1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I thought it was funny

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Ratmosphere, Sep 13, 2017 at 11:07 AM.

1. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoprince Active Member

Advertisement
    Sent my dad a video of me socializing with my new centipede. What he said back made me laugh for a good 5 minutes.

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  2. LeFanDesBugs

LeFanDesBugs Arachnoknight Active Member

Paris
    My god this is pure gold xD

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf Arachnoknight Active Member

4. Staehilomyces

Staehilomyces Arachnolord Active Member

Haha, and I thought "poisonous insect" was bad!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Grace Cannell

Grace Cannell Arachnopeon Active Member

I think the "reptile" bit hurts most. Whenever I am asked if my T's are "poisonous", I just reply that I have never tried to eat them.

• Love Love x 2
  6. Ratmosphere

Right? I expected more from my dad haha. At least call it a "bug" IF ANYTHING.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnoknight Active Member

<is this reptile poisonous>
    No, but if you eat it, it's spicy.

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. VolkswagenBug

VolkswagenBug Arachnoknight Active Member

Utah
    In China, they sell centipedes (usually subspinipes) as street food. I wonder if they're actually spicy.

9. MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

These kind of stuff make my stomach sick, why you should you sell an insect as food.

10. Ratmosphere

11. Grace Cannell

Some countries eat insects because they recognise the nutritional value of edible insects. Insects have all the 9 animo acids we need and are easily accessed and digested. That being said, I'd sooner have a packet of crisps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. LawnShrimp

LawnShrimp Arachnoknight Active Member

Crickets, mealworms, and roaches etc. are a good and efficient source of protein for both humans and their pet insectivores. However, I doubt if centipedes are edible for anything but shock value. Many Asian night markets (especially the tourist traps) sell cooked centipede on a stick. The flavor has been described as bitter and unpleasant. Centipede venom, however, when extracted properly and refined, can be used as a nonaddictive painkiller and potentially a cancer drug.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Staehilomyces

Staehilomyces Arachnolord Active Member

Entomophagy is great IMO, due to the fact that insects can be bred quickly and in enormous numbers. However, this advantage does not apply to long-lived and often solitary inverts such as centipedes, scorpions and tarantulas. I perceive the consumption of those as nothing more than unnecessary shock value.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Grace Cannell

Totally agree. What I was saying applied mostly to crickets, it's amazing just how much you can get from eating them. I have never tried them, I follow someone on instagram who orders cricket "snacks" from overseas and recommends them. I am not sure I could get past the idea of eating an insect personally, I don't even like touching the crickets I feed my T's. I think it might have something to do with the fact they smell so awful haha!

• Like Like x 1
  15. VolkswagenBug

VolkswagenBug Arachnoknight Active Member

Utah
    Technically not an insect. :p
    I'm not personally a fan of eating any animals, arthropods included. I'm not a super strict vegetarian, though, more of a "flexitarian." Insects are better imo since they're not as smart as mammals, but I don't think I would want to eat something that I also keep as a pet.

16. Meal worms and super worms taste like salted circus peanuts. Crickets taste like almonds. They're a good source of protein, and honestly I would eat them myself more often if I didn't have to go significantly out of my way now to buy more.

17. BobBarley

BobBarley Arachnoprince Active Member

I can say that I have prekilled a couple crickets and popped them in my mouth when I had a few extras. Texture and flavor resembled a shrimp. :) I've heard scorpion tastes amazing and tarantula tastes like crab. If given the chance I think I'd try both.

18. MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Exactly.