I messed up...

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I don't have mealworms will a cricket work?
Not really familiar with the method but guessing so. I might try and take one leg off the cricket so it isn't powerful enough to get off the string. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this...

fullmetalcommunist

Arachnopeon
God ahsifkrbe it is impossible to tie a cricket up. First one struggled and cut itself in half trying to jump out of the thread and the second one I took its big legs off and it was so debilitated it couldn't move close enough to him on the thread. So I took the thread off, threw it in there and heard him catch him about 10 seconds later. Seems he isn't keen on hunting right now and only catches the crickets if they get close enough to touch him. Poor baby ☹☹☹ maybe now that he's gotten some food he will be adventerous enough to try coming out for some water. It looks like he hasn't left the fridge since I lost him, he's so shriveled up and dehydrated

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
God ahsifkrbe it is impossible to tie a cricket up. First one struggled and cut itself in half trying to jump out of the thread and the second one I took its big legs off and it was so debilitated it couldn't move close enough to him on the thread. So I took the thread off, threw it in there and heard him catch him about 10 seconds later. Seems he isn't keen on hunting right now and only catches the crickets if they get close enough to touch him. Poor baby ☹☹☹ maybe now that he's gotten some food he will be adventerous enough to try coming out for some water. It looks like he hasn't left the fridge since I lost him, he's so shriveled up and dehydrated
If you try the cricket again maybe you could try it like a fishing hook. You could poke a needle through and then tie the sting after cutting the needle off. This is just a guess, don't know if this idea would kill the cricket. Hopefully not if it's poked through at a good spot.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Lol, what was the drain spider?
I'll have to see if I can dig up the thread (or if someone is kind enough to post it themselves :angelic:), but basically one of the members on here lost one of their slings many moons ago and found it residing in their bathroom shower drain. After many failed attempts to lure it out, they eventually managed to get it out by literally fishing for it with a superworm tied to a string. There's also a video she recorded of it when she finally got it out

I don't have mealworms will a cricket work?
Crickets should be alright. It might be more difficult though, since they can do more than just squirm about aimlessly

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
I'll have to see if I can dig up the thread (or if someone is kind enough to post it themselves :angelic:), but basically one of the members on here lost one of their slings many moons ago and found it residing in their bathroom shower drain. After many failed attempts to lure it out, they eventually managed to get it out by literally fishing for it with a superworm tied to a string. There's also a video she recorded of it when she finally got it out
That was smart thinking. I'm going to try and remember that. Might come in handy ;).

fullmetalcommunist

Arachnopeon
20181005_174201.jpg WELL WELL WELL, LOOK WHO DECIDED TO SHOW UP. FANCY SEEING YOU HERE MR SPIDER... WE MEET AGAIN

omg I can't believe the fishing trick actually worked. He fell for it twice, first time struck, realized there was a thread attached, got spooked and ran under the fridge. Kept the same bait out and he creeped back out to get it and I caught him! Now, I don't know how to get him from the catch cup into his terrarium, he's SUPREMELY upset right now and even when he's kinda chill he's still a runner and WAY faster than me

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Glad you were able to round it up, I think the hard part is over. Can you sit the catch cup inside the enclosure?

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
When all else fails, gently add an empty toilet paper roll into the catch cup. He should go inside it fairly quickly if you leave it somewhere well lit. After that, very carefully transfer the toilet paper roll into his enclosure and he'll make his way out of it in his own time.
If you think that is still too risky, see if you can attempt a transfer out in the open somewhere so that if he bolts, you can catch him again before he has a chance to hold up somewhere.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
View attachment 288584 WELL WELL WELL, LOOK WHO DECIDED TO SHOW UP. FANCY SEEING YOU HERE MR SPIDER... WE MEET AGAIN

omg I can't believe the fishing trick actually worked. He fell for it twice, first time struck, realized there was a thread attached, got spooked and ran under the fridge. Kept the same bait out and he creeped back out to get it and I caught him! Now, I don't know how to get him from the catch cup into his terrarium, he's SUPREMELY upset right now and even when he's kinda chill he's still a runner and WAY faster than me
So glad you found it! The spider fishing method triumphs again!

As for the transfer back into it's normal home: do it in your bathroom, preferably in your bathtub if you have one. Take it slow, don't panic, and you should be alright. Use a straw, paintbrush, or anything similar to carefully coax it into it's home. If it startles you in any way and you get nervous, don't be afraid to leave it in the catch cup for a bit so you can calm down and try again

fullmetalcommunist

Arachnopeon
I thought it might be beneficial to wait a while for him to calm down (and for me to get some sleep, darn) before I try to move him. He was skittish before but now he's like, REALLY skittish. Before he escaped he was kind of a fraidy cat anyways but never scurried more than a few inches. Over the course of a day trying to chase him down he was so threatened that he's run 6 ft just from me having the catch cup a foot from him and not even trying yet. When I got him he had just struck at the mealworm but once I put the cup over him he FREAKED out, started jumping around stomping his feet and striking at air. I've NEVER seen him act like that, hence why I'm being so timid about this. He doesn't seem to have mites, I think he's just scared and irritable from being in dust bunny central for so long. If the catch cup is just sitting over him (I have a book on top of it so he can't knock it over) do I have to worry about ventilation for the rest of the night? Or should he be fine? I'm a little worried I'll suffocate him by leaving him there but I have no idea if that fear is founded in reality or not.

Literally if any one of my other Ts got out and it would be a 30 second ordeal. They are all CALM. I spite all the people who told me GBB was a beginner T, he has NEVER kicked hairs, NEVER striked at me, and was ALWAYS non aggressive until this moment...... BUT he was ALWAYS flighty and prone to bolting and that's what I'm dealing with now. Honestly I'd rather he was aggressive than this much of running away from anything and everything. Obviously I love him, but man pets can be a pain in your fanny sometimes. I hope he is less agitated in the morning, and honestly I am still very sleep deprived despite taking a nap after I got him. I think I ought to deal with this in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I thought it might be beneficial to wait a while for him to calm down (and for me to get some sleep, darn) before I try to move him. He was skittish before but now he's like, REALLY skittish. Before he escaped he was kind of a fraidy cat anyways but never scurried more than a few inches. Over the course of a day trying to chase him down he was so threatened that he's run 6 ft just from me having the catch cup a foot from him and not even trying yet. When I got him he had just struck at the mealworm but once I put the cup over him he FREAKED out, started jumping around stomping his feet and striking at air. I've NEVER seen him act like that, hence why I'm being so timid about this. He doesn't seem to have mites, I think he's just scared and irritable from being in dust bunny central for so long. If the catch cup is just sitting over him (I have a book on top of it so he can't knock it over) do I have to worry about ventilation for the rest of the night? Or should he be fine? I'm a little worried I'll suffocate him by leaving him there but I have no idea if that fear is founded in reality or not.
Literally if any one of my other Ts got out and it would be a 30 second ordeal. They are all CALM. I spite all the people who told me GBB was a beginner T, he has NEVER kicked hairs, NEVER striked at me, and was ALWAYS non aggressive until this moment...... BUT he was ALWAYS flighty and prone to bolting and that's what I'm dealing with now. Honestly I'd rather he was aggressive than this much of PUSS running away from anything and everything. Obviously I love him, but man pets can be a pain in your fanny sometimes. I hope he is less agitated in the morning, and honestly I am still very sleep deprived despite taking a nap after I got him. I think I ought to deal with this in the morning.
As long as you're 100% certain that he can't get back out from the catch cup, he'll be perfectly fine there overnight. He won't suffocate. If the catch cup has a lid, it would be much more preferable to use that instead of a book, but it's not completely necessary as long as he's secure. I think you deserve a rest and can deal with it in the morning. Go get some sleep! :)

fullmetalcommunist

Arachnopeon
E
As long as you're 100% certain that he can't get back out from the catch cup, he'll be perfectly fine there overnight. He won't suffocate. If the catch cup has a lid, it would be much more preferable to use that instead of a book, but it's not completely necessary as long as he's secure. I think you deserve a rest and can deal with it in the morning. Go get some sleep! :)
Oh yeah, it's his catch cup on top of a book underneath another terrarium which is upside down working as double catch cup. This fjsisofnbrvsic isn't getting away from me in my sleep that's for sure lol

WildSpider

Arachnobaron
Yay! Glad you caught him! Just curious, what bait ended up working for you at the end?

Have a good rest. You deserve it!

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
You can always just set the catch cup inside the enclosure and let him make his way out on his own time if he's a little too bolty for you to comfortably coax him out. You could just set the cup in there, close the lid, and poke something through an air hole to tip over the cup, then fish out the cup at a later date. (Or just let it web up the cup, this is a GBB we're talking about, right?)

fullmetalcommunist

Arachnopeon
He's back in! And seems to be way calmer. I put the cup in the enclosure and waited for him to calm down before taking it out. I don't see any visible mites but how would I go about making sure he is clean and healthy, now that he's back? He's itching a lot but that might just be from the dust.