I think she's molting.....

King_Baboon_Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've just come home and had a quick look at my Stripe Knee in her burrow and she was tilting to one side. She knew I was there and she righted herself and ran to the end of her burrow.

Could anyone tell me if this is the first sign (the tilting to one side) that she is preparing to go on her back and moult.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
King_Baboon_Guy said:
Could anyone tell me if this is the first sign (the tilting to one side) that she is preparing to go on her back and moult.
Could be, were there any other signs of pre-moult behavior (fasting, spun a silk mat on the substrate that you can see, etc.)? On the other hand, she might have just been "resting" by leaning to one side - Ts can take up all manner of unusual (to us) positions. If I had to guess, though, I'd say probably not since you mentioned running back into a burrow: as best I know, these guys usually moult down in their burrows and so would probably have not been preparing to moult out in the open where you could see anything.

King_Baboon_Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had her for about 4 weeks now and she hasn't ate for over 2 weeks (I keep adding and taking out crickets cause she isn't interested). Previously she has been blocking up her burrow entrance with substrate. Her abdomen is quite bold and is quite dark.

I've just had another quick glimpse and she is in the same position as before, leaning to the right hand side.

She can't be ill cause she is still responding well and I thought T's curled the legs beneath them and don't respond very well when they are dying.

PS Humidity at present is 76% with temperature 77 deg (is this ok)

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If the "skin" underneath the hairs is turning dark than I would believe that she is preparing to moult. Give her time and just keep an eye on her.

Also, if she is refusing to eat, then stop dropping in food. When she is ready to eat, believe me....she'll pick up.

Laura

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
....and when you check in on her, try to be as quiet and "invisible" as you can so as to not disturb her. It could take her anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to actually molt and the more comfortable and secure she feels, the sooner she will molt. Many of my Ts will lounge on their sides just because they like to and IME, it doesn't really mean that it's an indication of a pending "roll over" for a molt. Give her lots of peace and quiet and time and she'll give you an exo:D

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It prolly is...when i saw my Blondi molt she was on her side for awhile....then she turned and sat normal, and she molted standing normal....she didn't molt on her back...which really surprised me.

-Mattyb

knottyduke

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My GBB likes to molt on her side. I don't think she has ever molted on her back.
Our G. rosea molted standing up and slightly tilted to her left side, but it was not much of a tilt.

They can molt in any postion they want and its one of the greatest things to see. So good luck with it and I hope she lets you watch.