1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I started a cricket farm yesterday

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by tarantulalover9, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Advertisement
    so yesterday, actually 2 days ago, I kept my crickets in a big tall tupaware container and they where perfectly fine and walking around then the next day they where all dead so then I went to the pet store, Petco , and then I asked why they all died at the same time and she said that seince they where all piled up on each other and no space they got stressed and died so then I bought a 10 gal. aguraime and then Eco Earth and 50 new crickets and automaticly the females laid their eggs so It's going great

2. Congrats! I'm deciding on starting a feeder colony too, but I haven't made up my mind on which one yet (roach varieties, or crickets). Keep us posted. Would love to read about how your colony turns out...

3. andrewpzb

andrewpzb Arachnopeon

am thinking of doing my own food breeding i just saw my b albop eat its cricket 4 the 1st time ever it normally leaves it till am a sleep but just put my cricket and bam 4 secs later it got it

4. jayefbe

jayefbe Arachnoprince

Just get some B. dubia. They're about a million times better than crickets and they won't die on you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Phlerr

Phlerr Arachnoknight

I've been thinking of doing the same thing here lately. I know I'll start a B dubia colony cause honestly I cannot stand the smell of crickets.......ugh. Just opening up a bag with a couple dozen in there about makes me wanna gag. But anyways to the OP good luck with starting your cricket colony. :)

6. Chris_Skeleton

Chris_Skeleton Arachnoprince

They told you that to make a sale.... it worked.

7. andrewpzb

andrewpzb Arachnopeon

how big do the tarantula need to be to give B dubia

8. well they dont have to be any particular size because dubias are like crickets and they vary in size and they can be used for any size tarantula, scorpion...ect. and to use crickets or dubia's is a chioce among the keeper hope that answered your question

---------- Post added 06-27-2012 at 09:16 PM ----------

oh no I read about the cricket farm thing online and thought about doing it then

---------- Post added 06-27-2012 at 09:18 PM ----------

ok i will defenetly do that

9. Bayushi

Bayushi Arachnoprince Old Timer

As excited as you are to have started a cricket farm, I think you should be aware that the crickets will eat the eggs as they find them and will also prey on any pinheads that hatch out.

Crickets are nasty that way and don't have any issues about committing cannibalism on their tank mates, even if there is enough food to feed them all plus a a hundred more.

10. Louise E. Rothstein

Louise E. Rothstein Arachnobaron Old Timer

Please provide your crickets with portable containers that contain suitable substrate for laying eggs in.
    Females normally do not lay eggs "in the open" unless they are kept in a very unsuitable environment:
    Instinct does prompt them to bury their eggs in slightly moist(not soaking) substrate.

And they need protein for active breeding.
    Although eating their dead is normal for crickets active hunting behavior becomes more likely if the adults' protein level is too low.

If their diet and substrate are correct you need only replace the filled eggcups to avoid cannibal crickets.

They will not be hunting hard if they are treated right.

11. As Louise mentioned, you provide a portable container for egg laying. After about 48 hours, you transfer the container to its own enclosure, where the pinheads can hatch and grow separated from the adults. Some people put screen on top of the substrate when the egg container is in with the adults. Mature females can still get their ovipositors through the holes in the screen, but other adult crickets are unable to eat the eggs. For some people, the screen is not worth it. They're experiencing minimal egg eating anyway.

12. Risky

Risky Arachnosquire

I just wanted to chime in and add one piece of advice in regards to cricket farms. Make sure you have a very secure, tight screen/lid. I thought my screen was pretty good in my 40 gal tank that I used to keep my crickets in. Somehow I'd always hear escaped crickets under the kitchen fridge at night.

13. RS4guy

RS4guy Arachnosquire

Boston
    I would love to do a roach colony, wifey doesn't allow though.... So crix for now, until I can find a way to hide the roaches! ;)

14. DeidraDisaster

DeidraDisaster Arachnopeon

Did you explain to your wife that roaches are actually cleaner and, in the long run, are less expensive than crickets? She might change her mind.

Congrats on your cricket farm! I am thinking of starting a dubia colony because I am sick of buying dozens of crickets and having them die in just a few days even though they have food and water crystals. I only have a couple of T's though so I haven't decided if it would be worth it yet.

15. poisoned

poisoned Arachnodemon

Crickets are disgusting compared to roaches. They smell bad, look gross and die. Just bought a pack of crickets yesterday, to remind me why I hate them so much.

16. le-thomas

le-thomas Arachnobaron

I still use crickets because my dubias aren't producing yet. Also, I like roaches so cutting them up and such makes me feel bad, dumb as that is. Plus crickets don't burrow and I can just throw them in there.

17. Obelisk

Obelisk Arachnobaron

Crickets are only preferable if you just have a few T's. With warm temps, lots of surface area, ventilation, and moist cocofiber, they're pretty easy to breed.

They're short-lived though, so you're always going to be taking out dead adults. Also, their reproduction is explosive, so you'll have to cull a lot of offspring unless you want to be overrun with them.

18. Skeri

Skeri Arachnosquire

I must be lucky with crickets, because so far my mortality rate with my first set of breeders is pretty low. I'm taking my deli containers with the eggs out tonight.