I need a new new world!

Dorifto

He who moists xD
You have the most beautiful enclosures I've ever seen :astonished:
Thanks!!! They are very easy to keep, and very cheap to make. Get some driftwood, sterilize it in in the oven, put tome easy to keep plants and add some biomass, like springtails and isopods et voila!

ohnono

Arachnopeon
Thanks!!! They are very easy to keep, and very cheap to make. Get some driftwood, sterilize it in in the oven, put tome easy to keep plants and add some biomass, like springtails and isopods et voila!
I keep my Ts in the darkest room in my home and plants kinda hate it :D so you know... I use fake plants. And I hate it. My home is otherwise a jungle - I believe I have more than 100 house plants plus cca 50 cacti, all my aquariums are heavily planted and I used to claim I'll NEVEREVER use anything fake around my pets but... yeah... Poor succulent in my profile picture lasted for couple of weeks before it gave up and even Hedera helix died in less than a month... :(

But we are off topic :angelic:

OP! Caribena Versicolor! Run! :D

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Theraphosa was my orginal plan but my fellow keepers told me they were harder to keep as they were sensitive to humidity and temperature. Two of my friends had bad molts on their blondi last month. I don’t want to be the next victim
I wouldn't really say that. I've heard that WC specimen are more 'difficult' and read on an old thread that WC individuals require a high humidity level, but CB ones do just fine.

Here's a nice 'Theraphosa care/information' post that @Nightstalker47 wrote up if you do choose to go with them:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/theraphosa-care-and-info.303033/

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Let me think...uh....A. geniculata, A. geniculata, or maybe A. geniculata. I hope this is helpful.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I keep my Ts in the darkest room in my home and plants kinda hate it :D so you know... I use fake plants. And I hate it. My home is otherwise a jungle - I believe I have more than 100 house plants plus cca 50 cacti, all my aquariums are heavily planted and I used to claim I'll NEVEREVER use anything fake around my pets but... yeah... Poor succulent in my profile picture lasted for couple of weeks before it gave up and even Hedera helix died in less than a month... :(

But we are off topic :angelic:

OP! Caribena Versicolor! Run! :D
A dimmable led strip? It can be found very cheap on aliexpress, and they give plenty of light for the plants.

You can use the same strip for all enclosures, stands... etc.

ohnono

Arachnopeon
A dimmable led strip? It can be found very cheap on aliexpress, and they give plenty of light for the plants.

You can use the same strip for all enclosures, stands... etc.
Hmmm... ok. I'll tell you the truth. I could do it and I know how to (there are decades of keeping planted and reef aquariums under my belt) but I simply don't want to put lights in there. :p It would be gorgeous, yes, and Ts look amazing under lights, but I just don't want to do it because (I don't have a solid scientific argument to back me up but I am deeply convinced :rofl:) my babies are happier without it. :angelic: I'm soft. It's hormones. This morning I cried because my C.versicolor ran away from me. :bigtears:

let's please stop being offtopic, I'm afraid of mods

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
The geniculata is molting this week. After molting they have a beatyful colors.

Last week:

View attachment 289055
Those are nice looking enclosures, but there's far too much height and all the vertically placed wood needs to go, just encourages climbing and heightens the odds of a fall. Would work fine for an arboreal, but with terrestrials you want to keep height at a minimum.
I wouldn't really say that. I've heard that WC specimen are more 'difficult' and read on an old thread that WC individuals require a high humidity level, but CB ones do just fine.

Here's a nice 'Theraphosa care/information' post that @Nightstalker47 wrote up if you do choose to go with them:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/theraphosa-care-and-info.303033/
WC specimens are just as hardy, care would be the exact same.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Got it, just read that WC are more susceptible to drops in humidity (Stan schultz has said that in an old thread), but I was a bit skeptical. Thanks for the correction

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Got it, just read that WC are more susceptible to drops in humidity (Stan schultz has said that in an old thread), but I was a bit skeptical. Thanks for the correction
Yeah, unfortunately Stan has been off on many things Theraphosa related...that's where the whole "swamp dweller" myth started, famously written in the TKG. Just some misinformation that he must have unwittingly passed on, can happen to the best of us.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
More Ts, more fun. Until you notice you got no more space available. :astonished::eek:
This is just literally not a thing :p

Space is not a problem (yet). Maybe if I have too many then I’ll have excuse for selling my furniture :smug:
The only furniture you need are shelves for Ts :D

What species of plants do you use? I am terrible with indoor plants but really want to do some planted tanks!

(Also, sterilizing natural wood isn't necessary).

cold blood

Staff member
G. pulchra or A. geniculata both fit your description. You want this beast in your life:
View attachment 289041
Pulchra does NOT fit the op's description. He specifically wanted something large, 7"...pulchra isn't a giant t....
C. versicolor. They are gorgeous.
They are, but they also no not fit the criteria put out by the op.
That’s a fat girl. What sp is that? If I were to go pampho I would be choosing between platyomma and machalla as those two are the only ones for sale in my area
Pamphs are splendid, get one, the species doesn't really matter, they are all fantastic.

All true but sooo worth the wait

I say go big with a t.seladonia i know i want a dozen!
1. this species doesn't fit the ops parameters...its a dwarf, so not large like the op wants...its also a super reclusive trapdoor species...terrible for a display specimen.

2. On top of that, according to the Brazilian gov't, this species has never ever been legally exported, meaning literally every single one in the hobby is an illegal specimen...not something i would go out of my way to procure.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Those are nice looking enclosures, but there's far too much height and all the vertically placed wood needs to go, just encourages climbing and heightens the odds of a fall. Would work fine for an arboreal, but with terrestrials you want to keep height at a minimum.

I prefer to give them the choige to explore instead of being in a flat enclosure. Since they are in these enclosures they are always visibles, wandering all the enclosure looking for preys or basking spots.
What species of plants do you use? I am terrible with indoor plants but really want to do some planted tanks!

(Also, sterilizing natural wood isn't necessary).
Mostly Chamaedorea elegans, because they are strong and native to tarantula's habitat, some natural moss and Hedera Helix.

Regarding to the thread, the Pulchra is not that "big" but they are chunky and sturdy, and most important, beautiful.

I think the best one who is going to suit you is the Geniculata

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I prefer to give them the choige to explore instead of being in a flat enclosure.
It doesn't have to be completely flat, my enclosures all have some uneven areas as the spiders tend to bulldoze a bit. The excessive height is what you need to avoid, keep it at 1.5 times your tarantulas DLS. With your current setup one fall from the top can kill your T...we have seen this time and time again.
Since they are in these enclosures they are always visibles, wandering all the enclosure looking for preys or basking spots.
A.geniculata never hides, so yeah thats completely normal...basking spots lol, these are tarantulas not reptiles. You are very misinformed, this happens all too often and the T always pays the price...I seriously hope you reconsider and make it a safer home.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I have a lot of words confusions, a place to stay? :rofl:

I was speaking of both, pulchra and geni. I know that the genis are very visible tarantulas, but my pulchra was very reclusive.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Pulchra does NOT fit the op's description. He specifically wanted something large, 7"...pulchra isn't a giant t....
Females can hit 7 inches. I saw Anastasia's (Net-Bug) female when I delivered my MM pulchra to her at the Hamburg, PA show last year, and it was about that big.