I saw Pamphobeteus antinous (Bolivian Blue Leg Birdeater) as dried preserved specimens....

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
Is this species kept in the hobby? I looked around a few of the popular online stores and did not see any spiderlings or other for sale. I was thinking of buying the preserved specimen to place on the wall, comes framed with a small bronze plaque with Genus, Species and common name. Thought it would be neat to have the preserved specimen and be raising a sling of that species at the same time. I saw a few different Pamphobeteus species for sale just not Antinous.

If it is a restricted species then I totally understand that if they are vulnerable, threatened or endangered in their native habitat. Having a degree in Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology I am totally for conservation 100%. Even if it means my collection lacks a pretty T. As long as that species has a chance or is being managed to recover. If it is a species like P. metallica that is almost extinct in the wild due to habitat loss. I'd rather see them at least preserved in the hobby. Some aquarium fish like the Red-Tailed Black Shark (Epalzeorhynchos bicolor; syn.Labeo bicolor) are nearly extinct in the wild yet very common in the aquarium trade due to captive breeding. I also believe they have a reintroduction program going, I could be wrong on that though. I know they used to be listed as extinct in the wild and have recently been upgraded to critically endangered. Maybe they found a population alive somewhere in the rainforest, they did have a rather large range.

EDIT: anyone else find themselves editing their posts grammar mistakes? I'm really OCD about doing that LOL.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
P. antinous are indeed in the U.S. hobby, but just like any pampho slings are not cheap. I see them for sale every so often here on the boards, but I don't think I've seen them on any of the online stores. Personally I would just buy the live T instead of the preserved specimen, as I'm sure the one you saw was not cheap, if hobby prices are anything to go by. You could always preserve the T after it dies if you wanted to, I know that's what I'm going to do with my mature male and some of my true spiders, it's what I've done with all my mantis as well.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
P. antinous are indeed in the U.S. hobby, but just like any pampho slings are not cheap. I see them for sale every so often here on the boards, but I don't think I've seen them on any of the online stores. Personally I would just buy the live T instead of the preserved specimen, as I'm sure the one you saw was not cheap, if hobby prices are anything to go by. You could always preserve the T after it dies if you wanted to, I know that's what I'm going to do with my mature male and some of my true spiders, it's what I've done with all my mantis as well.
It wasn’t at $65 really. Nice frame and all but I don’t know the craftsmanship so it could be a nice preserved T in a crappy dollar store frame

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
No, that species is not in the hobby in the US.

It is here in Europe though. And is extremely pricey!

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Th actual P. antinous (Bolivia) is not in the US hobby, we have two (Big Black and Iquitos if I recall correctly) species that resembles them from Peru.

c.h.esteban

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Th actual P. antinous (Bolivia) is not in the US hobby, we have two (Big Black and Iquitos if I recall correctly) species that resembles them from Peru.
...wasn´t there a difference between Pocock´s description of P. antinous and the bulb of P. sp. IQUITOS?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
...wasn´t there a difference between Pocock´s description of P. antinous and the bulb of P. sp. IQUITOS?
Not sure, I haven't seen that description. I was going off what I read in previous threads and I remember seeing that therewas a P. cf. 'antinous' Iquitos so I just went off that

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yes, the ones in US are Pamphobeteus cf. antinous (Peru) AKA “Peruvian Steely Blue”

The ones from Bolivia (the real Pamphobeteus antinous) have hairy patella and barely any red hairs on the abdomen. Where cf. antinous lacks the setae on patella and has a fair bit of red setae on the abdomen