ID Check

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Well, spring is here and Tamara and I have started to notice that we have some new arachnids in the house. There are lots of these guys around and when I woke up this morning Tamara had left me one in a glass on my desk. I did some reading in my Audubon guide (not very good as guides go) and have come to the conclusion based on eye patterns that it is a wolf spider. Could anyone confirm/deny (I am just starting to look into true spiders so haven't found my footing yet) and provide a more accurate diagnosis?

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dave how big are they? Looks like a wolf spider, maybe a gravid one at that.

Andy

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
The big ones we've been noticing are about 1" front leg to diagonal rear leg. The one on my desk (now in a jar) just tops 1".

Cheers,
Dave

WhiteRabbit

Arachnopeon
Hi to all
It is a spider of genus Zoridae,through the obsevetion on eyes, but o don't now the specis.
For more informatios "Spiders of Britain a northern Europe - Michael J.Roberts"
pg 47

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I did a bit of a web search and apparently it is not impossible for them to be here, as they have been seen in Canada. Do you know any definitive ways of differentiating them from Lycosids?

Cheers,
Dave

WhiteRabbit

Arachnopeon
Sorry it is a Lycosidae....
because the posterior eyes are arranged to form a trapeze with the smaller base as long as its height.
In Zoridae a similar trapeze is formed by the four median eyes (two from the anterior line and two from the posterior one).

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Sweet. Well, she has taken a cricket so I am happy about that. Now with any luck she'll lay an egg sac.

Cheers,
Dave

princess_lover

Arachnopeon
did you say you found this in your house? and there were more????
I mean i love my t... but i love her because shes big and i can see her.. and she can't crawl into my mouth without me noticing... but i might scream a run away like the wuss that i am if i found one of those on my floor...