I found a p. hanumavilasumica at my local pet store.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
So I went to my favorite pet store (pets-a-plenty in hockley tx if any of you were wondering) and I found a 3-5 inch p. hanumavilasumica for 150$, so I instantly became curious just because of the super weird name and because it's a pokie (my favorite genus :)). So I looked them up and they're apparently critically endangered? And they're apparently "rare" in the hobby and I was wondering what you guys thought of it, and if I should think of buying it.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yes they are critically endangered.. and this makes me curious as to how it wound up in a petshop. :bored:

Are you sure it is hanumavilasumica?

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Yes they are critically endangered.. and this makes me curious as to how it wound up in a petshop. :bored:

Are you sure it is hanumavilasumica?
I'm pretty sure! It looked like a pokie and that's a pretty unforgettable name! Hmm, I wonder how they got it? Maybe, a rescue or trade in?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well if what you saw is really a P.hanumavilasumica (and maybe female) $150 are nothing, nothing considered the average U.S T's prices.

It's up to you. Personally (being you I mean as Chris in the U.S lol) I would first 100% I.D the bugger, see the average conditions (in general T's in Pet Shops are not always in good shape, uh) and then, bam! buying that even if I'm not that much into arboreals.

If those features are present (correct I.D, good shape in general, maybe a female) IMO that's a steal. Up to you if you are 'ready' for a fast, defensive, potent venom Theraphosidae, of course.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Well if what you saw is really a P.hanumavilasumica (and maybe female) $150 are nothing, nothing considered the average U.S T's prices.

It's up to you. Personally (being you I mean as Chris in the U.S lol) I would first 100% I.D the bugger, see the average conditions (in general T's in Pet Shops are not always in good shape, uh) and then, bam! buying that even if I'm not that much into arboreals.

If those features are present (correct I.D, good shape in general, maybe a female) IMO that's a steal. Up to you if you are 'ready' for a fast, defensive, potent venom Theraphosidae.
I'm pretty sure it was! I will probably pick it up if it's there when we go back. It was definitely a pokie of some sort.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm pretty sure it was! I will probably pick it up if it's there when we go back. It was definitely a pokie of some sort.
Well, even if you aren't 100% sure of the I.D, without pics or else, I have absolutely no reasons for not believing you, at the end :)

If you opt for one, they aren't however hard to keep, nor defensive the way they are always viewed. Fast as 'light', hell sure yes.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It wouldn't be the first time that a tarantula was mislabeled in a pet store. Not saying that it's not what they say it is, only that I wouldn't put money on it.

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
They're in the hobby, rare but in the hobby. Most petshops have a stockist, some even know what they're ordering. Not always but it happens or people trade in, don't know or care how rare etc

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
They're in the hobby, rare but in the hobby. Most petshops have a stockist, some even know what they're ordering. Not always but it happens or people trade in, don't know or care how rare etc
I know they are in the hobby. They are fairly well established here. But I am not so sure about US. I just dont see this species being sold at petshop. I wouldnt expect it in Europe either. As usually petshops only sell common sp. that Joe Public have heard of and will be more willing to buy .. Unless it was handed in by a hobbyist.

The thing is that it is just 1 juvenile. Where if was CB I would expect more than one?

I expect this to be mislabel... well hope that it is. Seeing as petshops are notorious for WC.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
if you can, id just ask the shop if they would be OK with you examining it a little closer and seeing if you can snag a few good pictures of it.

it definitely is rare in the Hobby here in the states but for sure still possible, even at a pet shop.
i dont know how things are in texas, but here where i live there are a few Shops that went as far to hire on a few "spider guys" as they call them. usually some local hobbiest/breeder that knows what they are doing, and usually only part time, they come in maybe 1-2 days a week, but the shops where i live have had an explosion of cool/rare T's since doing this so its for sure possible.

some of our local shops went from having only a few rose hairs and curly hairs, to having species like O. Phillipinus/ S. Calcateum/ OBT's/ T. Sp. Panama's/ Munchin and pumpkin patch H. Sp. Columbia's/ ETC. not exactly the rarest of species, but almost over night it was a nice change from the standard Brachy's and grammy's to Plenty of OW's and NW's and them ACTUALLY being well taken care of, in nice enclosures built around their needs and not around what looks good for display and such.

i will still suggest getting it somewhat ID'd before purchasing but if it is what they say it is, definitely a nice deal.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
It wouldn't be the first time that a tarantula was mislabeled in a pet store. Not saying that it's not what they say it is, only that I wouldn't put money on it.
This petshop actually knows a good amount of info on T's and I wouldn't be surprised if that really was a P. hanumavilasumica and they didn't know how rare they were!

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
UPDATE: They replied to my email saying that it was a P. hanumavilasumica and i'm going to ask for photos of it.

UPDATE 2.0: They sent the photos so i'll let you guys i'd he/she:

Attachments

Last edited:

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
hmm it looks like a normal pokie sling/juvie to me. I'm too much of a pokie newbie to tell.

Adrsfinest

Arachnopeon
Are they still rare and endangered? Just curious because I see quite a few online stores selling them for $50 and under

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod