I thought I was ready!

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I've seen OBTs on some top ten best beginner T lists and it confused me. How can any OW be considered beginner? I'm actually legit confused about this.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I've seen OBTs on some top ten best beginner T lists and it confused me. How can any OW be considered beginner? I'm actually legit confused about this.
Definitely someone w a bad sense of humor. I've seen them on most aggressive, worst bite and best looking lists. I would agree that they are One of the better looking tarantulas.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Wow, whoever made that list must be trying to hurt people
Here's the list I saw it on. I remember it from when I was doing my original research on a T before coming across AB and getting everyone's input on here. I had made a top 4 (or 5... can't remember anymore because my list has more now) list and brought it to AB, but I got the info on my top list from other people's lists such as this one below.
http://tarantulakeeper.blogspot.com/2008/12/top-10-beginners-tarantulas.html?m=1

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Wow and it's number 1
I thinks it's number 10. It's a count down list to number 1, but its definitely the 1st one you read about on the list. This still blows my mind that anyone would put an OW on a top 10 beginner T list.

There was another list I saw it on, but I can't find it now. The other list I saw it on had it listed as a fake number one. For someone not paying attention, they might think it was the actual number one on that list. I'm still looking, but I can't seem to find that one.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^^^^LP is my #1, so I don't mind that one. My avatar is the lovely Rachel Spider.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
he is kind of ranking it as a most hardiest tarantula list though. but yeah, that guy has different priorities than what people look for in beginner spiders. i doubt hes ever rehoused a OBT, thats where the problems come in.

cold blood

Staff member
This comes up every now and again....basically it comes from people having no business offerring advice to beginners, making a beginners list...like 90% of youtube vids.

In most of those lists, the very best species are often excluded in favor of color or percieved size or hardiness....which is the stupidest thing, as almost all ts are very hardy, so using that factor in a beginners list to justify species like murinus does nothing more than show the authors ignorance....and maybe need for attention.

he is kind of ranking it as a most hardiest tarantula list though. but yeah, that guy has different priorities than what people look for in beginner spiders. i doubt hes ever rehoused a OBT, thats where the problems come in.
Ultra fast growth doesnt help beginners either. No beginner should be asked or expected to be able to "handle" anything as fast and ready to run as an OBT.

Here's the list I saw it on. I remember it from when I was doing my original research on a T before coming across AB and getting everyone's input on here. I had made a top 4 (or 5... can't remember anymore because my list has more now) list and brought it to AB, but I got the info on my top list from other people's lists such as this one below.
http://tarantulakeeper.blogspot.com/2008/12/top-10-beginners-tarantulas.html?m=1
Man, thats really a terribly written list...almost every description is SERIOUSLY flawed, if not downright incorrect.

cold blood

Staff member
And to think this is the type of info people find when trying to research getting a new T.
Yup, it really can be difficult...with so much random nonsense, its difficult for beginners to find proper info, much less know whether its coming from a trustworthy source.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Too many people rush into OWs with the barest of concerns, if any at all.

..He thinks it's hilarious..
It isn't, he clearly doesn't have your pet's best interests on his mind.

the name of the thread and this post are so ironic.
@Venom1080 I couldn't agree more! This guy has to be the fastest 180 I've ever seen on the forum so far! :wideyed:

How in the heck could anyone box an adult obt?
Carefully- they are all unique. My female always greeted me with a threat pose EVERY time her container was slightly disturbed. She was beautiful, but not at all an animal to be taken lightly.

It's not that you have to see where anyone is coming from or ask anyone's permission to buy a type of tarantula. The problem is you set the tone of the stage. You told us of your setback and the realization that you weren't ready for an OW. We think "wise choice" and 2 1/2 weeks later it's "I bought an OBT".
I cannot honestly fathom how someone, who clearly wrote they weren't ready after an incident with an Avic, in a mere additional 2.5 weeks is magically thinks they are ready now for an OW. I guess some people have to learn by Darwin's Theory of Evolution.

I know it doesn't make sense to most people here, but 2 1/2 weeks was enough time for me, not only that, but I learn the best by jumpimg right into things. If I don't do that I become too timid and doubt myself.
SO 2 months wasn't enough time to avoid an error with a basic Avic, but an extra 2.5 weeks was enough time to be ready for an OW... :rolleyes:o_Oo_O:rolleyes:

All of your rationalizations in the subsequent posts to mine in this thread are no substitute for experience; it is something you don't have yet. Good luck, your T will need it.

How can any OW be considered beginner?
It isn't.

Man, I couldnt imagine if that was a more aggresive, or even faster species.
Clearly you can do more than imagine...OBT owner.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
i think a P muticus would be a good OW if youre dead set on them. pick up a 1" sling, it will never outgrow your experience lol.
Which is exactly why I went for the 2cm body sling. But even at this size, she was pretty impressive when angry. Didn't matter i didn't hear her stridulate because she is not capable of producing that sound yet, i SAW her do that, fangs extended and actively engaging in a fight with my brush. I ended up gently shoving her in her enclosure wit a lid from another tub.
She's happily tunneling away in her tub, but i made sure she went in a rather large one so i wouldn't have to rehouse her anytime soon.
I get the shivers thinking that i would have to face that every month if that was an OBT.
I don't think i will ever get one of those.

Of course, all my planning to take it slow considering OW went off because i got a freebie O.sp.Blue Panay :D. But if that proves to be too much i'll just return it to sender.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Its easy once you have done it a few times. Though bolts are always possible. Just got to be as prepared as possible.

Tomorrow I have to pack some AF murinus,chordatus,:mask:lugardi:mask:(which always want to kill me when packinga aha) and an AF C. meridionalis and H. pulchripes.

There will be many cola bottles catch cups at the ready.. as always.
Are you still amongst the living, my friend?

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Of course, all my planning to take it slow considering OW went off because i got a freebie O.sp.Blue Panay :D. But if that proves to be too much i'll just return it to sender.
I've wondered how that works with freebies. I'm afraid to get an OW as a freebie. I know for a fact that I'm years from wanting one. What am I supposed to do if I get one for free? Does this happen a lot?

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
I've wondered how that works with freebies. I'm afraid to get an OW as a freebie. I know for a fact that I'm years from wanting one. What am I supposed to do if I get one for free? Does this happen a lot?
I would just express to the seller you're not ready for old worlds, even if you have to slip it in the conversation somewhere

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
you could probably sell it or give it to some one more experienced. ive never had a ow freebie so i dont think it happens too often.

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
To date, I've only received 3 OW freebies. I'm guessing it was due to ordering OWs. They were C. sp black satan, C. meridionalis, and H. pulchripes.

Correction. Technically 4 OW. Also received a free 0.1.0 E. olivacea.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
To date, I've only received 3 OW freebies. I'm guessing it was due to ordering OWs. They were C. sp black satan, C. meridionalis, and H. pulchripes.
C. sp black satan.... I just had to look that one up. Sounds interesting. Is the name suited to the character of the T?