I think I lucked out and got a Mexican Golden Redrump!

TexasT

Arachnopeon
Ok, interestingly, this species was first named Brachypelma ruhnaui, then Aphonopelma albiceps, then Brachypelma albiceps. So at one time it WAS considered to be an Aphonopelma. Not sure what made them change their minds. Has anyone seen a MM B. albiceps in person here that could give their input? I will work on getting better pictures.

TexasT

Arachnopeon
I am assuming you were looking at the similarities to Aphonopelma anax? I agree that they do look quite a bit the same, my guy has a much redder rump though and much lighter/golden carapace. Not saying he's NOT an Aphonopelma, but I'm still not convinced. I guess I will have to take him outside tomorrow and take some pics in the sunlight to show his colors.

Not for killing wishful thinking but even though the Brachys and Aphonopelmas are closely related I agree that this is an Aphonopelma spp look through Tarantula Canada's gallery. http://www.tarantulacanada.ca/English/English.htm

---------- Post added 08-20-2011 at 08:40 PM ----------

Was looking through the Aphonopelma thread in the picture gallery here on AB and found this pic:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n174/iheartmybaby_2007/DSC0024220Levels20640x480.jpg

It was posted by member Kugellager and here is the text accompanying the picture:

"This is a 4" spider I raised from a sling born in captivity August 2003 from a wild collected egg sac found in the hills NW of Canon City, Colorado. So we're looking at a sac that was found at around 7000 ft + in altitude.

This was supposedly something called an A.coloradanum which I suspect is nothing but a colorful A.hentzi whose cephalothorax is a bit more shiny gold than 'normal' for a A.hentzi. Does anyone else in the Denver area still have any of the slings from that spider party long ago? This is one of three I have left. They were very easy to raise, are extremely low maintenance and, as you can see, quite colorful."

Possibility?

Last edited by a moderator:

synyster

Arachnobaron
First of all, I will suggest you be careful with posting pictures that were not taken by yourself. Read the rules on copyrights. This is just friendly advice to help you avoid trouble and warnings.

I agree about this possibly being an Aphonopelma spp. And I personally don't think you should make any attempt at mating it with a Brachypelma species. It sucks to see a MM go to waste but there is no historical record on this spider to prove exactly what genus, let alone species, that it is, and it is probably a Wc specimen anyways which makes IDing 2x harder...

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They call it B.ruhnaui but that is an old species name that is now called Brachypelma albiceps.

Yes they are pretty easy to distinguish from B.vagans. Good score if you got it for the same price as a vagans ;)
THEY do? Did you even read what THEY said?

Swifty

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
First of all, I will suggest you be careful with posting pictures that were not taken by yourself. Read the rules on copyrights. This is just friendly advice to help you avoid trouble and warnings.

I agree about this possibly being an Aphonopelma spp. And I personally don't think you should make any attempt at mating it with a Brachypelma species. It sucks to see a MM go to waste but there is no historical record on this spider to prove exactly what genus, let alone species, that it is, and it is probably a Wc specimen anyways which makes IDing 2x harder...
I agree with this. It looks Aphonopelma to me as well, but since there is no way to confirm 100% what he is, breeding him really isn't a good idea.

TexasT

Arachnopeon
Y'all are right, I won't be mating him since there is really no way to 100% confirm what he is. I also apologize for posting pictures that were not mine. The one of the A. coloradanum from another poster on this board I just assumed would be ok since I said it was another poster and gave their username but I definitely should've pm'd them first to ask permission. I will not do so again.

synyster

Arachnobaron
THEY do? Did you even read what THEY said?

Swifty
What do you mean by this? Was it not written B.ruhnaui on your site? And who said what?

EDIT: and just so you don't get me wrong, in no meanings whatsoever did I intend to discredit you website, your knowledge or attack your credibility. I was just responding to the OP's post and she linked it towards you. I saw B.albiceps listed as B.ruhnaui and thats it. So my only intention was to clarify what I read. But you have really confused me with your reply...

Last edited:

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What do you mean by this? Was it not written B.ruhnaui on your site? And who said what?

EDIT: and just so you don't get me wrong, in no meanings whatsoever did I intend to discredit you website, your knowledge or attack your credibility. I was just responding to the OP's post and she linked it towards you. I saw B.albiceps listed as B.ruhnaui and thats it. So my only intention was to clarify what I read. But you have really confused me with your reply...
Relax, I'm not worried about my credibility. It seems a bit of confusion, because I have them listed on my pricelist as B. albiceps yet, your right, on my gallery (which I haven't updated since 2003) it still has B. ruhnaui. I did not realize that was where you were refering to. It's not a big deal.
On the original topic, it could be a mature A. anax, or possibly A. chalcodes?

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
OP, Lets hope, with luck, this isn't an "albogans". :clown:

edit: I was initially going on what was mentioned thus far in writing. I'll have to admit after looking at the photos, it does appear quite Aphonopelma-ish

Last edited: