I just got a B hamorii or maybe a B smithi (who cares)

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I just got an absolutely wonderful new tarantula. After all, isn't it about time that I have a species that can be characterized as friendly? This is the most money I ever spent on a tarantula, $200 including a cage that it shouldn't have been in. Not only that, I had the perfect place for her on my tarantula shelf as well, which is why I got her.

This wonderful sub adult was sold to me as B smithi and I purchased it as such. After posting it elsewhere, some felt that it is actually B hamorii because the legs are slightly more orange rather then a deeper red color. Either way, I don't care!! She's wonderful and worth every penny.

(Anyone wanna bet that there aren't a zillion smithi x hamorii hybrids out there? Me neither!!)

Oh, & that cage she was in will be used for my P. striata once I can figure out how to get the lid to stick on more tightly. Frankly, Brachypelma or not, I'm surprised that she didn't just kick the lid off and go on & about the town. I had to tape it down before I took her home.

With these, I should note that they are reputed to be VERY slow growers. While an excellent first tarantula, large juveniles and sub adults are expensive, big time. If you don't want to lay out $200, get a curly hair instead or a faster growing sling such as B vagens (which is also awesome)

Not only that, the pet store didn't even know which sex she is. I strongly suspect she's female but there is no way to know for sure until she molts, which could literally be in a year or so. Males also live a very long time and she is only about 2.5" DLS.

If they could've sexed her or knew she was a suspect female, the price would've been even higher.

B smithi Samaria likes moss 3.jpg B smithi Samaria likes moss 1.jpg Samaria sexing 1.jpg Samaria sexing 3.jpg

I also put in just a wee bit of moss to absorb any water that might overflow from the water dish and keep it from getting into the substrate.

Just like my L klugi, she absolutely loves chilling out on the moss, all the better for pictures and videos.

A cricket that I put in last night just for giggles has mysteriously vanished, which is why it's good to reuse their old hides etc whenever possible.

I give these guys a rating of 11 out of 10 overall.

I won't be surprised if she's visible just as much as my L klugi is & man she's a real pretty girl just like my pamphobeteous machala is.

Unlike the male H pulchripes that previously lived in that cage, she is much more visible. She's out at least 75% of the time instead of only 25% of the time.

The only thing to keep in mind, as I pointed out before is that slings grow very slowly and they are expensive. Still, that is in no way a reason to rule these out as a first tarantula if you don't want to raise a sling as your first one.

The previous owner obviously cared a great deal for her & she's perfect. Did I already say I'm thrilled?

Yippee!!

Last edited:

iamthepink

Arachnopeon
I found it interesting how a local pet shop didn't sex their Ts either. They said that it doesn't change how they are cared for... so they think it wasn't worth the time. But to me... it would be worth knowing the gender because that determines their life span but whatever. haha thanks for sharing your new T.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
it would be worth knowing the gender because that determines their life span but whatever
Not only that, but they could charge more for a female. The vast majority of pet shops are clueless when it comes to tarantulas.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
She's gorgeous! A little foolish on the pet store not trying to sex her but hey, you got a probable female out of it.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Nice T. ;) and it does look female. But that's a hamorii not a smithi. But still a great T. :happy:

Hope she stays with you for a long time

Last edited by a moderator:

basin79

ArachnoGod
I have an adult female Brachypelma hamorii and she's my favourite tarantula.

I'd personally cover the mesh lid with a piece of perspex. Whilst accidents are rare they can happen.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
These guys know next to nothing about tarantulas. Only one employee is even allowed to handle them or maintain the cages.

Part of the reason I got $30 off is because they were asking me what species to get. Prior to my rescuing the T stirmi, they only had basically OW species.

I suggested Lasiodora species and Acanthoscurria species and they had those. After asking me about where they could get P metallica, I suggested that they get H pulchripes because both sexes are brightly colored (which was mainly what they were interested in)

After I was done paying, they actually held up other customers so that Rick, the owner l could be informed that H pulchripes existed!!

I feel so sorry for them that I'm considering volunteering to train them. Oh, they stopped selling T stirmi. They confirmed that some customers had complained about them dying it returned them due to the urticating hairs.

Let's see, Acanthoscurria geniculata is fair compensation isn't it? They have one of those and 2 Lasiodora striatepes.

The screen is bonded and therefore not really capable of strand separation which can trap the claws and result in limb damage or loss.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Tarantulas literally can get their foot hooks stuck in mesh. That's the potential problem.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
The bonding agent occupies the spaces between the wires in the screen, essentially making it one piece leaving only the holes open. The normal screen holes are to big to trap anything.

Using unbonded screen, typically from the hardware store when building one's own cage, is the problem.

I've examined the screen under my dissecting scope and there's no voids between the wires that could capture a claw. Resin covers the wires and is very evenly distributed, which indicates a quality product.

Once you know what to look for, the differences are obvious.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I found it interesting how a local pet shop didn't sex their Ts either. They said that it doesn't change how they are cared for... so they think it wasn't worth the time. But to me... it would be worth knowing the gender because that determines their life span but whatever. haha thanks for sharing your new T.
I always assume that pet shops only sell males; while pet shops may have no clue about T's, pet store wholesalers that supply these stores sure know the difference.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
This was an owner who dropped off the tarantula because they could no longer keep it, according to the staff. The last tarantula I got from them, a T stirmi, turned out to be a confirmed female after I examined the molt. The C versicolor I got from them is a suspect male but I haven't gotten an intact molt so I'm not sure.

Selling only males implies that they know something about tarantulas, which these guys don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

moshpitpanda

Arachnosquire
Grats on your new T! My b. Vagans was only $10.. is there an expensive brachypelma I don't know about?

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Man, I knew that US prices are high, but 200 $ for 2.5" unsexed hamorii, one of the most common spiders in hobby, that is just insane. Thats like 10 times the normal price of sexed female. :astonished:

Killertut

Arachnosquire
glad to be european. just got B. schroederi and B. auratum slings for 30€ :)

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
B vagens is still awesome no matter what the price is. The fast growing rate and good feeding response makes them more desirable, not less, iny opinion.