I have a q about Huntsmen

N.W.A.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was watching a show on animal planet (or discovery channel) hosted by a guy named Ruud. He was showing various Aussie spiders and bugs and the like. He showed an interesting spider called the Redback. Anyway, to the point. I wanted to know if he was right on when he said that Huntsmen won't bite. I have seen many of these and can properly identify them (I think) and think they are really cool dudes (and dudettes) and might like to have one as a pet. But first I need to know if they are very defensive.

Thanks in advance
N.W.A.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ºķīmb庰 says:
they do bite, but are not aggressive
°ºķīmb庰 says:
they will bite if provoked

From the words of an Aussie I might be going to see soon.. PS shes an arachnophobe and may be dellusional but I take her word for it

ºķīmb庰 says:
Huntsman Spiders...low risk - non-aggressive
°ºķīmb庰 says:
Venom toxicity - the bite of Huntsman Spiders is of low risk (non toxic) to humans. They are a non-aggressive group of spiders. However, a large individual can give a painful bite. Beware in summer when the female Huntsman Spider is guarding her egg sacs or young.

°ºķīmb庰 says:
Habitat - a hunter that prefers to live under the flaking bark of trees, under flat rocks and under eaves or within roof spaces of buildings. The Huntsman Spider often wanders into homes and is found perched on a wall. It is a shy, timid spider that can move sideways at lighting-fast speed when disturbed.

Not sure where shes pulling this info but as stated before I trust her :)

Last edited:

N.W.A.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks man I owe you one. Can you ask her about a huntsman's diet?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Aussie hunstman are a different species than you have in Florida. Weather it bites or not is a moot point. I've rasied many of these, and none have shown anything resembling aggression. They do, however, run with lightning speed, faster than my eyes can follow! When I open the container, I'm not worried about bites. Escapes, however, are a very real concern!

Wade

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've managed to get bitten by an H. venatoria here in Florida. She was injured and I was trying to get her outside. There were no effects other than punctures and a little redness and very mild, almost unnoticable swelling that subsided within. . .I'd guess about 2-3 hours. No pain worth noting other than a slight pinch. Wasp stings and fire ant stings are worse, much worse.

In any case, I've handled a lot of them, and that's the only one that's bitten. I think the stress of being injured caused it. The thing to watch for with them, as Wade says, is speed. They are much quicker and much more agile than most spiders, but not defensive at all, really. Their quickness is what you've got to bear in mind- if you're not careful, your pet will simply be a harmless roommate (that's VERY good at nailing the damned Palmetto bugs we have here!).

Garrick
eight

N.W.A.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah I'll try to keep one in the house... Those palmettos SUCK.