I think it's time for a new tank...

Nathan Dorian

Arachnopeon
Remember my G. rosea's tank getting knocked onto the ground?

Well, she seemed fine and dandy but I worried because she (or he, still not 100% sure) hadn't eaten since.

Then yesterday my fiance cried, "Your spider is stuck...!?"

And I found this (don't mind the empty water pot with the dead cricket legs under it XD I've sorted that all out now that it's safe):

And today?

Isn't he/she absolutely gorgeous?

But looking at those legs, I think it's time for a new, bigger tank. (And an opportunity for better substrate without me peeing my pants, hurrah!)

I am totally beaming!

The thing is... Her siblings (my Dad owns two and my sister owns four) are all about half the size of her. For some unknown reason she is growing much more than them, much quicker (and they've all been moulting fine.)

I've got a super tarantula. XD Can't wait 'til she reaches adulthood, seeing how pretty she is now.

Who dares say that G. rosea are boring?

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought MM Rosie is supposed to have hooks. Other than that, fast growing rosie ceteris paribus indicates a male.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those legs scream male to me too. Looks EXACTLY like mine several months ago. (poor guy got eaten on his first date)

I would suggest keeping him though. He'll give you at least a year or two of fun.

Crazy0monkey

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
omg that rosie is beautifullllll :D. gratz on the molt and i love ur gf: "its stuck!!" lol

Nathan Dorian

Arachnopeon
First everyone tells me female, now everyone tells me male! {D

I'm happy either way.

Not MM yet though I don't think? Still rather small, unless MMs are usually small.

Must be about two years old now, I think. I'll have to ask my sister. (She also owns the Mum.)

omg that rosie is beautifullllll :D. gratz on the molt and i love ur gf: "its stuck!!" lol
Boyfriend, actually. :}

Nathan Dorian

Arachnopeon
Improvement~! Turns out we need to buy new substrate.

Aaaand tomorrow I'll start working on plans to kit out the new tank to turn it into a little tarantula castle. (Well, not literally a castle.) I'm not going to add anything for 1-2 weeks though, when I'll start feeding again.

For now Phoenix gets peace and quiet, to recover from the moult.

Avix4me

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome-ya, i agree with mark-it looks almost exactly like our MM rosea, if it is a mature male, breed it fast if u want too, cause you probably only got about a year left with the dude. :(

Nathan Dorian

Arachnopeon
I still don't think it's big enough to be MM. Male maybe, but not MM?

I haven't seen an adult rosie in such a long time that I couldn't possible tell.

Also, I'd like to breed it if it is MM because it just seems mean to let it go crazy without a mate, but that time has not come yet and also there is no way in Hell that I am ever shipping my T out.

How big are MMs usually?

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it has hooks then it's a MM, so check for those. They're under the front legs at about the halfway point on the leg. They're very obvious, so you shouldn't miss them. The males use those to hold up the females during mating and they only have them when they're MM.

Nathan Dorian

Arachnopeon
Phoenix doesn't appear to have any hooks.

I looked at the moult though and it did look like a more male moult, no flappy bit.

:?

So maybe male but not MM yet?

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Get some side shots of the front legs.