I took the plunge!

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
Being on a spider board does these things, and after a bit of research and snooping around I ordered my first spider. Starting off small, I ordered a little Eresus walckenaeri juvenile who arrived safe and sound today. I expected them to be small but oh dear, not that small!

No idea what gender it is and I guess I won't know for a while! The only thing I am worried about is moisture and molting. I know that they are a 'burrowing-and-possibly-hide-under-a-rock-all-my-life' species and that the paper towel in the bottom may collect moisture, but I know I'm going to be worrying about them not getting enough. I am also rather worried that due to the tight fit, they may molt and get stuck in said molt because there's not much space in there for them to emerge. I do have the smallest possible size of those very useful boxes that I could drill or prick tiny holes in. This one is full of old sub right now but hopefully it gives a good visualisation. Would it be alright to move them into this tub?

For food I have bought bean weevils and was graciously provided some tiny crickets for free since that was what they were eating before I ordered them. Not sure when the last molt was but they were fed a few days prior to me ordering so I'm set to feed them come monday.

Seriously, if you want to order some inverts in the UK, I do recommend Virginia Cheeseman. She's great!

basin79

ArachnoGod
Being on a spider board does these things, and after a bit of research and snooping around I ordered my first spider. Starting off small, I ordered a little Eresus walckenaeri juvenile who arrived safe and sound today. I expected them to be small but oh dear, not that small!

No idea what gender it is and I guess I won't know for a while! The only thing I am worried about is moisture and molting. I know that they are a 'burrowing-and-possibly-hide-under-a-rock-all-my-life' species and that the paper towel in the bottom may collect moisture, but I know I'm going to be worrying about them not getting enough. I am also rather worried that due to the tight fit, they may molt and get stuck in said molt because there's not much space in there for them to emerge. I do have the smallest possible size of those very useful boxes that I could drill or prick tiny holes in. This one is full of old sub right now but hopefully it gives a good visualisation. Would it be alright to move them into this tub?

For food I have bought bean weevils and was graciously provided some tiny crickets for free since that was what they were eating before I ordered them. Not sure when the last molt was but they were fed a few days prior to me ordering so I'm set to feed them come monday.

Seriously, if you want to order some inverts in the UK, I do recommend Virginia Cheeseman. She's great!
Personally I'd use a tub with a little more depth. Just put bone dry sub in the bottom. Bone dry moss on top.

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
Got them a taller tub, it's unfortunately a bit spacious for a little one like that but I have added a ton of hiding places to compensate such as moss, old, already webbed sub from their little jar, cut up hides and some fake leaves. I added some twigs as an anchor point for their web because they decided to start webbing up in the air, despite me hearing that they like webbing in the ground. Do they do that as they get older? I have added a ton of substrate, too, more than enough to accomodate them getting a burrow going if they want to.

I ended up cutting out one of my tiny pill sheets that I take in the morning and filling that with small drops of water. Should I add some paper towel to it to stop them from drowning or can these little guys break the surface tension and 'swim'?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Got them a taller tub, it's unfortunately a bit spacious for a little one like that but I have added a ton of hiding places to compensate such as moss, old, already webbed sub from their little jar, cut up hides and some fake leaves. I added some twigs as an anchor point for their web because they decided to start webbing up in the air, despite me hearing that they like webbing in the ground. Do they do that as they get older? I have added a ton of substrate, too, more than enough to accomodate them getting a burrow going if they want to.

I ended up cutting out one of my tiny pill sheets that I take in the morning and filling that with small drops of water. Should I add some paper towel to it to stop them from drowning or can these little guys break the surface tension and 'swim'?
I don't provide mine with any water/moisture. Mine also have always webbed their dry moss and made a tunnel in it.

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
Seems they alternate between sitting inside some of their old, webbed sub and going to the top of a stick where their web is. It's a bit of a distance apart for a little one so it seems like it's not too out of it's element if it treks back and forth like that.

I offered them a bean weevil today by placing it in their top web and they took it from me. Checked back a while later to see it tucking in, I take it eating as a good sign. Super delicate critters, I love them already. :happy:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Seems they alternate between sitting inside some of their old, webbed sub and going to the top of a stick where their web is. It's a bit of a distance apart for a little one so it seems like it's not too out of it's element if it treks back and forth like that.

I offered them a bean weevil today by placing it in their top web and they took it from me. Checked back a while later to see it tucking in, I take it eating as a good sign. Super delicate critters, I love them already. :happy:
The great thing about them is you just put their moss into a bigger enclosure when you need to rehouse. You just make a space in the new moss. They then just start webbing up the bigger space.