I suspect gravid. What say the rest of you?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Noticed this AFS at the pet store. Appeared to be gravid to me, so I picked it up as I think rearing a brood would be interesting. I already own two, but what would one more hurt, I rationalized.
It later occurred to me that it could actually just be really plump and ready to moult, though. I'm unable to examine the pectines for sexing, I'm hesitant to bother it too much. In fact, I'm leaving it in the small critter keeper it came in to avoid causing any troubles in the event it is in fact gravid, unless opinions suggest it would be okay to move it.

m_IMG_6959crop.jpg

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Noticed this AFS at the pet store. Appeared to be gravid to me, so I picked it up as I think rearing a brood would be interesting. I already own two, but what would one more hurt, I rationalized.
It later occurred to me that it could actually just be really plump and ready to moult, though. I'm unable to examine the pectines for sexing, I'm hesitant to bother it too much. In fact, I'm leaving it in the small critter keeper it came in to avoid causing any troubles in the event it is in fact gravid, unless opinions suggest it would be okay to move it.

View attachment 267201
Looks gravid.

Set up the enclosure for it. Lay the Kritter keeper it's in into the larger enclosure and let it walk out in its own so you don't have to poke or prod it.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yeah, I bought a five-gallon for just that purpose yesterday. Got home last night and set it up, put the critter keeper in there, end for end and left the lights off. Fifteen minutes later she had moved out of the old enclosure. She has since moved under the piece of cork bark I supplied for a hide.

Did not have a heat mat to adhere to the side, so I improvised. I've trained a low-wattage ceramic heat emitter bulb onto the side of the tank, effectively creating the same result as a heat mat. Temperature is running at around 81 degrees in the enclosure. Not a very practical method, but it is working.

Guess we'll see what happens.