1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ID help: did I just find H. arizonensis?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by many many legs, Jul 4, 2019.

1. many many legs

many many legs Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    Found it outside its burrow last night in ensenada, mexico. I've been seeing tons of tiny bark scorpions around here, but this one is much bigger and chunkier than them, maybe 4 inches. It also kicks around the sand in its enclosure, unlike my bark scorpions. Is it a desert hairy scorpion? That'd make my day :)
    20190703_232846.jpg

2. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnobaron Active Member

It doesn't look like a Desert Hairy to me. Maybe an Anuroctonus sp., or Paruroctonus sp.? @NYAN, @ArachnoDrew, @RTTB, any ideas?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

3. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnobaron Active Member

UK
    If it's about 4 ins. and was found in Mexico it's probably Centruroides chiapanensis - toxic.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince

Definitely not a Centruroides.. Not Hadrurus.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. AzJohn

AzJohn Arachnoking Old Timer

Maybe vaejovis.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. many many legs

Mexico is pretty big tho. Those are found in central/south. I'm very far north-west in baja norte. There have been hairy scorpion sightings near here, but yeah idk. I went on a walk with a blacklight last night and saw maybe a dozen baja bark scorpions, all 1-2" long. Those are common and always run away to find cover. This guy was notably huge in comparison and was just outside its burrow. It dashed into its hole as I approached, something I've never seen a baja bark scorpion do. It was also waaaaayyy faster than a bark scorpion when I coaxed it out.

7. many many legs

8. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnobaron Active Member

I agree with @RTTB, definitely not a Centruroides. 4 inches is pretty big for Vaejovis sp. as well

Thanks,

Arthroverts

9. many many legs

After some searching, I think it may be vaejovis confusus. Though there are a lot of vaejovis species that look really similar, these occur in northern mexico and look very, very similar to mine. Still up for debate tho. Second guess would be Vaejovis hirsuticauda (now called Kochius hirsuticauda), but its claws and colors are a bit off from what I have, so probably not.

10. many many legs

I took a look just now, I think I may have been excited and added an inch originally. Does look closer to 3 inches. and actually much darker top of body than photo lets on.

11. neubii18

neubii18 Arachnosquire

Looks almost identical to the Paruroctonus species we have in So cal, although slightly a different color. I would bet Parurctonus.

12. Mordax8393

Mordax8393 Arachnosquire Active Member

USA
    Not (para)vaejovis confusus based on claw shape/size. Not K. histricauda based on telson structure. Certainly not Hadrurus or Centruroides.

Almost certainly Paruroctonus sp., send me detailed pictures of: claw dentition and dorsal and ventral views of the tail and I can get it to species for you

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
  14. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnobaron Active Member

UK
    @NYAN
    @RTTB
    As we now have a new size and a more accurate location will be able to ID better. Centruroides chiapanensis is the only one I know of that's 100 +mm ( 4ins. ) in Mexico.As it's only 3ins. now, maybe even less, whole different ball game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. brandontmyers

brandontmyers Arachnoangel Old Timer

Probably Paruroctonus silvestrii. It is known from Ensenada.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. many many legs

wow, once again, you nailed it! That looks just like what I have. Anything I should know if I plan on keeping it? Thank you so much.

17. many many legs

Just want to update the thread with a pic I took of the scorp next to a 1" US quarter. So yes, I was maybe a little over enthusiastic about its size. To be fair though, the only other scorps around here are C. exilicauda, so this thing feels like a monster to me! Scorpion measurements are made from head to end of tail right? If so I'd guess its about 2.25"? I appreciate all the feedback so far. Thanks everyone :shame:

IMG_20190705_173519_358.jpg

18. Mordax8393

Mordax8393 Arachnosquire Active Member

USA
    P silvestrii is possible but not certain, there are a few more almost identical species out there.

19. brandontmyers

brandontmyers Arachnoangel Old Timer

Very true. The only other species from the 'boreus' microgroup found in Baja is P. arnaudi which is only known from the Socorro Sand Dunes. The other species found in Baja Norte are going to be psammophiles and have a distinct yellow color. I believe that this would be the only one in the area with this coloration. This particular specimen could absolutely be something different, however based on location I do believe P. silvestrii is correct.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. many many legs

Yeah, it digs little "burrows" under the local rocks and wood I provided it, is very fast/skittish and was found in a rocky coastal scrubland. seems to fit the description. I agree that its coloration is really pretty based on what I've seen online. Are these communal at all? it's enclosure is def big enough for two.