1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I'm in over my head

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Andaingean, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Andaingean

Andaingean Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    So decided to try my first attempt at breeding tarantulas...
    My B. Vagans about 3 months back didn't even record the date because she was pretty hostile towards the male and it didn't seem successful. So I turned to my L.Parahybana attempt number 1 immediately turned into a owning of the male within 2 minutes. So I thought well at least he paid for dinner....
    Never gave it another thought.
    Dec 24th L.Parahybana egg sac! Cool great got everything setup for incoming babies. Then I think to myself that B.Vagan that buried herself 3 weeks ago sure is taking her time to molt so I looked at the very back of the tank where she stays.....
    Another sac and no idea when she made it.
    I don't know if I'm prepared for 2 sacs around the same time

• Like Like x 4
    • Award Award x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Walker253

Walker253 Arachnobaron

Wholesale those things out.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Draketeeth

Draketeeth Arachnoknight

USA
    Gratz on the successes! Can see how that would be utterly overwhelming, particularly with an LP brood in the mix, but if you were feeling ambitious enough to attempt a breeding, you got this! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

Don't forget that LPs can have well over 1,000 eggs per sack. Good luck! ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnobaron

Ohio
    Congrats on the successful breeding as for the LP eggsac I am with everybody else who posted before me, but I think you can handle it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Arachnohipster Arachnosupporter

Congratulations on the many, many babies coming your way!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  7. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Given that a vagans can have 2-300+ in a sac...and an LP can have between 1 and 3K....I would be shocked if you were actually prepared. Seperating them will take hours, if not a few days....just setting up 1-3 thousand deli cups is another full days work...feeding...lmao, you gotta feed em all once even if you are wholesaling them (neither has much value on a wholesale level)...feeding that many is a daunting task. It will take many days, and as soon as you are done you will need to start over.

I do not envy you...You couldn't pay me to put a male and female LP within 10 feet of one another...lol....much less pair them.

It will be a learning experience for sure.

Look up how to make an incubator... @louise f has some great tutorials on a good, easy to make incubator. And start collecting condiment cups by the truckload.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. Andaingean

Andaingean Arachnopeon

Bought 1500 deli cups and have the incubator made already but I think you're right about the amount of potential overwhelming amount of offsping.

• Like Like x 1
  9. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

Congratulations on the sacs! Always nice to find a sac by surprise :).

But yeah I sure hope those were small females lol. As others mentioned thats a lot of potential offspring.

Last time I paired vagans I ended up with 470~ Spiderling. I wouldnt even try to pair LPs unless I had a workforce helping me until they were all sold aha.

Good luck to you, I hope all is healthy :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. louise f

louise f Arachnoangel

Hey yeah sure here it is. ;)

And to you @Andaingean congratz and the best of luck. :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 1
  11. The good news about LPs: theyre so cheap you could give half away for free and still make a profit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Lucky you! Be sure to post pictures of the mayhem when you get a chance!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. darkness975

darkness975 Dream Reaper Arachnosupporter

You're back!

@Andaingean as others have said you are going to need a lot of condiment cups. Personally I would not have bred an LP but since it is done the best you can do is try to get set up for them as quickly as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  14. louise f

louise f Arachnoangel

Yes i am :)

• Love Love x 1
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  15. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoworm Staff Member

Quote of the day :hilarious: I just got done shipping out my MM - didn't even sell him, just gave him away for free.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. awiec

awiec Arachnoprince

It may be a little barbaric, but depending on how big that LP sac is, I'd just leave them together until they reduce themselves to a more reasonable number or you sell enough to warrent separating into their own deli cups. It took me a good 5 or 6 hours to separate my 200 T.gigas slings and I did this at 1st instar stage, so they weren't even able to run away from me. It took about 10 hours to pack and ship them when they gained the ability to run. I couldn't imagine doing that with thousands of low value slings, my time is more valuable than that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. MetalMan2004

MetalMan2004 Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    There may not be any other choice. There are only so many hrs in the day!

18. awiec

awiec Arachnoprince

I'm sure there are people who save every single one but if you don't have the time (feeding takes forever too) or space, then there is little you can do. If you can sell bulk really fast you could avoid some pain but one sac basically supplies the market for a year. Also in my case, LPs make me itch horribly so I would be ,as the wise sages from Linkin Park say, crawling in my skin.

19. louise f

louise f Arachnoangel

• Love Love x 1
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  20. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

This comment made my day :kiss:

Not for what was written in particular, but for everything at 360°. I'm so much happy, really really happy to see you again, oh Viking Sis :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1