I found a way to cure the itch from urticating hairs!!!!!!!!

Meezerkoko

Arachnoknight
Okay so I've been suffering from itchy hands due to urticating hairs ever since I got my first B. emilia in February (he never even haired me, just handling him was enough to cause me to have itchy hands and ongoing tiny blisters), he died the same month, however my reaction was extreme enough that my hands were still itchy til a couple days ago. My itching was most severe in the morning and would sometimes continue during the day.

I'd come across something that had tons of uses for Epson salts and one of them was that it alleivates itching, so I decided to try it. I took a very large flat tupperware container that was not very deep 4-5" deep x 14" round and added a few Tbsp of Epson Salts to it, then I put a small amount of hot water in it (just enough to dissolve the salt) and swished it around to get the salt dissolved, then I added cool water so that it would be enough to cover my hands. I put my hands in and kept them in for about 3-5 minutes and then washed and dried them.

They were still a little itchy after that so I applied a little benadryl gel and after that the itching stopped. It hasn't come back and I've handled a few T's since then (which confirms to me that it was just the emilia that caused the ongoing reaction). I have yet to hold my new emilia since the itching stopped and I'm a bit reluctant to do so and I may don some nytrile gloves before I do.

Anyways, I really hope this helps anyone who is currently suffering from a strong reaction to urticating hairs. I'm very happy to have found this since I'm sure that B. emilias won't be the only T's to cause me to react. I imagine if you are having a stronger reaction repeated soakings and/or increasing the amount of Epson salts in the water.

:biggrin:

Munch

Arachnosquire
I have heard you can use baby powder and it will stop itching

Arachtion

Arachnobaron
What I found helps me is using a razor and shaving the affected area, I suffer terribly from them.

cmcghee358

Arachnoknight
Maybe I'm misreading this but what you describe tells me the benedryl cream helped not the salt?

Taranto1989

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you want to go herbal Lambs foot works like a charm too. It grows wild near nettles and has the same effect on U. hairs as it does nettle barbs (which are terrible and very painful).

Meezerkoko

Arachnoknight
Maybe I'm misreading this but what you describe tells me the benedryl cream helped not the salt?
No the salt helped a lot and honestly if I'd done it a little longer/ waited til the next morning it may have worked fine on its own. I just needed a bit more itch relief which came in the form of benadryl. They worked great together.