I was tagged by my p Metallica

crawley07

Arachnopeon
I was in my p Metallica enclosure for regular maintenance. Had my gloves on the ones that are worn in hospitals thin latex gloves. It doesn't seem bad it is red on my right hand index finger no bleeding it is bit swollen. Shall I take benedrl? To be on safe side? I kept my hand in hot water for at least 20 mins. This happened at 7:36 pm central time and I felt a bit nauseous. It is now 10 o clock.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I would take some just in case. Doesn't sound that bad, perhaps it didn't pump too much venom into the wound? Good luck man.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Make a bite report. Are you aware of the venom they have? Ditch the gloves, they are useless. How new are you to keeping tarantulas?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
What's the size of the T? Given your symptoms, it wasn't a fully wet bite. Consider yourself lucky, I know I would. As has been said, lose the gloves, they're useless.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Okay, I looked at your species kept. Unless that hasn't been updated in a LOOONG while, I would post pictures of the spider and the enclosure. Just this situation in general worries me more than the usual "I got tagged by a hot OW tarantula" Thread.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Okay, I looked at your species kept. Unless that hasn't been updated in a LOOONG while, I would post pictures of the spider and the enclosure. Just this situation in general worries me more than the usual "I got tagged by a hot OW tarantula" Thread.
I think OP is experienced. Check his old reviews in his signature.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I don't really have a problem with the gloves, as long as people don't use them in any sort of assumption of added safety. If I'm working in the enclosure of a NW that kicks hairs, I'll wear nitrile gloves. In an OW, you don't have to worry about that but it could just be for sanitary purposes if you're cleaning out boluses, or feces, etc.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I wear disposable gloves every time I feed/water my spiders. Protects me from bacteria on crickets, boluses, fouled water bowls, etc. Also keeps anything on my hands (soap residue, food grease, lotions, sprays, etc) from the spiders. Plus they're a barrier from urticating hairs, especially when combined with a long sleeve shirt.

I recommend everyone wear disposable gloves when working with their spiders.

There is no glove you can wear that is both bite-proof and allows for any kind of dexterity when working with fast-moving venomous animals (I used to keep cobras). I don't know why anyone would think he would wear gloves for bite protection.

Bread

Arachnopeon
I've still got my old kevlar gloves from the military, but I'd rather let a Pokie bite me than risk it hurting a fang :/

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
I wear disposable gloves every time I feed/water my spiders. Protects me from bacteria on crickets, boluses, fouled water bowls, etc. Also keeps anything on my hands (soap residue, food grease, lotions, sprays, etc) from the spiders. Plus they're a barrier from urticating hairs, especially when combined with a long sleeve shirt.

There is no glove you can wear that is both bite-proof and allows for any kind of dexterity when working with fast-moving venomous animals (I used to keep cobras). I don't know why anyone would think he would wear gloves for bite protection.
I don't feel that it is necessary to wear gloves. Everything that gets on you hands can be washed of and as long as you don't come into contact with harsh chemicals I don't see any problem for your Ts with whats on your hands.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

Hahahahaha really? Bacteria on crickets on your hand? Do you wipe your butt with gloves on too? You shouldn't even have skin contact with a bolus, water dish or left over prey item, that's what hemostats/tongs are for.

Gloves for urticating hairs I understand.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I work with commercial grade pesticides every other week. I wear cologne, clean the house with harsh chemicals, so on and so on and so on. As with any exotic pet, it's expected that you wash your hands before dealing with these creatures.

No deaths yet.

I go in there with body armor if I'm dealing the the urticating setae of a T. stirmi, but anything else? My tongs are touching everything, not my hands.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I work with commercial grade pesticides every other week. I wear cologne, clean the house with harsh chemicals, so on and so on and so on. As with any exotic pet, it's expected that you wash your hands before dealing with these creatures.

No deaths yet.

I go in there with body armor if I'm dealing the the urticating setae of a T. stirmi, but anything else? My tongs are touching everything, not my hands.
But those crickets and roaches are soooooo icky. *flamboyantly throws hands in the air*

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
But those crickets and roaches are soooooo icky. *flamboyantly throws hands in the air*
I actually do wear gloves when cleaning the roach colonies :D Those things are gross. The females secrete this fluid that gets sticky very quickly, and it's neigh impossible to wash off. So, when I'm dealing with a few thousand roaches... then yeah, gloves all the way. I learned really quick, though, to put rubber bands around my wrists to prevent roaches from crawling into the gloves.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I actually do wear gloves when cleaning the roach colonies :D Those things are gross. The females secrete this fluid that gets sticky very quickly, and it's neigh impossible to wash off. So, when I'm dealing with a few thousand roaches... then yeah, gloves all the way. I learned really quick, though, to put rubber bands around my wrists to prevent roaches from crawling into the gloves.
Yeah, that's another story and I understand why someone would. Even then, I don't, I am a disgusting human and I've been in filthier situations without gloves. Fish filter maintenance is the grossest thing ever.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I would have had to get rid of my two B. smithi unless I wore the surgical gloves. I wear them all the time because of the urticating hair. I always use tongs when doing maintenance in all enclosures, but even having my hands in close proximity of their enclosure would make me itch. Plus, they kick hairs the moment I even look at them, so doing anything with them brings a high risk of coming in contact with their hairs - even just opening the lid disturbs the hairs that are everywhere.
Now, I just use them for everyone and things have been great. I was miserable before. And, I feel much better dealing with the crickets too.
However, I would never be under the illusion that they would protect me from a bite at all. They are only successful protection against urticating hairs.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I

I use forceps, but sometimes things stick to them because of silk and have to be pulled off. I scoop up crickets in my gloved hands and toss them into the spider cages, faster that way. There's a number of reasons to wear gloves.