1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new new world!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by BrokenLegBaboon, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Dorifto

Dorifto Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Thanks!!! They are very easy to keep, and very cheap to make. Get some driftwood, sterilize it in in the oven, put tome easy to keep plants and add some biomass, like springtails and isopods et voila!

2. ohnono

ohnono Arachnopeon

europe
    I keep my Ts in the darkest room in my home and plants kinda hate it :D so you know... I use fake plants. And I hate it. My home is otherwise a jungle - I believe I have more than 100 house plants plus cca 50 cacti, all my aquariums are heavily planted and I used to claim I'll NEVEREVER use anything fake around my pets but... yeah... Poor succulent in my profile picture lasted for couple of weeks before it gave up and even Hedera helix died in less than a month... :(

But we are off topic :angelic:

OP! Caribena Versicolor! Run! :D

3. antinous

antinous Phormic-Addict Arachnosupporter

I wouldn't really say that. I've heard that WC specimen are more 'difficult' and read on an old thread that WC individuals require a high humidity level, but CB ones do just fine.

Here's a nice 'Theraphosa care/information' post that @Nightstalker47 wrote up if you do choose to go with them:
    http://arachnoboards.com/threads/theraphosa-care-and-info.303033/

4. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnobaron Active Member

Let me think...uh....A. geniculata, A. geniculata, or maybe A. geniculata. I hope this is helpful.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Dorifto

Dorifto Arachnopeon

A dimmable led strip? It can be found very cheap on aliexpress, and they give plenty of light for the plants.

You can use the same strip for all enclosures, stands... etc.

6. ohnono

ohnono Arachnopeon

europe
    Hmmm... ok. I'll tell you the truth. I could do it and I know how to (there are decades of keeping planted and reef aquariums under my belt) but I simply don't want to put lights in there. :p It would be gorgeous, yes, and Ts look amazing under lights, but I just don't want to do it because (I don't have a solid scientific argument to back me up but I am deeply convinced :hilarious:) my babies are happier without it. :angelic: I'm soft. It's hormones. This morning I cried because my C.versicolor ran away from me. :bigtears:

let's please stop being offtopic, I'm afraid of mods

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  7. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

Those are nice looking enclosures, but there's far too much height and all the vertically placed wood needs to go, just encourages climbing and heightens the odds of a fall. Would work fine for an arboreal, but with terrestrials you want to keep height at a minimum.
    WC specimens are just as hardy, care would be the exact same.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. antinous

antinous Phormic-Addict Arachnosupporter

Got it, just read that WC are more susceptible to drops in humidity (Stan schultz has said that in an old thread), but I was a bit skeptical. Thanks for the correction

9. Nightstalker47

Yeah, unfortunately Stan has been off on many things Theraphosa related...that's where the whole "swamp dweller" myth started, famously written in the TKG. Just some misinformation that he must have unwittingly passed on, can happen to the best of us.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

This is just literally not a thing :p

The only furniture you need are shelves for Ts :D

What species of plants do you use? I am terrible with indoor plants but really want to do some planted tanks!

(Also, sterilizing natural wood isn't necessary).

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. weibkreux

weibkreux Arachnoknight Active Member

Who needs space when you have more Ts? :woot:

12. ohnono

ohnono Arachnopeon

europe
    Fact. :smug:

13. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Pulchra does NOT fit the op's description. He specifically wanted something large, 7"...pulchra isn't a giant t....
    They are, but they also no not fit the criteria put out by the op.
    Pamphs are splendid, get one, the species doesn't really matter, they are all fantastic.

1. this species doesn't fit the ops parameters...its a dwarf, so not large like the op wants...its also a super reclusive trapdoor species...terrible for a display specimen.

2. On top of that, according to the Brazilian gov't, this species has never ever been legally exported, meaning literally every single one in the hobby is an illegal specimen...not something i would go out of my way to procure.

• Award Award x 1
  14. weibkreux

weibkreux Arachnoknight Active Member

They are indeed beautiful, would love to have one in the future. Availability is the only issue.

15. Dorifto

Dorifto Arachnopeon

I prefer to give them the choige to explore instead of being in a flat enclosure. Since they are in these enclosures they are always visibles, wandering all the enclosure looking for preys or basking spots.
    Mostly Chamaedorea elegans, because they are strong and native to tarantula's habitat, some natural moss and Hedera Helix.

Regarding to the thread, the Pulchra is not that "big" but they are chunky and sturdy, and most important, beautiful.

I think the best one who is going to suit you is the Geniculata

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nightstalker47

It doesn't have to be completely flat, my enclosures all have some uneven areas as the spiders tend to bulldoze a bit. The excessive height is what you need to avoid, keep it at 1.5 times your tarantulas DLS. With your current setup one fall from the top can kill your T...we have seen this time and time again.
    A.geniculata never hides, so yeah thats completely normal...basking spots lol, these are tarantulas not reptiles. You are very misinformed, this happens all too often and the T always pays the price...I seriously hope you reconsider and make it a safer home.

17. Dorifto

Dorifto Arachnopeon

I have a lot of words confusions, a place to stay? :hilarious:

I was speaking of both, pulchra and geni. I know that the genis are very visible tarantulas, but my pulchra was very reclusive.

18. Teal

Teal Arachnoking Active Member

Exactly! What else do you need space for?!

:D

They aren't native to my Ts' natural habitats LOL

I do like Hedera helix and other ivy!

19. starnaito

starnaito Arachnosquire

PA
    They do get up to 7", maybe even 8" in some cases... No need to be hostile.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Maryland
    Females can hit 7 inches. I saw Anastasia's (Net-Bug) female when I delivered my MM pulchra to her at the Hamburg, PA show last year, and it was about that big.

• Dislike Dislike x 1