ID help

CGKeith

Arachnopeon
Bought at a reptile show. Labeled as "red".. ? ...Ornatus? ...Americanus? ...??
(no location info)

Sadie11

Arachnosquire
It looks to be Orthoporus ornatus. Maybe the Sonoran morph of the species. Hopefully someone else will chime in since I'm pretty new, but it looks just like ones that I have. @mickiem

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I agree with @Sadie11. It looks like Orthoporus ornatus to me. Too skinny to be Narceus (americanus). They are found in Arizona.

That's the problem using common names. "Red" could loosely describe several species I am keeping. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the Boards, @CGKeith !

CGKeith

Arachnopeon
I'm in the middle of the Sonoran desert and this is our local Sonoran O. ornatus .... much longer, fatter and a narrow head and nothing close to the color.
I know of several super pod sites and they have a little bit of color variation chocolate brown to almost black....

Last edited:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I'm pretty sure it is just a color phase of Oo. I don't have any Gold right now, but I remember when I had them both, the Golds were longer and skinnier than the Chocolate (Sonoran). Hopefully someone else will weigh in who has more experience with both.

CGKeith

Arachnopeon
I think you are right. Just hoping someone has others of similar color to confirm, plus location info.

Sadie11

Arachnosquire
This is what mine look like. I have several that are lighter in color, but unfortunately they're under right now. I was told that mine were Sonoran, but I don't know where they were captured. Like I said though, I'm a newbie on here.

Attachments

Sadie11

Arachnosquire
I just noticed the bottle of Adams Flea & Tick Spray that you can see through the plastic tub. Before anyone gets upset, I assure you that it only has soapy water in it!! :wideyed:

CGKeith

Arachnopeon
This is what mine look like. I have several that are lighter in color, but unfortunately they're under right now. I was told that mine were Sonoran, but I don't know where they were captured. Like I said though, I'm a newbie on here.
Awesome! Thanks for posting the pic...looks great..and BIG!

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Agreed that it is a morph of O. ornatus, though I hardly know enough about this species to give a locality. It could also be O. texicolens, which appears very similar to ornatus but is slightly smaller. This species is often sold as ornatus.

CGKeith

Arachnopeon
Agreed that it is a morph of O. ornatus, though I hardly know enough about this species to give a locality. It could also be O. texicolens, which appears very similar to ornatus but is slightly smaller. This species is often sold as ornatus.
That would make sense. Thank you.

Sadie11

Arachnosquire
Which one is supposed to be the longest? I've read that one gets 4-5", but everyone seems to have a different opinion. Most of mine are well over 6" easy.