I saved 2 sweet millipedes

Catherine31

Arachnosquire
Hello All,
So today I went into a small exotic pet shop, and saw 2 millipedes in the most unsuitable conditions. They were in about an inch of the driest mulch I have ever seen with no moisture in sight. No soil, no leaves, no rotting wood, no moss, nothing. They were the only millipedes the store had and I immediately bought them and rushed them home. I fixed up an enclosure with everything I have in my other Millipede enclosure and sprayed the sides with water so there would be extra dampness. They immediately went to the water drops on the sides and began sucking it up. I also sprayed a piece of cork wood with water and they began sucking on that as well. These poor critters were dehydrated. I’m pretty sure, because when my daughter and I held them/ they were literally sucking on our hands. I have never seen that before.
At any rate they have acclimated nicely, one is a Florida Ivory I think and I’m pretty sure the other is a Smokey Oak. Both are pretty big and have quite a bit of girth. After drinking a lot the Smokey Oak buried herself and the Ivory has been munching on cucumber for about 45 minutes. I am very thankful that I walked into that pet store and “saved” these 2 big girls! They are gorgeous, and very sweet. I am posting some pictures of them.

Attachments

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Wow! Poor little things must think they died and went to heaven!

Catherine31

Arachnosquire
Wow! Poor little things must think they died and went to heaven!
That’s what my daughter said!! Lol Today happens to be my birthday, and I can honestly say that I did exactly what I wanted to do, I just didn’t know it when I woke up this morning!

davehuth

Arachnoknight
Thanks for being willing to make room for them and giving them a better life. That’s a really nice warm color on the Chicobolus!

Catherine31

Arachnosquire
Thanks for being willing to make room for them and giving them a better life. That’s a really nice warm color on the Chicobolus!
Thank you. I just couldn’t leave them there. I just wish I could tell how old they are.

Catherine31

Arachnosquire
They sure seem like it! I think we are going to name them Thelma and Louise. Thelma is the Smokey Oak and Louise is the Ivory. They seem quite happy-
Hi friends! Thelma and Louise are doing fantastic! They are very active and still drinking and eating a lot! They both tend to still suck on our hands and fingers, does anyone else have millipedes that do this? Just curious if they are just still dehydrated, don’t know that we aren’t food, or just if it’s just their “thing”? Doesn’t hurt of course, my daughter loves it and says that they are just giving us kisses. ❤ These 2 big girls are so sweet, will drink water out of our hands and eat cucumber from our hands too. If they start sucking on us we just spray a bit of water and then they drink it off of us. Here are some new pictures of the girls.

Attachments

Catherine31

Arachnosquire
Aw, I kind of want a millipede now! :D
I’m telling you, my 10 year old daughter and I just love them! Especially these 2 bigger ones we just acquired, because they were not in a good situation before. My daughter keeps saying she is glad we saved them. ❤ The other ones I have are much smaller but we love them just as much. Also, I use them for classroom pets for my special needs students. They love them too, but of course the kids have to be very closely monitored when handling them. You should get some- they are awesome!!

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I’ve been reading about the special substrate they need, can you buy the right mix of dead wood and leaves prepackaged?

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
I’ve been reading about the special substrate they need, can you buy the right mix of dead wood and leaves prepackaged?
Both Bugsincyberspace and Josh’s Frogs sell millipede substrate. I have not ordered either one, but both mixes should be good.