I found a p. hanumavilasumica at my local pet store.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I agree on this one. I've already got one pokie on the way so I might as well dig my grave deeper by getting another! Wow, i'm gonna be shunned for a while lol :embarrassed:. Do you live in the houston area? (as you're taking a sick leave to, as i infer, pick up the T.)
What other pokie did you get? I won't shun you, though some lrobably will. I will tell ya to be super careful though!

awiec

Arachnoprince
I agree on this one. I've already got one pokie on the way so I might as well dig my grave deeper by getting another! Wow, i'm gonna be shunned for a while lol :embarrassed:. Do you live in the houston area? (as you're taking a sick leave to, as i infer, pick up the T.)
No one is going to shun you, just maybe shake their heads at an impulsive teenager, then we will move on to whatever new thread somebody made asking about why their rose hair won't eat.

Though P.metallica, considered one of the most endangered tarantulas in the world, can be easily bought and I've seen a few pet stores have them in stock. As long as there is a population being bred in the US regularly then it's not uncommon to get an endangered species as a legal pet.

Last edited:

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
What other pokie did you get? I won't shun you, though some lrobably will. I will tell ya to be super careful though!
I got a P. regalis as they seem to be the most reluctant to bite from the bite reports and threads i was reading. But I'm nervous/excited although it's still a good feeling because I know it will help my "fear" of the terrible, evil, child murdering, flesh eating, OW T venom, Instead of being scared of just a little pain compared to my pokie.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Actually I don't have work on Friday, or Thursday.
Ah ah you seem a funny man too.

One of my excuse is this: I'm multi-tasking when it comes to religions so I can't work on certain days.

On Saturday, I'm Jewish. Sunday I'm Christian Catholic, the Friday I'm Muslim, and so on, living upon what the mighty Wimpy and his 'Hamburger Tuesday' teached to us :)

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
Ah ah you seem a funny man too.

One of my excuse is this: I'm multi-tasking when it comes to religions so I can't work on certain days.

On Saturday, I'm Jewish. Sunday I'm Christian Catholic, the Friday I'm Muslim, and so on, living upon what the mighty Wimpy and his 'Hamburger Tuesday' teached to us :)
Coincidentally, Im taking Thursday and Friday paid Holiday off because of Rosh Hashanah. So Im a Catholic who celebrates Jewish Holidays! How lovely! *** does the macarena from happiness ***

awiec

Arachnoprince
I got a P. regalis as they seem to be the most reluctant to bite from the bite reports and threads i was reading. But I'm nervous/excited although it's still a good feeling because I know it will help my "fear" of the terrible, evil, child murdering, flesh eating, OW T venom, Instead of being scared of just a little pain compared to my pokie.
Thats quite the descriptor for OWs you got there, none of the OW species venom is going to melt flesh or kill children. What it can do is put you in an obnoxious amount of pain, where even things like morphine is not going to help. That is the risk that people who keep OW accept but I think the most common complaint that you will hear from people is that you, as a minor, decided to take that risk while getting your family dragged into it (they're the ones who will have to pay the medical bills after all). I still encourage you to stick around and if something does go wrong there are a lot of people to help or help you re-home spiders you don't want anymore.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
So I went to my favorite pet store (pets-a-plenty in hockley tx if any of you were wondering) and I found a 3-5 inch p. hanumavilasumica for 150$, so I instantly became curious just because of the super weird name and because it's a pokie (my favorite genus :)). So I looked them up and they're apparently critically endangered? And they're apparently "rare" in the hobby and I was wondering what you guys thought of it, and if I should think of buying it.
It's up to you. I bought a P. hanumavilasumica at a LPS some months ago as a sling for very cheap but even though I have always considered this store reputable I am still not 100% on the species until I can verify ID via ventral patterns when it's closer to adult size, which I was aware of and fine with at time of purchase. If you spend $150 and it turns out female I wouldn't consider it a big loss regardless of species IMO

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Thats quite the descriptor for OWs you got there, none of the OW species venom is going to melt flesh or kill children. What it can do is put you in an obnoxious amount of pain, where even things like morphine is not going to help. That is the risk that people who keep OW accept but I think the most common complaint that you will hear from people is that you, as a minor, decided to take that risk while getting your family dragged into it (they're the ones who will have to pay the medical bills after all). I still encourage you to stick around and if something does go wrong there are a lot of people to help or help you re-home spiders you don't want anymore.
Yep. I couldn't say it better myself. I know that they don't eat babies or melt flesh but if they did, it would make them pretty rad! I'm thankfully in the south where people kiss venomous snakes with no training, so me getting a pokie would be absolutely nothing lol. I will try to tough out the pain as i'm such a cheap a** that I would rather have agonizing pain and cramps for days than get some pain killers. Also, my mom had sciatica (weird butt nerve that hurts) Issues so she has mega ibuprofen and I made sure to get some What-cha-ma-call-it, Oh, what is it... AHAH Antihystamines to help with it, even though it'll still hurt like a (insert metaphor here).

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yep. I couldn't say it better myself. I know that they don't eat babies or melt flesh but if they did, it would make them pretty rad! I'm thankfully in the south where people kiss venomous snakes with no training, so me getting a pokie would be absolutely nothing lol.
This is precisely the attitude I hate in inexperienced keepers-- acting like getting an OW is 'nothing'. Keeping a very large, very fast, very skittish tarantula with potent venom is never 'nothing.'

Ahhhh to be a teenager with a woefully unmyelinated brain again.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes

Yes! I shall call you shadow and you can follow me everywhere lol but no for real what's it take to get rid of the arachno peon lable lmao
It's related to your number of posts... at a certain number there's a new 'title'.

Adrsfinest

Arachnopeon
It's related to your number of posts... at a certain number there's a new 'title'.
Ah okay I have not even figured out how to make posts year I've looked everywhere and can't figure it out idk if it's just my phone or what because there's been a few times I wanted to ask questions and couldn't figure it out

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
This is precisely the attitude I hate in inexperienced keepers-- acting like getting an OW is 'nothing'. Keeping a very large, very fast, very skittish tarantula with potent venom is never 'nothing.'

Ahhhh to be a teenager with a woefully unmyelinated brain again.
Oh, I misread this the first time. What I meant by that was pokies in comparison to venomous snakes, it's like a high school baseball player vs Babe Ruth. Babe Ruth will win always but the high school player can still kick my a**. Sorry if it sounded like I was brushing off the true power of the spider, I was just trying to show that I don't want to be scared of the spider but more of a respect towards the animal. I know it was probably a dumb move on my part to even get this spider, but I felt that I could handle it and that I will take my own route to keeping T's. It may be a little backwards and weird but it's the way it will work for me and I truly believe that I, user RhysAndFish on Arachnoboards can conquer the 3" P. regalis.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Ah okay I have not even figured out how to make posts year I've looked everywhere and can't figure it out idk if it's just my phone or what because there's been a few times I wanted to ask questions and couldn't figure it out
I started a thread a bit ago thinking the same thing, so if you want, you can look at my profile and find it!