I messed up...

fullmetalcommunist

Arachnopeon
So... literally TODAY I moved across the country for school/work, moved in to my new apartment. I remember asking them about pet policy when I was looking, I remember them saying there was a deposit for dog and cat but other animals are fine. HOWEVER now I'm freaking out cuz I had an incident (keep reading) and I double checked my lease and it says no pets whatsoever (even SPECIFIED insects) w/o written approval. So, I don't have written approval, and to be completely frank, I know I asked property managers about the tank pets thing but I am 2nd guessing whether I actually asked this place or if I confused it with another one. Now to get to the bad part.

My GBB escaped. Before we left I handed my dad who was helping me move the tank and when I double checked on my critters after the top screening had been damaged somehow, idk what happened. So we were on a schedule and I didn't have time to go buy a tank and rehouse him right there cuz it was like 5 AM so i sat in the car holding the tank w a book over the top till we get there. As soon as I get in town I went out and bought a new enclosure to transfer him. I get to my new apartment, and shbvtukvftkl I should have been more patient and not rushed her to rehome, she was obviously stressed from the car ride and the gal is already skittish and she spooked. I hecking (ugh, is profanity allowed ) saw her run and I wasn't fast enough and she climbed behind my fridge. Blocked off doors and crevices as much as I could (which was frantic and haphazard because I hadn't unpacked yet), pulled the fridge back, she's not behind it or underneath it, I figure she crawled up inside it. I set up some water and substrate in her old enclosure with webbing and everything and set it on the ground. I'm praying my baby comes back. I know there's not much I can do except look for her and watch my feet while I'm walking.

Now I need advice. I'm extremely worried my baby is going to find a crack or crevice and make a visit one of my new neighbors. First of all I want to confirm or revise what I believe is accurate from my research: that a GBB bite is unpleasant, significant swelling and maybe some cramping, possible nausea... but not usually especially toxic to humans as long as there isn't an allergy/sensitivity. Would probably make a cat or small child sick but I never had to think about that till now so I didn't really research it. I have heard their hairs are generally worse than their bite. If I find Anansi on my own I'm not worried about her hurting me, I've never been bit by a tarantula but I would gladly take it just to see her home safe. She is not aggressive at all, just quite skittish (sometimes she will flinch and run from crickets before she realizes they are food and goes in). I am worried about her wandering into someone else's home. I know everyone says they don't go far when they escape, but at the same time I'm not doubting her at all ever again after this and I figure if she wanted to she could absolutely find some cracks in the wall to go exploring further. She JUST molted to adult colors like a week ago and is still only maybe 2.5 in end to end. I am worried about a lot of things but mainly

A. I could be totally wrong about how toxic he is. I did research and read bite reports on GBB before this happened and the bite reports seemed pretty mild. But for the neighbor kid or cat or somebody with allergies older ppl etc. it could be quite bad and I don't want anyone to get hurt.
2. I don't want her to get sprayed by my apartment or hurt at all in general.
3. I'm also not tryna get evicted

I don't know what to do. I'm really hoping she comes back. Advice is appreciated. I feel so bad

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Based upon the little that we know -- unless someone ended bitten, the others are forced to rely on bite reports, obviously -- C.cyaneopubescens venom is nothing serious for an healthy man/woman. I suppose (and I say 'suppose') no big deal even for a dog (let alone bulky strong dog breeds, like Pitbull etc).

As far cats, keep in mind that those lovely predators are, on the other hand, authentic bonafide Ninja, therefore when a 'Cat VS Spider' scenario happens, 99% of the time is the bugger the one that ends very, very bad -- even if a lot of cats owners always fail to realize this.

Older people; People that aren't so healthy; Toddlers etc are always a case 'per se' and to 'generalize' unfortunately isn't possible, still, the spider's venom potency in question, as we said, isn't dangerous. Granted, venom/s (of all kinds) and little childrens doesn't and never mix.

I hope that you will find your 'GBB', it's only an annoying, epic stressful, matter of 'search, search, search' and pure finest 'luck'. There isn't insider tricks to share, or else.

Anyway, thinking about a crappy scenario, IMO chances is that your spider will die somehow somewhat in a dark crevice rather than enter into one of your neighbours home.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn’t worry about a bite from a GBB, if it was a Stromatopelma or something then you could worry lol

Keep laying out water and webbing, I’ve heard of more than a few people who have had their Ts come out for water in the night and been retrieved. As far as the permission for pets you can either admit to them what you have and ask for the written consent or just not mention it. I would tell them but it’s up to you

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I hate to be "that person", but you shouldn't have even gone that distance leaving the tarantulas in their enclosures in the first place. You should have packed them up in small cups like you were shipping them, then eventually put them back in their regular homes when you were all settled in. I feel like this entire situation may have been avoided had you done that. But that's about all I'm going to criticize because mistakes happen and I absolutely understand how stressful and upsetting it is to lose a T.

When I was extremely fresh in the hobby, I made the mistake of doubting my LP sling's ability to climb and left the lid open a smidge while I went to work. As you can imagine, I came home to no LP in the enclosure. At that point, I had all my pets on an old bookcase (including a fish tank on the very bottom). Coincidentally, I thought my tank may have been leaking, so I had a large towel on the ground right underneath the bookcase. After double checking the enclosure and finally setting to work to look in my room to try and find it, the first thing I did was lift the towel so I could get closer to the bookcase. The LP was carefully tucked away under the towel. So I don't know if it's really a good idea or not, but perhaps lay down a few towels (so that there's folds and creases all over, not completely flat) near the fridge and other places you think it might go?

Rest assured that it's unlikely for an allergic reaction to occur, because my understanding is that allergic reactions to T bites would likely happen only if the person has been bitten before. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember reading in a previous thread.

Regardless, I wish you luck finding your T

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
When my B. smithi escaped I found him under a pair of cargo pants that were under my bed, he'd travelled all of 2m in the space of 36hrs.
So maybe the key to finding lost tarantulas is any type of clothing/fabric/etc casually tossed on the floor

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Thats where I always find giant house spiders!
So maybe there's more to this theory than originally thought! So I'd say it's at least worth a shot using a towel or clothes or something to lure the GBB into

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
I had heard of a tale where the keeper put a heat pad in a pile of towels/clothes then cranked the AC down low (although I would hope 65ish was the lowest). Supposedly it worked. Have a friend who said that when his old T. blondi got out it was in the closet hanging on a shirt. There was another one where someone found a molt of their escaped H. maculata I believe, inside of a towel. So it would appear anyways that clothes/fabrics have some sort of appeal when it comes to escapees.

Anyways, good luck with your search OP. Hopefully you have some good news later.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My biggest concern would be exposure to pesticides in the apartment. I can almost guarantee you they spray for "bugs"

I would not be concerned about a bite... that is an incredibly unlikely situation to happen, and if it does it wouldn't be any cause for major concern.

My recommendation is to go around your house in the middle of the night with a flashlight to see if she is wandering around.

I hate to be "that person", but you shouldn't have even gone that distance leaving the tarantulas in their enclosures in the first place. You should have packed them up in small cups like you were shipping them, then eventually put them back in their regular homes when you were all settled in. I feel like this entire situation may have been avoided had you done that. But that's about all I'm going to criticize because mistakes happen and I absolutely understand how stressful and upsetting it is to lose a T.
And I will be "that person" who says, as a nomad that has moved dozens of times across hundreds of miles with a collection of Ts, that I ALWAYS transport them in their enclosures and have NEVER packed them for shipping. While I have seen that theory advised over the years, I have never found it necessary.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
And I will be "that person" who says, as a nomad that has moved dozens of times across hundreds of miles with a collection of Ts, that I ALWAYS transport them in their enclosures and have NEVER packed them for shipping. While I have seen that theory advised over the years, I have never found it necessary.
To each their own I suppose. I obviously can't stop you from doing that, I just don't think it's a good idea. There's too much unnecessary risk involved in my opinion. In this instance, the lid was broken and there was risk for the T escaping in the car or even getting injured on the damaged lid. In other instances, there's risk for the tarantula climbing and falling on any decor or hides in the enclosure. In the case of burrowers, there's risk of the decor/hide collapsing the burrow and also injuring them. If they're packed away in a smaller temporary enclosure for transport, any damage to the normal enclosure or setup is irrelevant because the T isn't in it and is therefore safe.

That's just my take on it anyway

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
To each their own I suppose. I obviously can't stop you from doing that, I just don't think it's a good idea. There's too much unnecessary risk involved in my opinion. In this instance, the lid was broken and there was risk for the T escaping in the car or even getting injured on the damaged lid. In other instances, there's risk for the tarantula climbing and falling on any decor or hides in the enclosure. In the case of burrowers, there's risk of the decor/hide collapsing the burrow and also injuring them. If they're packed away in a smaller temporary enclosure for transport, any damage to the normal enclosure or setup is irrelevant because the T isn't in it and is therefore safe.

That's just my take on it anyway
I respect your position and the possible issues you propose are certainly valid! I just wanted to represent the "other side" and say that transporting Ts in their enclosures is not a 100% guarantee that something will go wrong. I do tape my enclosures shut and often seatbelt them in too lol

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I respect your position and the possible issues you propose are certainly valid! I just wanted to represent the "other side" and say that transporting Ts in their enclosures is not a 100% guarantee that something will go wrong. I do tape my enclosures shut and often seatbelt them in too lol
If you get into an accident, or even slam on the brakes too hard...things will get ugly. Its the safer way of transporting them through long distances, comparable to driving around without a seat belt...doesn't necessarily mean your in immediate danger, but could definitely save you if something goes wrong.

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
So I don't know if it's really a good idea or not, but perhaps lay down a few towels (so that there's folds and creases all over, not completely flat) near the fridge and other places you think it might go?
This might actually be a pretty good idea. We had a native Tarantula hide in our towel basket once and give my mother in law a serious spook! It may just be coincidence, but there may be something to it.

Best luck.

Krystal Anne

Arachnosquire
I agree with the small container/packaging method for travel, too. I might be misunderstanding OP, but he said he moved across the country, which definitely is long distance, and they drove...? So isn't that like a couple of days' drive? I don't know if I understood the story correctly but I definitely would agree that it would be much safer to transport them in smaller containers next time.

OP, hope you find your T! Good luck.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
You're definitely right that it's not 100% garaunteed that something would go wrong. And I suppose anything could happen in the transport cups too. I would just rather be safe than sorry. But like you, I respect your position and I'm glad we were able to discuss it with civility. :)

This might actually be a pretty good idea. We had a native Tarantula hide in our towel basket once and give my mother in law a serious spook! It may just be coincidence, but there may be something to it.

Best luck.
I should patent a "Spider Catcher Device". I'll buy a bunch of $3 towels from Walmart, patch the words "Spider Catcher" on it, then sell it for $30. I'll sell it at expos and on here and make millions :pompous:

Toddydog

Arachnosquire
I would search around where you last saw it (near the fridge) look in every small area you can. Look for signs of webbing. I would wager it could be on the bottom of the fridge so maybe stick something around underneath and be ready for a fleeing T.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
So... literally TODAY I moved across the country for school/work, moved in to my new apartment. I remember asking them about pet policy when I was looking, I remember them saying there was a deposit for dog and cat but other animals are fine. HOWEVER now I'm freaking out cuz I had an incident (keep reading) and I double checked my lease and it says no pets whatsoever (even SPECIFIED insects) w/o written approval. So, I don't have written approval, and to be completely frank, I know I asked property managers about the tank pets thing but I am 2nd guessing whether I actually asked this place or if I confused it with another one. Now to get to the bad part.

My GBB escaped. Before we left I handed my dad who was helping me move the tank and when I double checked on my critters after the top screening had been damaged somehow, idk what happened. So we were on a schedule and I didn't have time to go buy a tank and rehouse him right there cuz it was like 5 AM so i sat in the car holding the tank w a book over the top till we get there. As soon as I get in town I went out and bought a new enclosure to transfer him. I get to my new apartment, and shbvtukvftkl I should have been more patient and not rushed her to rehome, she was obviously stressed from the car ride and the gal is already skittish and she spooked. I hecking (ugh, is profanity allowed ) saw her run and I wasn't fast enough and she climbed behind my fridge. Blocked off doors and crevices as much as I could (which was frantic and haphazard because I hadn't unpacked yet), pulled the fridge back, she's not behind it or underneath it, I figure she crawled up inside it. I set up some water and substrate in her old enclosure with webbing and everything and set it on the ground. I'm praying my baby comes back. I know there's not much I can do except look for her and watch my feet while I'm walking.

Now I need advice. I'm extremely worried my baby is going to find a crack or crevice and make a visit one of my new neighbors. First of all I want to confirm or revise what I believe is accurate from my research: that a GBB bite is unpleasant, significant swelling and maybe some cramping, possible nausea... but not usually especially toxic to humans as long as there isn't an allergy/sensitivity. Would probably make a cat or small child sick but I never had to think about that till now so I didn't really research it. I have heard their hairs are generally worse than their bite. If I find Anansi on my own I'm not worried about her hurting me, I've never been bit by a tarantula but I would gladly take it just to see her home safe. She is not aggressive at all, just quite skittish (sometimes she will flinch and run from crickets before she realizes they are food and goes in). I am worried about her wandering into someone else's home. I know everyone says they don't go far when they escape, but at the same time I'm not doubting her at all ever again after this and I figure if she wanted to she could absolutely find some cracks in the wall to go exploring further. She JUST molted to adult colors like a week ago and is still only maybe 2.5 in end to end. I am worried about a lot of things but mainly

A. I could be totally wrong about how toxic he is. I did research and read bite reports on GBB before this happened and the bite reports seemed pretty mild. But for the neighbor kid or cat or somebody with allergies older ppl etc. it could be quite bad and I don't want anyone to get hurt.
2. I don't want her to get sprayed by my apartment or hurt at all in general.
3. I'm also not tryna get evicted

I don't know what to do. I'm really hoping she comes back. Advice is appreciated. I feel so bad
Based on the fact that this is your first post here, I'd bet $ that you'll fine it in 72-96 hours....as long as you didn't crush it under the 'fridge when you pulled it out. It'll settle, web, and look for food. Don't put the 'fridge back.

Best question is: how big is it? If its an adult, you'll find it. If its a sling, likely not.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Based upon the little that we know -- unless someone ended bitten, the others are forced to rely on bite reports, obviously -- C.cyaneopubescens venom is nothing serious for an healthy man/woman. I suppose (and I say 'suppose') no big deal even for a dog (let alone bulky strong dog breeds, like Pitbull etc).

As far cats, keep in mind that those lovely predators are, on the other hand, authentic bonafide Ninja, therefore when a 'Cat VS Spider' scenario happens, 99% of the time is the bugger the one that ends very, very bad -- even if a lot of cats owners always fail to realize this.

Older people; People that aren't so healthy; Toddlers etc are always a case 'per se' and to 'generalize' unfortunately isn't possible, still, the spider's venom potency in question, as we said, isn't dangerous. Granted, venom/s (of all kinds) and little childrens doesn't and never mix.

I hope that you will find your 'GBB', it's only an annoying, epic stressful, matter of 'search, search, search' and pure finest 'luck'. There isn't insider tricks to share, or else.

Anyway, thinking about a crappy scenario, IMO chances is that your spider will die somehow somewhat in a dark crevice rather than enter into one of your neighbours home.
If he has a cat , stay up late or all night keep an eye on cat and boom you find it.
I miss my cats found an escaped T once watching it. Parents refused to buy more cats I gotta move out for that.

What size T? I’ve never caught a sling other then a pokie 2” that escaped.
Obt got lost ,’n chromatis didn’t escape outer tank. None others escaped as slings , I found every adult or juvenile that escaped.