i hate petco aswell but.... could this b a good deal

jesters22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
at my local petco they have ball pythons for 29.99. probly about a foot long. mayb a few inches bigger. they have 3 all in the same tank. i was thinking of getting 2. i havnt rele looking into snakes much yet. but ive always wanted 1.

is this a good deal?

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
it's not bad... as long as they're eating. Ball pythons are notorious for not eating as babies and i doubt petco will have any qualms about selling you one that's less than healthy.

jesters22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wat do u mean not eating? like T"s fast for a while then when they get hungry they will eat? or do u mean actualy not eating till they starve to death?

this is about the size of the 3 of them.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its not bad.. its an average price. If it was me, just save all 3! :rolleyes:

jesters22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
then that means that they get a new shipment in right?.. only downside to a petco or petsmart or w.e

although at petsmart the other day i found a fairly knownledgeable and SMOOKING HOT girl who knew a lot about lizards and more specificly chameleons. it was actualy refreshing. tobad they didnt have T's she wished they carried T's.. i might have to marry that girl.

tjmi2000

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It has been quite common for pet chains like Petco to purchase imported baby ball pythons that have hatched from wild collected eggs in Africa. While some will acclimate to captivity others will never begin to feed and will most definately starve themselves to death. In the long run you are better off to pay more for a well started captive bred snake from a breeder in the US. There are hundreds offered everyday on Kingsnake.

Chilobrachys

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought a saharan sand boa from Petco they said was eating well. There is nooooo way those @ssh*les got that thing to eat. Burn that place down!! (after all the animals are safe of course)

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Don't buy ball pythons from Petco. I worked there and it was a pain in the butt to get those babies to feed at all.

A.iodius

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately it seems to be standard practice with some of the larger pet stores to mark down the price on sick animals so they can sell them fast and cut the losses. By purchasing these animals to save them we only encourage the store to continue to do business this way. Sadly the best thing for the pet hobby is to let the store take the loss and only buy healthy animals from responsible dealers.

Jack III

Arachnocultured
Old Timer
I concure 100%. There will be replacements on the shelf in a matter of days!

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you would like a baby ball python, normals are very easy to come by and at reptile shows you can usually find them for about $25 each. Skip petco...

mantid_mama

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately it seems to be standard practice with some of the larger pet stores to mark down the price on sick animals so they can sell them fast and cut the losses. By purchasing these animals to save them we only encourage the store to continue to do business this way. Sadly the best thing for the pet hobby is to let the store take the loss and only buy healthy animals from responsible dealers.
I agree! I've been to a few reptile and amphib shows where responsible breeders sell healthy snakes and the prices are comparable to that which you saw at PetDeath... I mean Co. I suggest searching the web for a reptile and amphibian show in your area, they usually come around twice a year. Seems like once in the fall and again in the springtime. Good luck!! Ball Pythons are a beautiful creature!

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
normal balls are a dime a dozen. petco does a sale like this every year. i would hold off. these are truly farm bred animals, meaning, as stated before, eggs harvested from the wild and hatched.

trust me when i say this! it is very difficult to get snakes that don't want to eat to actually eat! buying a established baby from a breeder will save you headaches in the long run.

BTW i once saw a breeder on a ball python site give his normals away as long as the person paid for shipping.

dberes

Arachnopeon
Even at shows there is a good chance you will be buying farm hatched bps, but the difference is the dealers usually take the time to get them to feed first over here. Atleast well respected and trustworthy dealers do anyways.

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When you go to shows to buy one, MANY ball python breeders have a lot of extra normals. These are at the booths that specifically breed ball pythons, not the tables that just have craploads of imports.

jesters22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thank you guys for the heads up.. i wont b buying the bp from petco. and will find an online breeder with good feedback when i finaly decide to purchase one. or a few haha.

KoffinKat138

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
despite there BPs are Bush Babys
you can find some cool pattern ones
i bought one not too long ago from them that i could have swore it was a pastel,but it never even took a meal so i ended up just getting my money back, its better to just by Captive Bred.