I need something nasty

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Singapore Is nuts
That's wierd. Mine had the disposition of a big, urticulating hairless Aphonopelma.
Not to change the topic but NB have you even kept an adult wc Scolopendra subspinipes ssp.?
TBH

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Singapore is not biggy.

I think the poster wants a LP or a P. cancerides. Is S. calceatum as reliable of a feeder?

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Singapore is not biggy.

I think the poster wants a LP or a P. cancerides. Is S. calceatum as reliable of a feeder?

OK getting away from the "My Dad can beat up Your Dad" mentality of this thread.

I have 3 S. calceatum, all are bravely curious about anything in their enclosure. but when presented with something serious they all run to their well defined/defended hides.

As for eating, they are hearty eaters.

My girl is approaching 6", and has calmed down some.

when she was about 2.5 inches she would do vertical laps around her enclosure when I put crix in.
I saw her once leap into the air to catch a cricket before it had a chance to hit the substrate.
the word teleport is used when talking about these T's and rightly so.
They are FAST, but fun.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OK getting away from the "My Dad can beat up Your Dad" mentality of this thread.

I have 3 S. calceatum, all are bravely curious about anything in their enclosure. but when presented with something serious they all run to their well defined/defended hides.

As for eating, they are hearty eaters.

My girl is approaching 6", and has calmed down some.

when she was about 2.5 inches she would do vertical laps around her enclosure when I put crix in.
I saw her once leap into the air to catch a cricket before it had a chance to hit the substrate.
the word teleport is used when talking about these T's and rightly so.
They are FAST, but fun.
Interesting. My experience has been that they are considerably more defensive. Troll on ATS who has kept and bred everything under the sun for 30 years or something says he would never own an S. calceatum. Dave from Crazy Eights says they're the only species he really and truly doesn't like to work with. This is an enlightening bite report http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5832 I've been bitten by one once and chased out of the T room by the same culprit another time (and it was only 2-3"). I guess every spider is different but these guys don't play around in my experience.

--the nature boy

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This is a PM that I sent to a buddy a few days ago explaining my Stromatopelma a little more in depth:

As for mine...
She really truly is evil. I've got an OBT that is fiesty, but she'll try to run first. I've got a Nhandu chromatus that is not hesitant to throw up a threat pose and slap at you with her legs, but no fangs...
I've got a P. irminia that is also quite mean, but will still try to run first.

Keeping all of this in mind, my S. calceatum makes all of them look like A. hentzis. If I mist the cage, fill the water dish, bump the enclosure, whatever.... she comes flying out of her lil retreat, with her fangs out and dripping venom. Any continued perceived irritation brings immediate attempts at a bite. She's lightning fast, and runs at you, instead of away. The best way for me to describe her, is to think of a Heteroscodra maculata, and then make it the drunk angry cousin.......... same speed, venom and temper, but it'll just come straight for you instead of trying to run first.

She's evil, beautiful, and I love her.

That may or may not give any more insight into this species.

Ph4nToM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my g.aureo is a monster. i bought her as a sling thinking she would be docile and a spider i could handle but mine strikes at water i drip into her cage and goes auto defensive stance whenever something touches her.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my g.aureo is a monster. i bought her as a sling thinking she would be docile and a spider i could handle but mine strikes at water i drip into her cage and goes auto defensive stance whenever something touches her.
Is this a joke? You're talking about not only one of the most docile spiders known to man but an entire genus that's that way. Man, every spider and its brother slaps at water drops. The theory is that the vibrations remind them of prey. "Defensive stance when something touches her"? Have any footage of this? Just because she's raising her pedipalps a bit doesn't mean she's giving a threat display. Nobody likes to be poked at. How exactly are you touching her? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but your statement is WAY out there...

--the nature boy

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can't get a defensive posture out of my G aureo even when I blast her in the face with an air horn.

Johnnyj

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
heh

Well, I have no experience with more advanced T's. Just my little G. Rosea and A. Avic. However, my rosea will easily throw threat poses simply by a light touch with an paintbrush. She was the one pictured in that photo with the magazine page of Katherine Mcphee awhile back. When I get my camera back, I'll make a short film. I swear to god, she thinks shes OBT wearing a rosie costume.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I have no experience with more advanced T's. Just my little G. Rosea and A. Avic. However, my rosea will easily throw threat poses simply by a light touch with an paintbrush. She was the one pictured in that photo with the magazine page of Katherine Mcphee awhile back. When I get my camera back, I'll make a short film. I swear to god, she thinks shes OBT wearing a rosie costume.
I have heard of psycho rosies. I'll buy that.

--the nature boy