I get to bring my A. Crassicaudas back from Iraq!

Swemba

Arachnopeon
Hey all, good news I get to bring back 4 of my Androctonus Crassicaudas back from Iraq. Unfortunately I had to dispose of the 8 of them:( I know for a fact one of them I kept is a female and the other 3 I kept based on activity level and aggressiveness. She has mated, but i'm sure she's too stressed in the current setup for her to give birth, she hasn't even swelled up. Some questions I have though. I have to put them in a sealed non-breakable container with no dirt or anything. I have like a collapsable coleman juice container I got that should meet customs. What can I do to make sure they survive being in there a few days. I already know they can go without eating for weeks and don't really need water. Should I put in a moist napkin or leave it dry? Anything I should be weary of? Carry on or belly of the plane?

Also, these things eat frogs lol. I've been having trouble finding lizards for them to eat, but I caught a nice sized frog about 4in, they got mashed by it a few times but eventually caught it and stung it. I they even shared the kill. Love how communal they are.

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nice
i would just pack the container with paper towel(dry)and they should be fine.
i would definitely carry them if at all possible.
wanna see pics(and let me know if you have an extra male lol)
andy

Swemba

Arachnopeon
thanks for posting the pics fauxshow. unfortunetely the female seems sick or something. i believe she has a broken front leg as dirt keeps stick to where the joint is and she kind lunges on that side when walking. shes acting sick too just real slow and won't open her claws. donno, hope she makes it. the large male is a tail flicking demon though. bends up and grabs the tongs when you pick him up by the tail.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hey congatulations on being able to keep some of your catch! sorry you couldnt keep all of your haul, but its awesome to know that you wont have to part with your commrades after all. just slightly xcurious how you managed this. did you have to get special authorization, or did it just turn out to not be against the rules? Im sure that this information might be invaluable to future scorpion enthusiasts who serve their country overseas.

John

Swemba

Arachnopeon
I personally went to the MP on this and he said insects are fine aslong as they are in a sealed unbreakable container. He said put duct tape around it so its obvious it isn't coming open. No rock or soil can be present. This was while we where packing up containers for shipping home. Now who knows, when I get to Kuwait customs is run by the Navy and I might get dive tackled by a bunch of desk jockies with side arms. I know on my last deployment insects weren't aloud. Maybe this changed with soldiers fascination with camel spiders or something lol.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks like the only good thing we can take from Iraq is the oil and scorpions...

Just kidding Im happy that you can take your crass's back.

dpjm

Arachnopeon
Are you allowed to poke some ventilation holes in the container? If you put the scorpion between layers of paper towel it will limit the mechanical damage, but don't wet them, because the humidity might become a factor in a sealed container. Carry it on if you can.

Swemba

Arachnopeon
Well a few problems now. Ran into another MP doing customs and consulted him as per my PLT SGT's bidding. He says I can't take them and the other guy must of misread or not gave a shit. He showed be the book and they can be taken in Acrylic sealed only. Like those paperweight things. Unfortunetely my female died so I might have that done with her.

On the lighter side I fed them a small mouse and have a video I will post when I get something with some bandwith. I also got a few more pics.

If you look close you can see the carcass of the much larger frog they ate.

One with the mouse.

If in the end I can't get these home which it looks like I won't, I'm looking for some Crassicaudas if anyone knows a seller.

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
JUst put them in taped match boxes and open some breathing wholes u can keep them in ur hand bag ive sent some to greece with my cousin like that.

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They should be fine. Just put some paper towels to absorb any impact they might have and to keep them seperate.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
im thinking the consequences for smuggling something back on a military transport are probably much more severe than on a commercial airline. sorry buddy, but im sure we'll be able to help u find some when you get back.

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha it's all they eat, countless lizards upwards of 20 have fallen victim, one frog and one mouse.
But why? Because you don't feed them anything else or because they reject invertebrate prey? I would find the latter improbable. It is more natural, considered more healthy, and arguably less cruel to feed them insects.

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You are somewhat limited as to feeders that are available in a combat zone. Go easy.