blade of the claw, or something like that.

the First one, as Predator said, seems to be an Opistophthalmus sp
were they both caught in the same country?

el_barto

Arachnopeon
Thanks a lot, I checked up their claws and I saw two rows of granules on the lower finger, so I guess they could be Opisthacanthus. The granules are actually a lot clearer on the first one than on the second, and this first scorpion is also a lot more agressive (towards my fingers !) than the second one, which may (or not !) indicate that they are of different species (Opistophthalmus are usually agressive, but they don't look like the Opistophthalmus species I know, especially the first one which is actually a shade of brown with strong red and pink reflects, red claws and legs). However, they are in the same enclosure now for a week and I have not seen any kind of agressiveness between them. My camera is not too good and I have trouble making clear macro pics, but they are indeed almost similar in shape, though the second one is a little slimmer and longer. They seem to be good climber, I have put some half coconuts as lairs and they always climb to the top and hang upside down. I host them on peat with a large cup of water, though the enclosure is not as humid as my Pandinus'.

I have no information as to where they come from, the pet shop I bought them assures me that they are captive-bred, though I am not sure of that since they do not seem to be common in the trade. They were sold to me as "climbing scorpions from East Africa" which is probably not true as I believe both Opisthacanthus and Cheloctonus come mostly from South Africa.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi
Opistacanthus ar sometimes called Climbing scorpions

Cheloctonus on the other hand are known to burrow very deeply

remember that there are LOTS of species
it could well even be a Pandinus species, seeing you get some Pandinus in non-humid places like Ethiopia i believe

you have to ask the experts.. but i seem to remember lots of problems with getting Opistopthalmus to give birth

also you might want to look up Pandinus colei, they were available at Gherp a while back, maybe some people succesefully bred them??

and this species if from Ethiopia i believe, which is in the east of Africa.

where are you from?

Michael

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,
The first scorpion looks like Opistophthalmus carinatus to me. and the second scorpion is probably Opisthacanthus rugiceps(Tanzania) ;)

regards
Michael

el_barto

Arachnopeon
I don't really take into account what the pet shop said to me as they have been frequently wrong in the past. i checked up all the suggested species and this one does look a lot like Opisthacanthus rugiceps, especially since the first thing it did when I put a piece of bark in the inclosure was to climb on top of it and stay there :

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/4809/hpim04016kb.jpg

Concerning the other one (the first in my first post), I checked Opistophthalmus carinatus but the color seem really wrong. It does look like a Pandinus either. It looks a lot like Cheloctonus jonesii from Eric's page (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/eycb/scorpions/Gafrique.htm) but it does not seem interested at all in digging. I think I am going to separate them anyway as the non-climber seems pretty agressive compared to the other, and it may attack even if they are of the same specie.

Michael

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,

I'm quit sure that it is O. carinatus. Look for a picture on Eric's website.

el_barto

Arachnopeon
I didn't see those pics and you are right: they do look very similar. I'll put it in an enclosure with deep substrate and I'll see if it digs a burrow. Being an Opistophthalmus carinatus would certainly explain its agressiveness compared to the other !