I keep finding my A. Hentzi sling in his water dish. Anyone else have a Tarantula do this?

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
20180912_071728.jpg

So this is the only Tarantula I have had that I consistently find hanging out in his water dish. In the past week he has been in there 3 or 4 times when I go to check in the morning. Anyone else had a sling like this? I help the sling get out when I see him in there. It must piss him off because this teeny tiny sling was flicking at me as I was helping him out. I'm assuming he should be able to climb out no problem rite? I have this water dish in all my small sling enclosures and have never had a T not be able to get out of his water bowl.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
i have an A. chalcodes that went through a phase where it was always either floating on it's water dish or climing on the ceiling if it's enclosure.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
It's monsoon season in just about all of the Aphonopelma territories. Maybe moisten a bit of the substrate through the end of October and make sure the water bowl stays full.

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
It's monsoon season in just about all of the Aphonopelma territories. Maybe moisten a bit of the substrate through the end of October and make sure the water bowl stays full.
Ok, will do. Thanks for the advice.

i have an A. chalcodes that went through a phase where it was always either floating on it's water dish or climing on the ceiling if it's enclosure.

Haha they are just trying to chill at the pool I guess. Its funny because the only time I see the Hentzi sling out is when she in her water dish. Other then that she is deep in her burrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a B smithi who, without fail, will fill her water dish with substrate and sit on it whenever I fill it with water.

Every. Single. Time.

Death Derp

Arachnopeon

same here, every time i check, my chalcodes it was either on the wall or the ceiling

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
Its a small sling so it just worries me that she's sitting there floating in the water. From everything I have read it sounds like they wont drown. So I shouldn't be worried at all, nobody has had a Tarantula drown in their water dish?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Its a small sling so it just worries me that she's sitting there floating in the water. From everything I have read it sounds like they wont drown. So I shouldn't be worried at all, nobody has had a Tarantula drown in their water dish?
A tarantula will drown as easy as a duck.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Ya, that's what I thought. Its just super strange seeing this little guy floating in the middle of his water dish every morning.
One of the main reasons for AB is peace of mind for newer keepers. Enjoy your vacation. Your T’s will make returning home a bit easier.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
nobody has had a Tarantula drown in their water dish?
If anybody claims theirs did then I'd bet £20 that it either actually died elsewhere and then fell into the dish or died as a result of falling onto the rim of the dish and causing some sort of internal injury.

Tarantulas are heinously hard to drown.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You have monsoons in the US? :wideyed:

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
I find my A. hentzi sling atop the water at times, too. That makes me think that the substrate is a little too dry, so when I retrieve him from his swim/walk I also moisten the substrate a little more. That usually keeps him out of the "pool" for a while.

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
I find my A. hentzi sling atop the water at times, too. That makes me think that the substrate is a little too dry, so when I retrieve him from his swim/walk I also moisten the substrate a little more. That usually keeps him out of the "pool" for a while.
It sounds like this is the issue. I will have to add a bit more water to the sub.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
You have monsoons in the US? :wideyed:
It's really just the term used for rainy season though the weather is often violent and notable. Here in Arizona, we wait for the monsoon in anticipation, usually having gotten no rain since January.

During monsoon season in the Southwest, relative humidity rises, the dew point goes nuts, it clouds up almost every afternoon and we get about 1/3 to 1/2 of the rain that we will get all year in those late summer months. It's caused by warm air from the Gulf of Mexico coming up and smashing into cold air coming off the Rockies. It's a completely different weather system than the rest of the year.

All of the animals are completely attuned to the coming of monsoon, as it is crucial to their survival. The male tarantulas come out to find mates during the monsoon.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It's really just the term used for rainy season though the weather is often violent and notable. Here in Arizona, we wait for the monsoon in anticipation, usually having gotten no rain since January.

During monsoon season in the Southwest, relative humidity rises, the dew point goes nuts, it clouds up almost every afternoon and we get about 1/3 to 1/2 of the rain that we will get all year in those late summer months. It's caused by warm air from the Gulf of Mexico coming up and smashing into cold air coming off the Rockies. It's a completely different weather system than the rest of the year.

All of the animals are completely attuned to the coming of monsoon, as it is crucial to their survival. The male tarantulas come out to find mates during the monsoon.
Learn something new every day :) thanks!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

What an adorable sling :bag:shame I only have one right now a supposedly c Marshali that’s growing so slow !!!
Even some adult Ts I see in waterdish:alien g rosea the most!