I won!

Andrea B

Arachnopeon
Yall, I entered the Palp Friction raffle to win a T. seladonia sling...but I didn't win it. However, because the folks at PF are so cool, they did some more drawings and I won 2 P. metallica slings. Soooo...I only have experience with new world Ts. These will be my first old worlds, and they are pokies. Thankfully, they wont ship till they've molted again, so I have some time to read up and prepare. Im excited!!!!!!

ArachnoHazard

Arachnopeon
Congrats on the new slings! Any idea what the eta is for your receiving them?

I’m going to have to enter raffles...

Andrea B

Arachnopeon
Congrats on the new slings! Any idea what the eta is for your receiving them?

I’m going to have to enter raffles...
Im not sure when they will be shipped. Waiting for them to molt again and I dont know when they last molted. But I'm guessing they are very young slings, so probably won't be too long.

Andrea B

Arachnopeon
What a way to gain experience with an OW, hopping right into the fire. Good luck.
Yeah. I kinda have the same thoughts. I'll definitely be here a lot more. Any tips are appreciated. Im a "hands off" keeper, so no problems there. Lol. I have new world arboreals, which are super fast when they want to be, but they are much more likely to shoot poop or rub hairs on you than throw a threat pose (usually). I'm going to approach the P. metallicas similarly, but with even more care and caution, as I realize they have more potential to really hurt me or someone else.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Congratulations!!! ...I ALSO JUST WON!!! ...a Phoneutria nigriventer :anxious: I’m a bit nervous to accept it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah. I kinda have the same thoughts. I'll definitely be here a lot more. Any tips are appreciated. Im a "hands off" keeper, so no problems there. Lol. I have new world arboreals, which are super fast when they want to be, but they are much more likely to shoot poop or rub hairs on you than throw a threat pose (usually). I'm going to approach the P. metallicas similarly, but with even more care and caution, as I realize they have more potential to really hurt me or someone else.
Avics and Poki- nothing in common.

Pokis will outgrow most average owners skill set.

Do yourself a favor and read extensively here on how Pokis are kept. Give them more space than you would typically give an arboreal. The safer they feel, the safer you will be.

Might save you a trip to the hospital.

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
I have 2 P. metallicas and they have never thrown me a threat posture. 1 is an adult and the ither is a juvenile. They tend to run circles instead of up and down, and are very skiddish. Just crack the lid when feeding and watering.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Did you really??? If so thats a HELL of a raffle prize...
It was a “guess how many babies are in the sac” contest and get a sling. I was second closest and there were more than he anticipated, so he is giving a sling to everyone.

Andrea B

Arachnopeon
Avics and Poki- nothing in common.

Pokis will outgrow most average owners skill set.

Do yourself a favor and read extensively here on how Pokis are kept. Give them more space than you would typically give an arboreal. The safer they feel, the safer you will be.

Might save you a trip to the hospital.
I realize they are nothing alike, aside from being speedy and good climbers. Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely aware and respectful of their ability to cause harm. I have already started researching. If they get to be too much for me, I will definitely rehome to a more advanced keeper. But, I want to at least try to keep them. I haven't even recieved them yet, so I'm in the preparation stage now.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I made an order to get some entries didn't win that raffle either, but they gave me a Pamphobeteus sp. machala as a freebie so like I scored there. Its especially funny because my friend got a B. albospilosum with his order that was 3x as expensive as mine.

Bread

Arachnopeon
My p.met just teleports back into her hole whenever i open the enclosure unlike my other pokies that go into attack mode. Congrats btw :)
Hope for a male and a female :p

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I realize they are nothing alike, aside from being speedy and good climbers. Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely aware and respectful of their ability to cause harm. I have already started researching. If they get to be too much for me, I will definitely rehome to a more advanced keeper. But, I want to at least try to keep them. I haven't even recieved them yet, so I'm in the preparation stage now.
First, congratulations on your win! I'm sure it is very exciting in several different ways, new vistas in keeping, researching, etc..

Second, by way of encouragement, I am very impressed at your thoughtful remarks and responses above. They seem to come from both a joy for the hobby, and thoughtful consideration of your new specimens. I am particularly inspired by your considerate response to, what at least I perceive to be, histrionic comments regarding pokies. You obviously understand and respect your new undertaking, and it is clear that you are approaching the matter responsibly and carefully. You should do well.

Remember to post pictures!