I receive T's from USPS, but online it says it is "prohibited". How do I go about shipping my T's ?

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
I see people shipping T's via USPS with cheap rates, I was wondering how I could also do that? On the website it says it isn't allowed, if I were to go through Shipyourreptiles or similar services it costs over 50 for shipping, I'm afraid I wouldn't make any sales if I had to charge such a high shipping cost.
Any advice?

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
As far as I know you aren't supposed to ship through USPS, but a lot of people do it anyways. If usps happens to open your box and find a tarantula you could get into trouble.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
What? That totally never happens. People never ship via USPS, what are you talking about?

shhh don't talk about it! ears everywhere! not safe!

In all seriousness, shipping inverts is such a pain. The only legal shipping service is Fed Ex. I know some businesses can get a deal through Fed Ex where they get discounts because they ship so frequently but not sure how that is done. It's just part of the hassle of purchasing livestock online.

Edit: After reading this, I stand corrected. I thought shipping venomous animals via Fed Ex was legal. Mind blown.

Last edited:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Technically, fedex isn’t even legal to ship tarantulas in the United States. They are the only one that will turn a blind eye and knowingly ship tarantulas though.

I have shipped and received many packages that were 2 day usps no problem. Just can’t write “tarantulas” or something on the box.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I use Fedex even though it's a little more expensive, all they can do is give you a slap on the wrist. You're breaking federal law when shipping usps and I encourage people to not use it as it draws unnecessary attention to the hobby if they happen to open a box with a spider inside. The most "legal" way to ship tarantulas is through a service called ship my/your reptile. They usually are fine with shipping tarantulas

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Not talking/discussing prices at all, I will always continue to say tat the best way for ship T's (or other venomous inverts - not exactly listed in the 'acceptable goods' to ship, little detail) is this: pack well them, ship and 'pssht! say nothing', like I did with 24 pedelings of S.subspinipes shipped with Poste Italiane (a company that doesn't even allow crickets, lol) :mooning:

Lots of people fail (pretty hard) to realize that shipping T's with FedEx isn't allowed as well. It doesn't matter that seems that "they don't care" or that "the driver knows what's inside" or other crap like that.

The only difference between USPS and FedEx is that the latter isn't an official/federal/or whatever company, but a private one
which means = breaking the 'rules' (of a private company) isn't, in front of the law of the U.S, severe like breaking a Federal one law.

Almost and I say almost no normal postal service or private courier permits the shipping of T's and other venoums inverts, if I'm wrong please prove me this with facts and links where there's clearly written that spiders and other venomous inverts can be shipped without issues :)

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
Using USPS is inadvisable. As others have noted here, USPS is a federal service and the penalties for breaking their rules can be much more severe than what you would get from a private service like UPS or FedEx.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Using USPS is inadvisable. As others have noted here, USPS is a federal service and the penalties for breaking their rules can be much more severe than what you would get from a private service like UPS or FedEx.
I’ve purchased an entire room full of tarantulas and only had a single package shipped overnight by fedex—backwater reptiles lmao. Every single order from this site and from Jamie’s tarantulas was shipped 2-3 day usps. Never had a shipping problem yet.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I’ve purchased an entire room full of tarantulas and only had a single package shipped overnight by fedex—backwater reptiles lmao. Every single order from this site and from Jamie’s tarantulas was shipped 2-3 day usps. Never had a shipping problem yet.
We never had a problem keeping Poecilotheria either but now the government has taken an interest in regulating the ownership and movement of them within the country. The public at large doesn't care if tarantulas are banned so it's up to us to be proactive and keep us off the radar.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^^there is no legal way to ship tarantulas as stated above. Unless you have expensive permits or are a zoo you are illegally sending them through any mail service.

You need to encourage no mail orders for tarantulas, or there’s no point. And the lps or guy selling at the convention got theirs through the mail “illegally”, so purchasing there is only perpetuating the cycle.

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
Cool story, bro. It's still a bad idea if you don't want to risk a federal charge.

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Technically, fedex isn’t even legal to ship tarantulas in the United States. They are the only one that will turn a blind eye and knowingly ship tarantulas though.

I have shipped and received many packages that were 2 day usps no problem. Just can’t write “tarantulas” or something on the box.
Nope, wrong. Do NOT advise or suggest illegal activity. Please refer back to our rules, where discussing or encouraging illegal activity can result in a suspension, if not outright ban.

Now with that said, here we go again. Fed-Ex and UPS are privately owned. If you ship with them without their knowledge and get caught, you are just violating their rules and could be banned from using their service in the future. Many years ago (not sure if these are still the case), when I inquired the legalities with all services, UPS told me that it is not allowed in any way. Fed-Ex told me that there is a possibility of an actual contract to be created to make it "legal". However, no contract, not allowed. Again, if caught you risk the possibility of being banned from using their service in the future. USPS is still Federal. This is considered a criminal act under Federal Law. This can mean fines, confiscation and possible jail time. Please note that confiscation can also lead to the killing of the animals. Internationally is a whole other ball game. Permits ARE required with a ton of additional paperwork, fees and risks as well.

In addition to all this, you ARE risking the hobby you are claiming to love so much. Why? Because you haven't been caught yet? You all know this is a publicly viewed forum, right? You DO know that the government IS watching, right? Why risk the hobby? You are not just hurting yourself, you are hurting other hobbyists and the animals too. Why? It's just not worth it, for what, to save a couple of bucks? If shipping is too expensive for you, then this is not the right hobby for you. Don't ship then, find and buy local.

BTW, shipping issues aside, each State has their own laws. And even certain towns, counties within each state have varying laws. It is YOUR responsibility to know them.

Remember, you do NOT have to own an animal. You DO have to adhere to the laws.

Debby

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
I'm a very paranoid person. I suppose I'll never ship T's, I'll have to just go to reptile shows a couple times a year. How else will I sell off 500+ slings.(assuming an eggsac is produced):hurting:
I don't want to get caught shipping.
I think my place in the hobby just got a lot harder. :anxious::banghead: I think I made a bad choice.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
Many years ago (not sure if these are still the case), when I inquired the legalities with all services, . . . Fed-Ex told me that there is a possibility of an actual contract to be created to make it "legal". However, no contract, not allowed.
So as an individual, you could contract? Or would you have to be a business/do a certain volume of business with them to make creating a contract worthwhile?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Nope, wrong. Do NOT advise or suggest illegal activity. Please refer back to our rules, where discussing or encouraging illegal activity can result in a suspension, if not outright ban.

Now with that said, here we go again. Fed-Ex and UPS are privately owned. If you ship with them without their knowledge and get caught, you are just violating their rules and could be banned from using their service in the future. Many years ago (not sure if these are still the case), when I inquired the legalities with all services, UPS told me that it is not allowed in any way. Fed-Ex told me that there is a possibility of an actual contract to be created to make it "legal". However, no contract, not allowed. Again, if caught you risk the possibility of being banned from using their service in the future. USPS is still Federal. This is considered a criminal act under Federal Law. This can mean fines, confiscation and possible jail time. Please note that confiscation can also lead to the killing of the animals. Internationally is a whole other ball game. Permits ARE required with a ton of additional paperwork, fees and risks as well.

In addition to all this, you ARE risking the hobby you are claiming to love so much. Why? Because you haven't been caught yet? You all know this is a publicly viewed forum, right? You DO know that the government IS watching, right? Why risk the hobby? You are not just hurting yourself, you are hurting other hobbyists and the animals too. Why? It's just not worth it, for what, to save a couple of bucks? If shipping is too expensive for you, then this is not the right hobby for you. Don't ship then, find and buy local.

BTW, shipping issues aside, each State has their own laws. And even certain towns, counties within each state have varying laws. It is YOUR responsibility to know them.

Remember, you do NOT have to own an animal. You DO have to adhere to the laws.

Debby
The only thing I want to point out of your statement (needless to say 100% right) is this. A question I have.

People keep saying that, with FedEx (and other private companies), only because we are talking about a private company, if someone is caught, that someone risk to get banned or else aka "a nothing" for my views. I've heard this a lot, here.

I don't think. Yeah, sure, probably. In general. But what if that day, I don't know... the manager of that FedEx area decide to sue that someone, no matter, claiming something like "the spider was a dangerous one" or else reasons?

They are private, but nonetheless, if they want, they can bring someone into a court, or they can't? So cash talking only, wouldn't be that good if they manage to convince the judge that "the spider was a very venomous one" combined with "spiders aren't allowed by our company".

This not even considering a goofy amateur seller that maybe doesn't pack well the spiders or the parcel is half open etc (very rare, but you never know what can happen).

Yes, no Federal law to deal with, bit of solace, but still I think that technically this risk exist, even if chances are 0.0000001%

I know that I'm talking about rare scenarios, but am I wrong? :)

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
So as an individual, you could contract? Or would you have to be a business/do a certain volume of business with them to make creating a contract worthwhile?
I can not speak for today's rules, as this was many years ago. For all I know, this may no longer even be the case. My best suggestion is to call them directly to find out.

The only thing I want to point out of your statement (needless to say 100% right) is this. A question I have.

People keep saying that, with FedEx (and other private companies), only because we are talking about a private company, if someone is caught, that someone risk to get banned or else aka "a nothing" for my views. I've heard this a lot, here.

I don't think. Yeah, sure, probably. In general. But what if that day, I don't know... the manager of that FedEx area decide to sue that someone, no matter, claiming something like "the spider was a dangerous one" or else reasons?

They are private, but nonetheless, if they want, they can bring someone into a court, or they can't? So cash talking only, wouldn't be that good if they manage to convince the judge that "the spider was a very venomous one" combined with "spiders aren't allowed by our company".

This not even considering a goofy amateur seller that maybe doesn't pack well the spiders or the parcel is half open etc (very rare, but you never know what can happen).

Yes, no Federal law to deal with, bit of solace, but still I think that technically this risk exist, even if chances are 0.0000001%

I know that I'm talking about rare scenarios, but am I wrong? :)
I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that for a lawsuit to ensue, one would have had to actually gained harm from the spider for it to even be plausible. I do not believe that one can sue simply for breaking the rules. I mean, in that case, I have a lot of older members to contact, lol. ;)

Debby

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Fed Ex is kinda "Don't ask, Don't tell" If I were going to ship, that's the method I'd use. I wouldn't worry about the high cost. The person will either pay it or they won't. Depending on what you're selling and how bad someone wants it will determine if they spend the money or not.
Now how people send stuff to me, I don't judge how they sent them to me. That's on them. I'm never going to say, "Hey ship that USPS" If they offer a shipping option, I will always choose Fed Ex. I'm not going into it any farther because I don't want to violate the rules of this board.

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
<snip>
Now how people send stuff to me, I don't judge how they sent them to me. That's on them. <snip>.
Yeah, um, just to clarify here. This is incorrect as well. The "I didn't know" card, does not work, ignorance is never an excuse. The receiver is just as guilty as the sender. Both parties are liable. You can't exactly claim that you were unaware of what was being shipped to you. ;)

Debby

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Yeah, um, just to clarify here. This is incorrect as well. The "I didn't know" card, does not work, ignorance is never an excuse. The receiver is just as guilty as the sender. Both parties are liable. You can't exactly claim that you were unaware of what was being shipped to you. ;)

Debby
I don't want to debate this due to the potential of being suspended or banned, but since the door is being opened further, where are any statistics of a consignee of any tarantula shipment via USPS ever being even charged, let alone being convicted? It would never see the inside of a courtroom if the consignee denied it and there was no evidence if the consignee approving the shipment via USPS. Rule #1, Utilize the right to remain silent, never forget it...

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
I don't want to debate this due to the potential of being suspended or banned, but since the door is being opened further, where are any statistics of a consignee of any tarantula shipment via USPS ever being even charged, let alone being convicted? It would never see the inside of a courtroom if the consignee denied it and there was no evidence if the consignee approving the shipment via USPS. Rule #1, Utilize the right to remain silent, never forget it...
First of all, I never ever suspend or ban anyone for disagreeing or debating with me. That's just absurd. If the seller can prove you paid for the animal, or if they have written proof of you agreeing for them to send you the animal, how exactly are you going to deny it? They don't need you to admit it. They just follow the evidence and proof. Yeah, sure, plead the 5th. Good luck with that, lol.

I mean that's almost like saying ... if I didn't admit that I committed murder, they can't charge me. But I was only driving the car, no one told me it was a robbery. You following the silliness of it now? ;)

Debby