I need help with scale rot

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
I think my bp is showing early signs of scale rot. I have had this problem once before but, I didn't know how to solve it and now my bp is showing signs. The first snake was on me I'll admit that but the bp is the pet stores fault, it was showing signs when I got it. Anyway, I wanted to know how to solve it, I heard giving iodine baths work but I don't know how to give them an iodine bath.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Referring to the bacterial infection. There are topical antibiotics that specifically target the usual organisms, I think a triple combo. Also giving baths with 1% povidone iodine (Betadyne). Like any infection, it won't go away immediately. Persistence and diligence.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
The infection is getting worse and I still don't know how to give my bp an iodine bath. Please help me.
Take it to a vet.. Scale rot often turns septic and will quickly kill your snake. No amount of iodine or silver sulferdiazene is going to heal it with out antibiotics.. It's a secondary infection caused by bacteria from improper humidity and a dirty environment. Fix your set up and see a vet..

Redmont

The collector
I agree taking it to a reptile vet is the best idea, also to get some better help with reptiles you could try posting on repticzone or a ball python forum

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
If you are able to consult a vet etc. let us know how your pet is doing when you can... hope it pulls through

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
Sadly, i haven't been able to see a vet yet. But, I bought Zoo Med Repti Wound-Healing Aid. I hope this helps him. I have treated him for 2 days now, if I don't see improvement within a week I will try to see a vet. Also he is going into shed. Maybe this will help?

The Snark

Old Timer
With topical bacterial infections it commonly takes 3 to 5 days to see some sign of improvement. If no improvement noted in 10 days you would normally add an additional bactericide. If a fungal infection is involved, it usually takes 6 weeks to see a noted improvement and usually 2 to 6 months to eradicate.

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
With topical bacterial infections it commonly takes 3 to 5 days to see some sign of improvement. If no improvement noted in 10 days you would normally add an additional bactericide. If a fungal infection is involved, it usually takes 6 weeks to see a noted improvement and usually 2 to 6 months to eradicate.
Okay, so do you think what I'm using will do any good?

The Snark

Old Timer
I don't know reptile physiology only wound treatment. Also don't know Zoo Med treatment but in all likelihood it's a reptilian equivalent of Neosporin. Over the counter ABs are normally broad spectrum but rather weak antibiotics.

To give you some idea of fully effective wound cleaning as skin infections, in the ER were debrid with a full five minutes vigorously scrubbing the infection and the entire wound with a stiff bristle brush and povidone iodine as Betadyne antiseptic. This clinical standard will prove 95%+ effective. So just smearing topical antiseptics on are very unlikely to eradicate a malignant infection.

If the infection has gone subdermal, or the topical cannot reach all infected cells, quite possible, you will need to get an antibiotic course into the critter.

Johnny Q

Arachnopeon
One of my Bp's had scale rot after she managed to flip her water dish and soil her cage while I was away for a few days. I was able to cure her but it took some work.
Step 1 Quarantine any sick animal! you don't want it rubbing bacteria on your other bp's
Step 2 clean the cage with alcohol or white viniger to kill any bacteria and allow plenty of time for vapors to dissipate
Step 3 simplify the inclosure. all they need is a hide and paper towel for substraight. this will make it quick and easy to clean the cage which you will want to do often.
Step 4 if it has an under the tank heater turn it off or remove it entirely.
Step 5 remove its water dish. yes I know that sounds crazy but it is necessary to lower the humidity and keep them dry.
if you live in a humid area you may need to make a custom lid to get the enclosure dry. Below 60% should do.
Since you removed the water you will have to provide your snake with water once or twice a day, at a sink or tub (patience is key). Dry your snake before replacing it.
Step 6 use q-tips to apply an iodine solution directly to the areas of scale rot

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
So here's a quik little update. My ball python recently shed and the scale rot seems to be gone. I will keep a close eye on him though to make sure it stays that way.