i just wanted to say thanks to all of you..

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i still consider myself a newbie (got my first scorpion only a few months ago), but from reading everyone's posts (mainly xoskeletonred, skinheaddave, kuggelager, and a few others) i've learned a LOT and found myself even MORE interested in scorpions thanks to you guys. so i just wanted to say thanks for all of the info that you guys post here. keep up the good work :)

im also going to use this post to ask another question :)

i am becoming interrested in Centruroides species, especially c. vittatus, and i am thinking that i want to try to breed them. would 2 females and 1 male in a 5 gallon tank be good? also, what would be the ideal set up for them to breed? anything special need to be done? and if i can actually get them to breed, would i be able to keep all of the babies (when tehy get big enough to leave the mom) in a 55 gallon tank, or is this too big? i have an empty one that i wanna fill up.

thanks everyone.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
To give you some perspective on colony sizes, I have 20 C.exilicauda in a 20 gallon tank. The only thing you need for breeding, other than an otherwise good setup, is some form of flat rock. Now, I have seen my Centruroides mate on a piece of driftwood I have, so the rock may not be strictly necessary. Couldn't hurt, though.

Cheers,
Dave

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
C. vittatus will definitely breed on wood. Actually, it appears to be their preference, though I have seen them breed on rock on occasion as well. A two female to one male ratio will do well with this species and do keep in mind, they are quite communal (after introducing my first male and female, they were breeding withing twenty minutes). A 5 gallon would be good for eight to ten scorps of this species, comfortably (they are small). To tell you the truth, you'd probably be better off keeping them in a 2.5 gallon because a five would seem to swallow their size up, in small numbers. If you do plan to breed them, why not go for a five or ten! heheh... A five would be fine, but the young would require about the same amount of space immediately after coming off the mother's back. C. vittatus has been known to yield a number of young reaching near fifty, take a few due to natural losses. They tend to like a combination of substrates, being from such a wide variety of areas across the US. I use about a third peat, a third gravel and a third sand, while keeping some larger pieces of bark in the enclosure as well. I run mine at 70% humidity and temps from 80-85 Fahrenheit. A 55 gallon would make them appear virtually non existant unless you reached about 50 adults of the species, then they just might match up well.

adios,
edw. :D

Frank

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah same here, I've learned a lot, I was only reading reptiles forums before, and nobody talked about scorps, I was the scorpion-guy there, but as soon as I started to read there, I found out that I was more than a newbie :)

I'm now able to reconize more and more scorps because of you guys, thanks for everything :)

Frank